Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    If DU gets the guy they are targeting, you'll find similarities to Gwozdecky hiring in 1996. But is not Enrico, any Gwozdecky disciple or a DU alum.
    So who are they targeting?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      John Hill

Comment

Coach Gwozdecky is a legend. He can sit back and wait for the perfect situation. And I'll certainly be cheering for any school that hires him every time they play.
        Side question, have any of the recruits signed NLIs? I did a quick google search and didn't find any official releases from DU athletics about commitments?
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post

So the decision was made a few weeks ago to buy out Gwozdecky's contract and use the same formula to find a coach they used in 1996 hiring Gwozdecky. Funny thing is, they had a deal in place and a handshake with Maine's Shawn Walsh in 1994 and he stabbed DU in the back, so Gwozdecky fell into DU's lap.
          DU hired Gwozdecky in 1994 and I am pretty sure the "Walsh agreement" was in 1990. I thought DU hired Frank Serratore as second choice after Walsh fell through but Gwoz was hired as first choice. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought Dan Ritchie wanted to make some noise with his first hiring and i thought that was Walsh in 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
            John Hill
            Encouraging.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Sorry, I can't share that.

All I can share is that former Chancellor Dan Ritchie is heavily involved in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                Gwoz to Michigan State or Penn State, he's looking for B1G money.
                We're good, thanks!
                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Side question, have any of the recruits signed NLIs? I did a quick google search and didn't find any official releases from DU athletics about commitments?
                  Butcher, Moore, Hawkinson and Van Voorhis were officially announced in December 2012. DU only announced the players who have signed NLIs. Also Nick Neville, Ray Pigozzi, Connor Chatham, Landon Smith and Tyler Pham are supposed to be joining the team next season.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205843017
                  Last edited by du78; 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard
                    It was '94 when Maine was going through its NCAA issues.

He thought about getting out before the NCAA heat came down, but Maine re-upped his contract.
                    But why would DU go after a coach who just created a NCAA uproar?

I'm pretty positive it was 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

Ok you're right. I had it backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

Ok you're right. I had it backwards.
                        Wasn't it between Gwoz and former DUer Rich Preston when Gwoz was hired?
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

• Originally posted by du78 View Post
                          Wasn't it between Gwoz and former DUer Rich Preston when Gwoz was hired?
                          Rich Preston was a finalist, that I know for sure. I think there were five interviews given with either Frank Anzalone or Jeff Jackson (possibly both) getting in plus one or two others. My dad was on both search committees in '90 and '94 and we talked extensively about them but it has also been quite a while so I don't totally remember all that we discussed. I do remember that there was a real push to hire an alum and more than a few were disappointed when one didn't get the job.

It's going to be interesting to see who is interested and who gets interviewed this time around.

It is still just so shocking that we are even having to think about this. So many major changes for next year: a new league, a new coach, possibly a whole new staff, questions on commits and current players so the roster could be different...hopefully something stays the same for next year.

Comment

Just curious from a NH perspective, but how does this impact Dave Lassonde? Is he a realistic candidate for the HC post? could he be out all together if the new guy wants his own staff?

Like I said, just curious...would be a shame to see Dave not have a chair when the music stops after only being there a couple years.
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

LOL ... they are trying to poach a guy from a league that isn't the B1G or NCHC. I love irony.

Comment

I have a hunch, and it is that they're going after Hastings.

(I have no actual information, like I said, just a hunch)
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X