Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Stauber has it about right in one of his posts above.

Gwoz was imagining himself as the GM of DU Hockey ... he was "Burkeing" it. No way he goes to some podunk gig to rebuild anything or go to Omaha. He doesn't have what that takes anyway. This is a guy who wants to have his cake and eat it too. I can't feature him as an assistant in the NHL even. He'll be all about a B1G gig. In his mind he is a big fish in a big pond kind of guy. He'd take a gig overseas head coaching somewhere perhaps before he'd stoop to anything less than a B1G job.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
      Stauber has it about right in one of his posts above.

Gwoz was imagining himself as the GM of DU Hockey ... he was "Burkeing" it. No way he goes to some podunk gig to rebuild anything or go to Omaha. He doesn't have what that takes anyway. This is a guy who wants to have his cake and eat it too. I can't feature him as an assistant in the NHL even. He'll be all about a B1G gig. In his mind he is a big fish in a big pond kind of guy. He'd take a gig overseas head coaching somewhere perhaps before he'd stoop to anything less than a B1G job.
      Time will tell. I think the money thing is a bit overblown. He is a family guy and location will enter into the decision. I expect we'll know by early June. At any rate, I respect the guy and what he has accomplished here. I'm still very much in shock.
      Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
        Time will tell. I think the money thing is a bit overblown. He is a family guy and location will enter into the decision. I expect we'll know by early June. At any rate, I respect the guy and what he has accomplished here. I'm still very much in shock.
        Not trying to be a dick, but if it wasn't about money what was it about?
        In the past 12 years he's gotten Denver 9 NCAA appearances, 3 league titles, 3 conference tournament titles and 2 national championships. What more could one reasonably ask for?

I don't care who the A.D. is, you don't let a guy like that go unless he is demanding more than you can give. And if he's demanding that from a program he has spent 19 years with, he's going to be demanding it from any future employer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
          Not trying to be a dick, but if it wasn't about money what was it about?
          In the past 12 years he's gotten Denver 9 NCAA appearances, 3 league titles, 3 conference tournament titles and 2 national championships. What more could one reasonably ask for?

I don't care who the A.D. is, you don't let a guy like that go unless he is demanding more than you can give. And if he's demanding that from a program he has spent 19 years with, he's going to be demanding it from any future employer as well.
          I agree this is all about $$$; and he and DU obviously were at an impasse on the bottom line. Unless there are serious ideological and relational differences at work here, IMO a bad move for DU to let a guy of this caliber move on.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            No way he goes to some podunk gig to rebuild anything or go to Omaha.
            If UAA can come up with somewhat of an attractive salary, I'll go out on a limb and say Gwoz still has the "pioneering spirit" (sorry about the pun) to take UAA on and attempt to elevate the program much like he did at DU.

Comment

Holy crap!! I thought this was some kind of April Fool's joke when I first saw it.
              Signature under construction.....bids being accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post
                Holy crap!! I thought this was some kind of April Fool's joke when I first saw it.
                I think we all did, and there's still a chance we're all going to feel REAL silly later today.

Comment

Gwoz to Michigan State or Penn State, he's looking for B1G money.

Comment

Here's the dealio.

Gwozdecky had a 10 year contract signed in [midseason] 2002 when DU was #1 in the country and Michigan State & Sconnie were about to conduct coaching searches. Then they extended after the 2004 Natty to stretch the contract expire after next season. Very unusual provision in the contract was a $1 million dollar annuity that would only be paid at the end of the contract. This was back when a $1 million actually got you more than a cup of coffee and a haircut. But I digress.

Around 2009 Gwozdecky wants to extend his contract to carry him to retirement. At the same time DU has re-upped basketball coach Joe Scott, now the highest paid person at the university, while the hoops team is lucky to draw 500 fans a night. Someone ran to the Denver Post and all the juicy numbers are splashed all over town.

In June 2009 DU signed lax coach Bill Tierney for significantly less than market value and less than Tierney made at Princeton. Suddenly DU is on the map in lax, and hockey takes a little dip in prestige at DU.

In April 2010, the Ohio State job opens up and Gwozdecky goes from consultant to candidate in the blink of an eye. But to get Gwozdecky, OSU would have to pay the annuity, give Gwozdecky his money and spend money for all the bells and whistles Gwozdecky would need to build a winner. Ohio State, with all the money in the world, says "No thank you."

DU continues to tell everyone they are going to re-sign Gwozdecky & Tierney to deals, but there's no hurry with Gwozdecky because of the annuity.

Between 2010 and present DU gets knocked around like a beachball because of conference affiliation [WCHA->NCHC, Sunbelt->WAC->Summit League], spends millions trying to find a home for hoops and and finds out that hockey, skiing, lacrosse and gymnastics success isn't worth a crap in the new world order. Especially when you don't have a football program.

So the decision was made a few weeks ago to buy out Gwozdecky's contract and use the same formula to find a coach they used in 1996 hiring Gwozdecky.

If DU gets the guy they are targeting, you'll find similarities to Gwozdecky hiring in 1996. But is not Enrico, any Gwozdecky disciple or a DU alum.
                    Last edited by dggoddard; 04-02-2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      We would love to have that resume and success (err...I mean failure according to the DU Athletic Director) here at Wisconsin.
                      Go Badgers!

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                        Here's the dealio.

If DU gets the guy they are targeting, you find similarities to Gwozdecky hiring in 1996.
                        Or, DU could be looking at reliving through the suffering of 1975-1995.

I don't know how anyone can see this as anything but a high risk, low reward move with respect to the on-ice product (and a high risk, high reward move financially).

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          Or, DU could be looking at reliving through the suffering of 1975-1995.

I don't know how anyone can see this as anything but a high risk, low reward move with respect to the on-ice product (and a high risk, high reward move financially).
                          I don't fire the coaches, I just blog about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            I don't fire the coaches, I just blog about it.
                            Fair enough, I do note you didn't disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                              I think he'll head east. My first guess is Northeastern.
                              ..such a longshot..
                              but please please please let this be somewhat true..!
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                                Fair enough, I do note you didn't disagree.
                                Coach Gwozdecky is a legend. He can sit back and wait for the perfect situation. And I'll certainly be cheering for any school that hires him every time they play.

Comment

Working...
                                X