Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    tUMD..if they hadn't won that title, that job was going to be open. I wouldn't rule out MI, if Red retires, given tMel's (MTU) contract. Other than that? I have no clue.
    My gut says that Michigan State shouldn't be discounted.

Comment

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      My gut says that Michigan State shouldn't be discounted.
      Reading other posts, the pipe dream is WI, also. I can't disagree with MSU, though.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Gfm I was responding to brent.

What if umd lost in ot to michigan rather than winning? Sandelin would have been in trouble? And is
        Umd even considered a "big" job compared to miami? Seem similar to me. Also, I have to believe michigan will go with somebody who has ties to the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

What if umd lost in ot to michigan rather than winning? Sandelin would have been in trouble? And is
          Umd even considered a "big" job compared to miami? Seem similar to me. Also, I have to believe michigan will go with somebody who has ties to the program.
          Blasi has ties to Michigan. Has some defeats too
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

There were rumblings. I agree it would be a general lateral move, but with guaranteed games against MN (MN Cup/revenue), it might be more of a spotlight job (tv coverage, etc). Helps the resume. Granted, I dunno the Miami tv coverage.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Reading other posts, the pipe dream is WI, also. I can't disagree with MSU, though.
              I think it's natural to go with the big time powerhouses. I think the smaller schools, the ones that are struggling might cease the opportunity and pony up. I think that might be enticing to him. On the other hand he could pull in many of his current staff members in a bigger school. Orono is another option.
              Go Pioneers!

Comment

A lot of the speculation of where Gwoz could go might end up depending on two things:

1. How much of a gulf is there between Wisconsin's desire to bring Gwoz back to his alma mater and Gwoz's desire to do something else, like build up a smaller program?
                2. Is Barry able to wake up from his post-Rose Bowl hibernation long enough to see the opportunity? Does he even know what Eaves looks like if he wants to find him and fire him to pick up Gwoz?
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                  I think it's natural to go with the big time powerhouses. I think the smaller schools, the ones that are struggling might cease the opportunity and pony up. I think that might be enticing to him. On the other hand he could pull in many of his current staff members in a bigger school. Orono is another option.
                  No one is struggling more than MSU.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    Will people get fired with the hope of hiring Gwoz? Anyone who did that would be a complete idiot. But we're also crazy to think that, by the end of the week or early next, schools that have contemplated a change will put feelers out. This happens in college football all the time, and while not all college hockey schools are football powers, it's reasonable to assume that they'd understand how that game is played. Especially ADs who used to be Division I college football coaches.

GFM
                    It's hard to believe anyone would fire their coach without first making an offer to Gwozdecky and getting a verbal agreement from him.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                      I think he'll head east. My first guess is Northeastern.
                      Again, I just find that incredibly hard to believe.

Looking critically at the situation, it's hard to come to any other conclusion than Gwozdecky was demanding more money than DU was willing to offer him. He was already one of the highest paid coaches in college hockey. If he wanted more than that, are any middling programs really going to be able to offer it to him? How many are in a position to make their coach one of the top-5 highest paid in the country? Tech saddled up a pretty darn big contract for Pearson, but that was an unusual situation and one where they showed just how much they were committed to bringing the program back to national relevancy. And I'm not even sure a similar contract would be enough to land Gwoz (although I don't have the numbers in front of me).

I just don't see any school outside of the Big10 being in a position to pay Gwozdecky what he is asking for.
                      So I'll reiterate. It seems to me his options are the Big 10, trying his luck in the NHL in some capacity or moving on from coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                        Again, I just find that incredibly hard to believe.

Looking critically at the situation, it's hard to come to any other conclusion than Gwozdecky was demanding more money than DU was willing to offer him. He was already one of the highest paid coaches in college hockey. If he wanted more than that, are any middling programs really going to be able to offer it to him? How many are in a position to make their coach one of the top-5 highest paid in the country? Tech saddled up a pretty darn big contract for Pearson, but that was an unusual situation and one where they showed just how much they were committed to bringing the program back to national relevancy. And I'm not even sure a similar contract would be enough to land Gwoz (although I don't have the numbers in front of me).

I just don't see any school outside of the Big10 being in a position to pay Gwozdecky what he is asking for.
                        So I'll reiterate. It seems to me his options are the Big 10, trying his luck in the NHL in some capacity or moving on from coaching.
                        I hear you on the money piece and from that perspective the Big 10 would be an obvious choice. I just think that as others have said, it isn't often when a top five coach comes available on short notice. There are some other programs that could pull it off and the pay off could be big. A program that is floundering could once again have life in a pretty short period of time. The whole landscape of CH is changing as we speak. Look at the tourney.
                        Last edited by MagnessMan; 04-02-2013, 12:02 AM.
                        Go Pioneers!

Comment

http://www.gghockeycamp.com/
                          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                            It's hard to believe anyone would fire their coach without first making an offer to Gwozdecky and getting a verbal agreement from him.
                            exactly right. I'd have to assume Gwoz isn't going to want to re-build a program unless it's a place like an MSU or Maine with some history and the chance because of the history and his skill to turn things around in 2-3 years.

Wisconsin is interesting because w/all the resources at his disposal Mike Eaves has not cut it, or...or at least to a growing number of fans (myself included) that seems to be the consensus. however, does Barry "I'm not a Hockey Guy" Alvarez even know there's a hockey team on campus? I mean maybe if Ron Dayne called and wanted to coach hockey he'd take a peek into the KC sometime on a non-bouncyball weekend. but still. Would Alvarez pull the trigger now after Eaves made the NCAA's? even if it's for only the 3 time in 7 years (AND WE EXPECT BETTER THAN THAT!)??
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              exactly right. I'd have to assume Gwoz isn't going to want to re-build a program unless it's a place like an MSU or Maine with some history and the chance because of the history and his skill to turn things around in 2-3 years.

Wisconsin is interesting because w/all the resources at his disposal Mike Eaves has not cut it, or...or at least to a growing number of fans (myself included) that seems to be the consensus. however, does Barry "I'm not a Hockey Guy" Alvarez even know there's a hockey team on campus? I mean maybe if Ron Dayne called and wanted to coach hockey he'd take a peek into the KC sometime on a non-bouncyball weekend. but still. Would Alvarez pull the trigger now after Eaves made the NCAA's? even if it's for only the 3 time in 7 years (AND WE EXPECT BETTER THAN THAT!)??
                              I don't see it happening. Eaves and Gwoz are on equal footing in my book. How much time does he have on his contract?
                              Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

I'll preface by saying I really hope Gwozdecky doesn't end up in Madison (I'm a Gopher fan, Gwozdecky is a hell of a coach, and I'd be worried about how good Wisconsin could be under him).
                                And also that all I really know about Alvarez is what I read on these boards.

But even if Alvarez is ******** in regards to hockey, not everyone in Madison is. This is going to come to his attention. To me, the question is how long it will take for those around him to make the case that this would be a great move for Badger Hockey. If they wait too long, the greater the chance another team will figure out a way to pay the man.

I suppose the other non-big 10 option would be Omaha. Blais is past retirement and seems to really be losing his edge. It's a program that seems like it is ready to throw gobs of money toward making the hockey team successful. But the question there is twofold:
                                Just how big of a gob are they prepared to throw, and...
                                Could Gwozdecky handle living in ****ing Omaha?

Comment

Working...
                                X