PDA

View Full Version : Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Shirtless Guy
04-02-2013, 12:55 PM
I have two non-Hastings hunches but yours is just as valid as mine.so why don't you share your hunches?

Shirtless Guy
04-02-2013, 12:59 PM
You realize that your opinion is worthless on this issue, right Donald? All of you idiots that have nothing to say about Gwoz other than how big an a-hole he is are obviously blind and stupid when it comes to seeing what he does and what he's about. Go **** yourself, and have a nice day. :DThis whole situation makes me feel like the NCHC was more of an athletic department thing than Gwozdecky at DU.

Almington
04-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Gentlemen (and I use that term loosely), it's a contract negotiation - neither side jerked the other side around. Gwoz (and his agents) incorrectly concluded that DU wasn't going to terminate him given his performance over the last 10 to 12 years puts him second to only York of BC in terms of accomplishments in spite of his financial demands (and any personality or ego conflicts). The Powers That Be at DU decided that in spite of his teams on-ice accompishments, Gwoz wasn't worth the money he was demanding (and any personality or ego conflicts), only time will tell is they were also incorrect.

I feel for whomever the school gets as their next coach, anytime you follow a legend who goes out near the top of their game you have to match what they did in the next few seasons or ALL the doubters over the decisions will come out of the shadows.

duper
04-02-2013, 01:07 PM
This whole situation makes me feel like the NCHC was more of an athletic department thing than Gwozdecky at DU.I have been on record as saying that I didn't like the way the formation of the NCHC happened, and who knows exactly how it came to pass. Whatever happened, it was clearly reaction to the BTHC. I suspect that people over-reacted, but I certainly understand the instinct that you have to do what's right for you. I think some of you guys rooting for teams staying in the WCHA went off the deep end, but I also understand why you did that. When what someone else thinks is best for them screws me, I'm going to be pretty ****ed.

That said, Gwozdecky has shown repeatedly, both publicly and privately, that he is a good guy, and handles himself with dignity and class. I will absolutely root for him to succeed in any future coaching position he might take (and yes, that would even include CC).

Shirtless Guy
04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Gentlemen (and I use that term loosely), it's a contract negotiation - neither side jerked the other side around. Gwoz (and his agents) incorrectly concluded that DU wasn't going to terminate him given his performance over the last 10 to 12 years puts him second to only York of BC in terms of accomplishments in spite of his financial demands (and any personality or ego conflicts). The Powers That Be at DU decided that in spite of his teams on-ice accompishments, Gwoz wasn't worth the money he was demanding (and any personality or ego conflicts), only time will tell is they were also incorrect.

I feel for whomever the school gets as their next coach, anytime you follow a legend who goes out near the top of their game you have to match what they did in the next few seasons or ALL the doubters over the decisions will come out of the shadows.Agreed, it was more of a game of chicken than anyone jerking the other side around. Gwoz wanted more money than DU wanted to pay and DU finally decided he wasn't worth that...The question is how much was Gwoz asking for because Head Coach $$s have escalated quite a bit of the last few years with the contracts given to coaches like Sandelin, Pearson and Hastings. Michigan Tech went from 2nd or 3rd lowest in base salary to HC to the highest (depending on Gwoz and Owens which is not public knowledge). The game has changed over the last few years so maybe Gwoz thought he could get alot more than Pearson and company and DU feels more comfortable paying their coach $250-300k even if it means cutting Gwoz loose. As you say Almington, only time will tell if they made the right choice in not showing Gwoz the money. The toughest part about this decision is the timing with the NCHC transition. It will be a tough spot for whoever they hire to deal with that transition on top of other normal changes with a new coach.

SCSU BlackandRed
04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Best of luck to DU in their search for a replacement. Hard to believe they cut loose/forced out a guy with so much success.

fangers
04-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Meh. It's an alleged analysis of the situation that completely ignores Gwoz's obvious monetary demands. Not a must read at all. There's plenty of better analysis in this thread.

Written by someone, Chris Peters, with far more credibity and contacts throughout the hockey world than you. This article brings up several valid questions.

Chris
04-02-2013, 01:29 PM
I have two non-Hastings hunches but yours is just as valid as mine.

I, too, would like to hear about these hunches...

uaafanblog
04-02-2013, 01:32 PM
You realize that your opinion is worthless on this issue, right Donald?
Cos opinion's aren't like bungholes?

All of you idiots that have nothing to say about Gwoz other than how big an a-hole he is are obviously blind and stupid when it comes to seeing what he does and what he's about.
Cos perspective works both ways?

Go **** yourself, and have a nice day. :D
Cos putting an emoticon at the end of your anger means you aren't really angry.

uaafanblog
04-02-2013, 01:33 PM
so why don't you share your hunches?

My first hunch was Serratore.

Chris
04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
My first hunch was Serratore.

Tom? Or Frank?

uaafanblog
04-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Written by someone, Chris Peters, with far more credibity and contacts throughout the hockey world than you. This article brings up several valid questions.

It's actually claptrap. There are two "official" reasons stated by DU for letting Gwoz go. That article talks in-depth about the less significant of those two reasons almost exclusively and obfuscates the well-known fact that Gwoz had delayed the extension himself in a bid to increase his leverage. The author is free to have his perspective but that doesn't mean I'm not free to see that his perspective is akin to that of a shill for Gwoz.

Like I said, there's better analysis in this thread.

FadeToBlack&Gold
04-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Like I said, there's better analysis in this thread.

"Better" does not necessarily mean "correct", just more fun.

bigblue_dl
04-02-2013, 02:48 PM
"Better" does not necessarily mean "correct", just more fun.I tend to lean Donald's direction on this. I think the speculation around here is more accurate than what was written in that article.

Biddco
04-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Steve Rohlik?

Wisko McBadgerton
04-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Mark Johnson!!!

Sorry... Not my fault. It is required by the Badger fan bylaws to always bring up MJ in relation to an open coaching position.

cross cheque
04-02-2013, 03:10 PM
I have two non-Hastings hunches but yours is just as valid as mine.

I'm guessing one hunch is his back and the other is the mystery.

Hux
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm 3/4 of the way across the country, but this is a shocker; at least, to me. I just glanced at his year by year record. Very impressive.

Actually Denver is 3/4 of the way across the country from us, while we are ALL the way across the country from them. ;)

MavHockey14
04-02-2013, 03:41 PM
I have a hunch, and it is that they're going after Hastings.

(I have no actual information, like I said, just a hunch)

Why go to a school that wants to decrease your budget and emphasis on hockey?

Edit: not to mention the shoes you have to fill, and if they're cutting pay, will he make much more if he went to DU? Enough to move his family?(which is a primary reason I believe he is here to stay, as I know him and his family well.)

walrus
04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
My hunch is Timmay.