Official 2013 Minnesota State University, Mankato Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official 2013 Minnesota State University, Mankato Offseason Thread

24 wins this year, double the total from last year, and a school record. We'll look to improve on that next year.

Returning Scoring: (School year is current)

Pos Year GP G A Pts. PEN PIM GWG PPG
    Matt Leitner F So 41 17 30 47 18 47 2 6

J.P. Lafontaine F So 41 9 26 35 7 25 1 4

Zach Lehrke F Jr 41 8 17 25 14 50 1 3

Zach Palmquist D So 41 7 18 25 10 20 0 4

Johnny McInnis F Jr 41 13 9 22 6 12 5 3

Dylan Margonari F Fr 38 10 9 19 10 20 2 1

Chase Grant F Jr 41 7 12 19 23 46 4 4

Teddy Blueger F Fr 37 6 13 19 16 40 2 1

Josh Nelson D Jr 34 5 9 14 8 16 0 4

Brett Knowles F Fr 40 5 9 14 11 33 2 0

Bryce Gervais F Fr 41 8 5 13 13 26 2 1

Max Gaede F So 41 1 10 11 4 11 1 0

Jon Jutzi D Fr 41 1 8 9 4 19 0 0

Brett Stern D So 37 2 6 8 10 20 0 0

Taylor Herndon F Fr 12 1 3 4 0 0 0 0

Nick Buchanan D Fr 24 0 1 1 2 4 0 0

Charlie Thauwald F So 1 0 0 0 2 4 0 0

Stephon Williams G Fr 35 0 0 0 2 7 0 0

J.P. Burkemper F Jr 3 0 0 0 1 2 0 0

The Mavericks return 78.7% of their scoring. The biggest loss is losing Eriah Hayes, a 20 goal scorer who had 13 on power play. If the Mavericks ca get somebody to step up and evolve, much like Hayes did this year, good things await this team next year. On paper, this team should likely be better than the squad that set a school record in wins.

This may be the best Mavericks team we've ever had here, on paper of course. This should give us a good opportunity to get into the big dance and have a chance to win the school's first NCAA tournament game. A lot of that hinges on staying healthy, as well.

The nation's #5 PP will need to fill the void left by Eriah Hayes, but he is the only player they lose from their two PP units.

Hopefully the Penalty Kill can improve a little bit, as it was just a bit better than 83% this year.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Re: Official 2013 Minnesota State University, Mankato Offseason Thread

Also, a question to ponder: Will this team have the highest expectations in program history? I'd tend to think so.
    AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      Also, a question to ponder: Will this team have the highest expectations in program history? I'd tend to think so.
      I think expectations should be high, but I have concerns about the D-corp. Palmquist may have to log a lot of minutes next year. Also, I think Williams will be strong again, but if he falters a little, what's the backup plan?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
        I think expectations should be high, but I have concerns about the D-corp. Palmquist may have to log a lot of minutes next year. Also, I think Williams will be strong again, but if he falters a little, what's the backup plan?

Cole Huggins, playing in the BCHL, or Karambelas as the back up goaltender.

I expect Nelson to be good again next year, as well as improvement from Jutzi. Palmquist is solid. Buchananan needs to have a really good offseason, as does Stern. So that leaves you 1 defenseman that needs to step up and play 10-15 minutes a game. Remember that Matt Knoll, who played in 25 games as a freshman, and had to use a medical redshirt this year, and will be in the mix, as well as three freshman.
        AF 99

Comment

Nothing to report, but Hastings name has surfaced some as a candidate for the Denver job.
          AF 99

Comment

Nothing to report, but Hastings name has surfaced some as a candidate for the Denver job.
            My brief thoughts on it...

I think Mike's job is a little underrated right now. Especially if we get the facilities bond from the state. He's got a chance to establish a program among the top of the conference year in and year out, being a contender for the NCAAs frequently.

Mike loves Mankato, and his damily is finally settled here, and they love it as well. I feel like it would take a lot of money to hire him, and with a 225k base already in Mankato, I'm not sure home much DU would be interested in that.
            AF 99

Comment

Eriah Hayes has signed a contract with the San Jose Sharks, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie. The deal is reportedly a two-way, two-year deal, and because Hayes turns 25 in July, it is not an entry-level deal.

Comment

I'm marking this so I don't miss it every time.
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

I know this is a little ahead of things here, but thoughts on captains?

I tend to think Leitner will take after Elbrecht in being a captain as a junior (you could just see his leadership on the ice as the year went on). No idea on the A's, but probably someone like McInnis and Palmquist.

As difficult as it may be to make up for losing Hayes, I still think losing Elbrecht will be even more difficult. Elbrecht took charge on the ice and, while not that offensively talented, provided a calming effect on the team. He didn't get much/any glory, but there is a reason he was a 2 year captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                    ...I still think losing Elbrecht will be even more difficult. Elbrecht took charge on the ice and, while not that offensively talented, provided a calming effect on the team. He didn't get much/any glory, but there is a reason he was a 2 year captain.
                    Yep, a good team needs a solid, stay-at-home defenseman to anchor the blueline, and that was Elbrecht.
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                      I know this is a little ahead of things here, but thoughts on captains?

I tend to think Leitner will take after Elbrecht in being a captain as a junior (you could just see his leadership on the ice as the year went on). No idea on the A's, but probably someone like McInnis and Palmquist.

As difficult as it may be to make up for losing Hayes, I still think losing Elbrecht will be even more difficult. Elbrecht took charge on the ice and, while not that offensively talented, provided a calming effect on the team. He didn't get much/any glory, but there is a reason he was a 2 year captain.
                      Leitner isn't exactly the brightest guy on the team though..

What about Nelson?
                      AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                        Yep, a good team needs a solid, stay-at-home defenseman to anchor the blueline, and that was Elbrecht.
                        What's the word on how much ice time Blake Thompson, the Gopher transfer, might get? He's a big, stay-at-home guy also, although I still like Jutzi for filling the Elbrecht role.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          What's the word on how much ice time Blake Thompson, the Gopher transfer, might get? He's a big, stay-at-home guy also, although I still like Jutzi for filling the Elbrecht role.
                          I totally spaced that out.
                          AF 99

Comment

Leitner isn't exactly the brightest guy on the team though..

What about Nelson?
                            I'm not qualified to comment on anyone's intelligence since I don't know these guys. From my perspective I'm more interested in the leadership qualities of guys for the captainship. Both my wife and I saw Leitner moving guys around and directing them as the year wound down. It was interesting to watch him and the way he guided his teammates.

As for Nelson, I think he would be pretty good as well. Again, I don't know much about him, but I think he could fill in well.

Comment

Does anyone know much about Blake Thompson other than the fact he transferred?

Jutzi is going to be pretty good. It seemed to me that it took him a while to adjust to the speed early in the year as he got beat pretty bad a few times. I think he's got potential to be that staunch defenseman though.
                              Last edited by Bale; 04-08-2013, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X