BREAKING: ESPN paying NCAA to ignore results from the Regionals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING: ESPN paying NCAA to ignore results from the Regionals

Bristol (AFN) - ESPN executives are troubled by the spate of upsets seen this weekend in the NCAA Division I tournament which has led to the first Frozen Four in a generation with no easily-recognizable FBS schools. As a result, ESPN is paying an undisclosed amount of money to the NCAA to throw out these results and have teams that are more well-known and will generate better ratings for the programming behemoth. UMass-Lowell, Yale, St Cloud and Quinnipiac will be allowed to hang banners commemorating their victories, and will play in nearby 84 Lumber Arena at Robert Morris University. It is believed the 1200 person capacity at that arena will better accommodate the "fans" of the respective schools. Those games will be broadcast exclusively on ESPN3. The times of those games are still to be determined. To reduce costs, there will be no play-by-play and only one stationary camera set up at center ice.

Meanwhile, the televised event at Pittsburgh's Consol Energy Center will feature traditional teams such as Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame. They will be joined by surprise entrant, the University of Texas. It is hoped that their inclusion in the made-for-TV spectacular will improve ratings. The first game will feature Ohio State and Notre Dame and will air on ESPN2 at 5PM. The second game between Michigan and Texas will be carried exclusively on ESPN's Longhorn Network (contact your satellite or cable provider to subscribe) at 8PM. Play-by-play will feature Brent Musburger, Barry Melrose and special guest Keith Jackson.

More on this breaking story as it develops.

Re: BREAKING: ESPN paying NCAA to ignore results from the Regionals

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    To reduce costs, there will be no play-by-play
    You mean there WAS play-by-play this weekend???? I wonder if Clay knows how to pronounce "Quin-i-PEE-ack" yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      Bristol (AFN) - ESPN executives are troubled by the spate of upsets seen this weekend in the NCAA Division I tournament which has led to the first Frozen Four in a generation with no easily-recognizable FBS schools. As a result, ESPN is paying an undisclosed amount of money to the NCAA to throw out these results and have teams that are more well-known and will generate better ratings for the programming behemoth. UMass-Lowell, Yale, St Cloud and Quinnipiac will be allowed to hang banners commemorating their victories, and will play in nearby 84 Lumber Arena at Robert Morris University. It is believed the 1200 person capacity at that arena will better accommodate the "fans" of the respective schools. Those games will be broadcast exclusively on ESPN3. The times of those games are still to be determined. To reduce costs, there will be no play-by-play and only one stationary camera set up at center ice.

Meanwhile, the televised event at Pittsburgh's Consol Energy Center will feature traditional teams such as Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame. They will be joined by surprise entrant, the University of Texas. It is hoped that their inclusion in the made-for-TV spectacular will improve ratings. The first game will feature Ohio State and Notre Dame and will air on ESPN2 at 5PM. The second game between Michigan and Texas will be carried exclusively on ESPN's Longhorn Network (contact your satellite or cable provider to subscribe) at 8PM. Play-by-play will feature Brent Musburger, Barry Melrose and special guest Keith Jackson.

More on this breaking story as it develops.
      Happy April 1st to you as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        You mean there WAS play-by-play this weekend???? I wonder if Clay knows how to pronounce "Quin-i-PEE-ack" yet?
        About the only thing I was impressed with on the play-by-play was Barry Melrose not butchering "Gostisbehere".
        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

I remember when people would post clever posts on this sort of a theme on this site....

{sigh}

Comment

Working...
          X