EZAC??? I think not!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EZAC??? I think not!!!

I was trying to find an appropriate thread here that is serious, and there isn't one. I could start another thread, but it would probably degenerate quite fast, but I think this deserves posting. Here are three tweets from RPI coach Seth Appert who will be the ECAC's representative in the NCAA starting either next season or at this year's FF (don't know when the terms start).

6 WCHA teams that qualified for NCAAs played 35 non conference games at home and only 10 on road thats a joke/criteria needs adjusting
    I grew up WCHA fan/coached in league for 9 years-not blaming programs-systematic issue we need to address w weight NC games carry in PWR
    issue has nothing to do w us not getting in-we lost in playoffs that's on me n team but we need to weight road wins in NC w more importance
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-31-2013, 03:31 PM.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Gallant Union Goalie 95 View Post
      Common sense, your kid is getting recruited by big name school say a Michigan and can get a full ride and much easier entry grade wise or a small school like Union and maybe get some financial aid but will cost you. Where is your kid going?? Unless you have lots of cash and I mean lots (Union was $27000-30000 per year from 1991-95!!) your kid is going to the freebie. Plus Union is only an option if your kid has the grades. A 2000 student private college is no picnic to get into. The big schools will ALWAYS have the advantage just as the big market big budget pro teams do.
      None of the players pay for anything. Their "academic" scholarships take care of that.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Interesting, Ralph. I know basketball weights road wins higher in RPI. I think the squeakball weights (1.4 for a road win and .6 for a home win) are way too spread for a sport that has a lot of ties, but some RPI weighting for a road win is probably a good idea. I suspect anything they did would go to all games ,not just NC games, but it would have the effect of making it less valuable to schedule a lot of home game NC games if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
          I was seeing posts that not one team in the ECAC could finish in the top half of the WCHA
          I'd like to see this post. Not that I think you're lying, just that I am pretty sure it was either from a troll, or someone being sarcastic. And yeah, we've got our trolls, just like you do.

All y'all butt-hurt ECAC fans ought to simmer down, and enjoy the good odds you have of winning a national title. (And I truly mean the butt-hurt ones, not all of you) After all, this is a game. If you're more focused on the "insults" from other fans than on the fun of the games, you should probably consider another form of entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I was trying to find an appropriate thread here that is serious, and there isn't one. I could start another thread, but it would probably degenerate quite fast, but I think this deserves posting. Here are three tweets from RPI coach Seth Appert who will be the ECAC's representative in the NCAA starting either next season or at this year's FF (don't know when the terms start).
            I'll buy that. I'd like to see the big name teams go on the road more, and if the PWR make it more attractive to do that, I'm all for it.

Comment

OK, I am a huge ECAC fan. But let's be careful not to overstate this.

Not everybody at a scholarship school gets a full scholarship. Ivy League schools can set their financial aid standards however they want, as long as everyone is treated the same. Union can give academic scholarships or other types of assistance that the Ivies can't. I'm sure there are plenty of kids at places like Michigan, CC, Clarkson, etc. whose college bills look just like those of a lot of players at Princeton and Union. Scholarships matter, but we shouldn't pretend they are the difference between paying $60,000 per year and paying zero. That's not true. The truth is enough without going overboard.

Oh, and why do you assume that it's easy to get good grades at Michigan?

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                None of the players pay for anything. Their "academic" scholarships take care of that.
                Whose academic scholarships are you talking about. Academic scholarships at Union are definitely not going to hockey players as with every other hockey program.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimU View Post
                  OK, I am a huge ECAC fan. But let's be careful not to overstate this.

Not everybody at a scholarship school gets a full scholarship. Ivy League schools can set their financial aid standards however they want, as long as everyone is treated the same. Union can give academic scholarships or other types of assistance that the Ivies can't. I'm sure there are plenty of kids at places like Michigan, CC, Clarkson, etc. whose college bills look just like those of a lot of players at Princeton and Union. Scholarships matter, but we shouldn't pretend they are the difference between paying $60,000 per year and paying zero. That's not true. The truth is enough without going overboard.

Oh, and why do you assume that it's easy to get good grades at Michigan?
                  I said it is easier to get into a school like Michigan than a school like Union as per the grades you need to get in. An A at Union was minimum 92% and an 80 was a B-!! So yeah good grades at Union would be tougher to achieve

Comment

• Originally posted by Gallant Union Goalie 95 View Post
                    Drop your number of students to a mere 2000 and take away ALL of your full rides and let's see ANY wcha team compete at the level Union has the last 3 years!! The ECAC has lots of rivalries but they also have great pride in the teams that can get to the dance and will cheer those teams on, rivals or not. Its called class!!
                    Are you seriously going to tell us that all the hockey players at Union are completely paying their own way through school? None of them are on ANY type of scholarship? I'm betting they find some way other than athletic scholarships to take care of them.
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallant Union Goalie 95 View Post
                      I said it is easier to get into a school like Michigan than a school like Union as per the grades you need to get in. An A at Union was minimum 92% and an 80 was a B-!! So yeah good grades at Union would be tougher to achieve
                      Hey, this thread is about telling you ECAC guys that our hockey guys are still better at Hockey than their hockey guys, not if they're smarter or not. Go play academic bowl if you want to debate the merits of smart hockey players!!
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Gallant Union Goalie 95 View Post
                        Welcome to the usual collegiate grading system. Those are... typical scores for letter grades.

Now whether or not the professors at respective schools grade stricter or more lenient is up for debate, but good luck bringing any sort of facts into that discussion unless you attended, recently.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          Hey, this thread is about telling you ECAC guys that our hockey guys are still better at Hockey than their hockey guys, not if they're smarter or not. Go play academic bowl if you want to debate the merits of smart hockey players!!
                          An intelligent person would have understood my post. Your schools, easier to get in and more scholarships equalling a much larger pool of potential players to select from!! No one is saying WCHA teams are weak just for them to get off their fn high horses and win when it matters. Only one of 6 teams make a regional final? Forget about how many titles you won 10-20 years ago!! Of course some Union players are paying next to nothing but you need a brain to play there!! No college credits for taking some joke classes other schools offer
                          Last edited by Gallant Union Goalie 95; 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                            Thank you for your cluelessness.
                            The schools that offer only need-based scholarships do so based on financial need only. The hockey players are no different than any other students at those schools wrt financial aid.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                              I'd like to see this post. Not that I think you're lying, just that I am pretty sure it was either from a troll, or someone being sarcastic. And yeah, we've got our trolls, just like you do.
                              These boards have a search engine, and many threads. I trust you can find the post. This particular iteration of the "not one team in the ECAC could finish in the top half of the WCHA" was after Yale beat Minnesota, by someone who posts quite a bit here. Called that one an "anomaly," even though it was Yale's 3rd win against a WCHA team this year. Make that 4, now. The complete lack of basic respect from WCHA homers has been evident on these boards for many, many years. You have it reversed in terms of "butt-hurt." We're enjoying the moment. It's hilarious to see the WCHA-folks actually hang their hats on SCSU.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                                Thank you for your cluelessness.
                                The schools that offer only need-based scholarships do so based on financial need only. The hockey players are no different than any other students at those schools wrt financial aid.
                                Only true for Ivies, which have their own rules. And which also happen to have financial endowments big enough that they can set their financial aid requirements pretty much however they want to. (It is absolutely true that athletes are treated exactly like everyone else with regard to financial aid, and that all aid is need-based. But they get to determine the need. I believe Harvard toyed with the idea of abolishing tuition altogether a few years ago.)

Schools like Union can give all the academic scholarships they want to. And there's nothing wrong with it.

http://www.union.edu/admissions/union/index.php

Read the paragraph on costs and financial aid.

Comment

Working...
                                X