Game 1 A1 vs A4
    Game 2 B1 vs B4

Saturday:
    Game 3 A2 vs A3
    Game 4 B2 vs B3

Sunday:
    Winner Game 1 vs Winner Game 3
    Winner Game 2 vs Winner Game 4

Theoretically, the #1 seeds would have Saturday off while the #2 and #3 teams play on Saturday.
    You have a worse issue IMO, and is something that had happened in the 80's during the FF but no longer: the extra one day of rest handicap. Sure, there are some teams who overcame it, but it provides too much of an advantage to those who play on Friday.

Comment

• Re: Attendance at Regionals

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      It was not called the Clarkson Rule for nothing!!! Too bad we never took advantage of it.

I still think Week 1 on campus (either best of 3 or one and done) protects the top seeds, which is what the season was for, right?

Then go to a one & done super regional and a week later the Frozen Four.
      If you want to make the season meaningful, let's repeal the Union rule.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
        It won't be long before we see an outdoor regional. Bank on it.
        Yeah, that's a horrible idea. The ice conditions would be brutal and Ford Field should have been enough of a gong show to change anyone’s mind against that horrible idea. Hockey’s NCAA tourney needs to be played in the arena where it’s meant to be played.
        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
        Eric's Twitter
        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          You have a worse issue IMO, and is something that had happened in the 80's during the FF but no longer: the extra one day of rest handicap. Sure, there are some teams who overcame it, but it provides too much of an advantage to those who play on Friday.
          Is that worse than playing these games on the campus of the #1 seed.

It is all irrelevant anyway, because the NCAA doesn't seem anxious to change the format does it?

Comment

In addition, you still have a dead day for the teams that play on Friday. Of course college hockey fans and interested locals get three days of games, and would go. But I think that, somewhat unlike fans who go to the FF every year, fans who go to the regionals are fans of teams and would look on Saturday as a dead day because their team isn't playing.

No ideal solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
              In addition, you still have a dead day for the teams that play on Friday. Of course college hockey fans and interested locals get three days of games, and would go. But I think that, somewhat unlike fans who go to the FF every year, fans who go to the regionals are fans of teams and would look on Saturday as a dead day because their team isn't playing.

No ideal solutions.
              How about this: Doubleheader on Friday (W1vW4, W2vW3), Tripleheader on Saturday (E1vE4, E2vE3, Winners[W]), single game on Sunday (Winners[E]).

Comment

How about this: Doubleheader on Friday (W1vW4, W2vW3), Tripleheader on Saturday (E1vE4, E2vE3, Winners[W]), single game on Sunday (Winners[E]).
                Yes, thought of that. You'd probably need to clear the rink after the first two games Saturday. Starting times of 12:00, 4:00, and 8:00 seems reasonable to me. But what do you want to bet that the first year they tried it, there'd be a BU-St. Lawrence 2000 game.

Comment

Same problem on Sunday. One game!

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                    Same problem on Sunday. One game!
                    That's not a bad thing. If you have a Sunday matinee game, people will (generally) have enough time to be able to get home so they can go to work on Monday and not need to worry about taking an extra day off, if any at all.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                      Yes, thought of that. You'd probably need to clear the rink after the first two games Saturday. Starting times of 12:00, 4:00, and 8:00 seems reasonable to me. But what do you want to bet that the first year they tried it, there'd be a BU-St. Lawrence 2000 game.
                      There's always going to be that chance no matter where you hold the tournament or how many games are played in a day. Clearing the rink isn't always so bad; they did it during the WJC when they had it in Buffalo. Of course, they also had a beer tent nearby to hang out (and get out of the cold) between games. Hopefully that's not against NCAA regulation.

Comment

My solution would be:
                        A. keep rounds 1 and 2 on neutral ice but in smaller venues. Nothing over 10,000 seats, and preferably something around 5000 to 8000. You might have to take a chance that a team gets to play in its home venue sometimes. I'd rather not, but I could live with it. This is an easier issue to deal with in the East. If Conte, for example was a site in boston, BC might grumble but they'd still draw well if sent to Manchester or someplace.
                        B. keep the early rounds in hockey friendly cities. Roughly the I-95 corridor from Portland Maine to Bridgeport in the East. I can't say I know exactly where the Western sites can be but I would say forget about your St Louises and Toledos.
                        C. I know everyone disagrees but I'd keep teams as close to home as possible even at the expense of seeding. Or you could even take a page from basketball where the 1st round games are played near home even if a team is technically in the opposite region if the numbers work out that way.
                        D. I'd skip the seeding beyond making 4 teams #1s, 4 #2's and so forth. That gives more flexibility in deciding where to send teams.
                        E. There are a few teams that can go either way. Niagara is an example. Those teams give you some flexibility when they qualify. Probably a push sending them to Providence or say Ann Arbor just as an example.

Comment

There's always going to be that chance no matter where you hold the tournament or how many games are played in a day. Clearing the rink isn't always so bad; they did it during the WJC when they had it in Buffalo. Of course, they also had a beer tent nearby to hang out (and get out of the cold) between games. Hopefully that's not against NCAA regulation.
                          I went to the Regionals in Providence this year. Two games on Saturday. Great games but........

1. It was about 7 hours in the Dunkin' Donuts Center. NO RE-ENTRY! and there are bars everywhere all over in the arena neighborhood.
                          2. No beer, no alcohol at all in the arena.
                          3 One and a half hours between games.

I LOVE college hockey. I LOVE the playoffs. I will not go back again under those conditions. Who do you call or write to to get the message across?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                            I went to the Regionals in Providence this year. Two games on Saturday. Great games but........

1. It was about 7 hours in the Dunkin' Donuts Center. NO RE-ENTRY! and there are bars everywhere all over in the arena neighborhood.
                            2. No beer, no alcohol at all in the arena.
                            3 One and a half hours between games.

I LOVE college hockey. I LOVE the playoffs. I will not go back again under those conditions. Who do you call or write to to get the message across?

You could not of said it better. No beer sales, while there is beer in the luxury boxes and beer ads on TV makes no sense. No re-entry also stupid. Also $75 for tickets when most of college hockey arenas do not charge more than $15-20 per game.

The NCAA Committee has to do it job by fixing this for the fans.

Comment

still think the committee should take a look at the Men's Lacrosse format:

1st Round - High seeds hosts (16 @ 1, 15 @ 2, 14 @ 3, etc. etc)......8 games on campus, 8 teams do not travel
                              2nd Round - Two Neutral sites Hosts four teams each; two winners from each site advance to FF....gives all the neutral site fans something to be happy about
                              3rd Round - Final/Frozen Four

Something has to change before the NCAA decides to change the number of teams in the tournament.

Amazing that most all sports (MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA & more) earn playoff home ice/court/field via their regular season record, but in ice hockey we play 34 games that meannothing in NCAA post-season sites.

Comment

• Originally posted by FredDavenport View Post
                                You could not of said it better. No beer sales, while there is beer in the luxury boxes and beer ads on TV makes no sense. No re-entry also stupid. Also $75 for tickets when most of college hockey arenas do not charge more than $15-20 per game.

The NCAA Committee has to do it job by fixing this for the fans.
                                Just curious, do they sell beer at BCS football bowl games? I believe they are not NCAA sponsored events.
                                Last edited by scoreboard; 05-28-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X