Time to expand NCAA bracket???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to expand NCAA bracket???

I, for one, don't want to punish teams like Niagara & Canisus their automatic seeding in the sixteen teams in the D1 bracket. However, I also don't think it is right to deny hard charging programs like Michigan and other top clubs like Western Michigan and BU (andpossibly a few others) their chance to pursue a natio al title. All of them could legitimately conend.

In basketball, with 68 teams, the NCAA can afford to have some "super dark horses" in the field. Just like the number of scholarships hockey is given, the low number (16) adversely impacts
    hockey.

One of my sons suggests play in games, maybe two or more, flexible to expand the field before the final 16. Thoughts/coments.

Re: Time to expand NCAA bracket???

Per NCAA rules, the tourney is already in exemption status (IIRC it's 25% of teams that exist can make the playoffs). When it expanded to 16 teams, college hockey was under that rule. As teams folded, the NCAA didn't change the playoffs. If college hockey kept to the rule, the tourney would now probably be 12 again. There will be NO expansion at all. Period.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

To answer your original question even without the factual evidence: no.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Per NCAA rules, the tourney is already in exemption status (IIRC it's 25% of teams that exist can make the playoffs). When it expanded to 16 teams, college hockey was under that rule. As teams folded, the NCAA didn't change the playoffs. If college hockey kept to the rule, the tourney would now probably be 12 again. There will be NO expansion at all. Period.
        I don't think that there were ever as many as 64 teams. There were more than the current number, but not quite 64. I agree with everything else that you wrote.

As to the "super dark horses" in squeakball, aren't those usually the autoqualifiers like Canisius would be in hockey?
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-29-2013, 03:57 AM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          I don't think that there were ever as many as 64 teams. There were more than the current number, but not quite 64. I agree with everything else that you wrote.

As to the "super dark horses" in squeakball, aren't those usually the autoqualifiers like Canisius would be in hockey?
          Exactly. All Michigan needed to do was win their conference tourney like Wisconsin and Canisius did, and they could have in, too.

Comment

no, shrink it to 12 and go back to the old format

Comment

nope
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Exactly. All Michigan needed to do was win their conference tourney like Wisconsin and Canisius did, and they could have in, too.
                The conference tournaments are play-in games. The only teams with possible complaints are teams that didn't make their conference playoffs, even though they won their last game. (Assuming a one-game streak is enough to fulfill FRICKER's "hard-charging" criterion.) Thus, except for the Ivy League, every basketball team is already in the tournament. Similarly, Harvard was in the NCAA Hockey tournament -- they just lost their play-in game.

Comment

This is what the Tourney would have looked like under the old format...

1. Quinnipiac
                  2. Minnesota
                  3. Massachusetts Lowell (1st Round Bye - Clarkson Rule)
                  4. Notre Dame
                  5. Miami
                  6. Boston College
                  7. New Hampshire
                  8. North Dakota
                  9. St. Cloud State (CC Rule)
                  10. Union
                  11. Wisconsin
                  12. Canisius

Then a tournament that would have looked something like this...

East Regional 1
                  #4 - New Hampshire vs. #5 - St. Cloud State
                  #1 - Quinnipiac (Bye)

West Regional 1
                  #4 - North Dakota vs. #5 - Union
                  #1 - Minnesota (Bye)

East Regional 2
                  #3 - Boston College vs. #6 Canisius
                  #2 - Massachusetts Lowell (Bye)

West Regional 2
                  #3 - Miami vs. #6 Wisconsin
                  #2 - Notre Dame (Bye)

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                    I don't think it is right to deny hard charging programs like Michigan and other top clubs like Western Michigan and BU
                    Well I'll say this, if you want to make a case to expand the tourney, you'll need some better examples. Western is the best example in this group that maaaaaybe deserves a shot and they are a real stretch. Of their 19 wins, they racked up 15 of them in a conference that only had four teams over .500. And Michigan?... please. Just because you've been in the tourney every year for two decades doesn't mean they deserve to get in with a sub 0.500 record. BU wouldn't have been in even if you removed the auto qualifiers so again not much of a case there.

In short, I don't see it happen. The NCAA already spends way too much time bending the bracket rules in the name of putting butts in the seats. Adding more entry games that will have even less interest isn't going to get off the ground any time soon.

Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      I don't think that there were ever as many as 64 teams. There were more than the current number, but not quite 64.
                      By my calculations, the greatest number of teams playing D-I hockey was 60, from 1999-2003:

CCHA 12
                      MAAC 11 (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conf.)
                      ECAC 12
                      WCHA 10
                      HEA 9
                      CHA 6 (College Hockey America)

Today we have 59.
                      Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

hard charging and struggling to get to a .500 record Michigan? they didn't deserve to get in a 57 team tournament this season.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

no

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                            no, shrink it to 12 and go back to the old format
                            And if we're talking about attendance, quite frankly I believe it was probably better under the "old" format. You would have two games each day and two teams would advance to the Frozen Four. In essence, a "super" regional with six Eastern teams and six Western teams. Six teams bring more fans than four, and if you look at recent attendance, it's hard to make a case for having FOUR regionals, because typically two of them have "poor" attendance anyway. Combine them, save expenses and have a more exciting weekend.

Comment

Mile high hockey,
                              You forgot to list 6 from east/west and then
                              swap 5&6 to the opposite region

Comment

Working...
                              X