Bottom Feeders Bracket: Let the Tournament Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom Feeders Bracket: Let the Tournament Begin

The BFB/Futile4 Committee is pleased to announce that the brackets for this year's event have been completed, and the sites have been selected. These decisions were actually made several days ago, but the information was withheld till the last minute in order to make travel difficult.

The participants, as ranked by FARTS (Freddie's Arbitrary Ranking of Teams that Suck) are as follows:

1. Alabama-Huntsville
    2. Sacred Heart (AHA Auto bid)
    3. Army
    4. Bentley
    5. Alaska-Anchorage (WCHA Auto bid)
    6. American International
    7. Bemidji State
    8. Northeastern (HEA Auto bid)
    9. RIT
    10. Clarkson
    11. Harvard (ECAC Auto bid)
    12. Penn State
    13. Princeton
    14. Michigan State (CCHA Auto bid)
    15. Maine
    16. Vermont

The regional sites are:
    EAST: Regency Ice Rink, Lancaster PA
    NORTHEAST: Penobscot Ice Arena, Brewer ME
    MIDWEST: Fryberger Arena, Duluth MN
    WEST: Barrow Hockey & Curling Rink, Barrow AK

The Futile Four will be at Uline Arena in Washington DC

Let's take a look at how the brackets were drawn.

First identify the four regional #1 seeds. UAH, SH, Army and Bentley. Since this band is dominated by eastern schools, the committee felt it was necessary to break with tradition and NOT send the overall #1 seed to the furthest regional (Alaska), but to Maine instead.

#1 UAH goes to Brewer Maine
    #2 Sacred Heart goes to Barrow Alaska
    #3 Army goes to Duluth Minnesota
    #4 Bentley goes to Lancaster Pennsylvania

Hoping to maintain the integrity of the bracket, we want place the #2 seeds as follows:

#5 Alaska-Anchorage goes to Bentley's bracket in Lancaster
    #6 American International goes to Army's bracket in Duluth
    #7 Bemidji goes to Sacred Heart's bracket in Barrow
    #8 Northeastern goes to Huntsville's bracket in Brewer

Continuing the process we place the #3 seeds:

#9 RIT would be matched up against #8 Northeastern in the Brewer bracket
    #10 Clarkson gets #7 Bemidji at Barrow
    #11 Harvard gets #6 AIC in Duluth
    #12 Penn State gets #5 UAA in Lancaster

Once more with the #4 seeds:

#13 Princeton goes to Lancaster, where they will play #4 Bentley
    #14 Michigan State goes to Duluth, where they will play #3 Army
    #15 Maine goes to Barrow, where they will play #2 Sacred Heart
    #16 Vermont goes to Brewer, where they will play #1 Huntsville

Incredible as it may seem, but even with so many Atlantic Hockey teams in the field, we have managed to avoid any first-round matchups between conference mates. And since no school wants to host this event, we don't have to worry about that. But the committee does have some attendance concerns.

We are really concerned about the Penobscot bracket. With 3 eastern teams there (Northeastern, RIT and Vermont) somebody might actually show up. Let's swap Northeastern with Bemidji. Since all the other #3 seeds are eastern schools, there's nothing we can do but leave RIT in Maine. We'd like to move Vermont out of this bracket, but don't feel it would be fair to Huntsville...after all, they earned that overall #1 seed.

Now let's look at the Lancaster bracket.
    Bentley's closer to home that we would like, but switching them with Army or Sacred Heart won't be any better, so we leave them alone. Penn State is entirely too close to home, we'll send them to Duluth and bring Harvard back east (their fan base is too high-brow to consider visiting Amish country anyway). Princeton's also too close to Lancaster, so we'll send them to Duluth also, and bring Michigan State to Lancaster.

After the swaps we've already done, the Duluth and Barrow brackets look perfect. So here are the brackets:

Brewer Maine
    1. Alabama-Huntsville
    2. Bemidji State
    3. RIT
    4. Vermont

Lancaster Pennsylvania
    1. Bentley
    2. Alaska-Anchorage
    3. Harvard
    4. Michigan State

Duluth Minnesota
    1. Army
    2. American International
    3. Penn State
    4. Princeton

Barrow Alaska
    1. Sacred Heart
    2. Northeastern
    3. Clarkson
    4. Maine

Game times will be announced later today, or perhaps tomorrow.
    Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Re: Bottom Feeders Bracket: Let the Tournament Begin

No Pocatello, Idaho region?
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      No Pocatello, Idaho region?
      Pocatello was in the running for the west regional, but lost out to Barrow Alaska. How can anybody argue with this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magneticnorth/2746522518/
      Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Tough field this year... just four wins on the year yet UAA can't even get a one seed
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
          Pocatello was in the running for the west regional, but lost out to Barrow Alaska. How can anybody argue with this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magneticnorth/2746522518/
          *****http://m3.i.pbase.com/g6/99/358499/2/80361413.Ivews6cR.jpg******
          ---
          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Darn - I was hoping to get in some shopping at the Lancaster Outlet Malls!

Now I'm going to have to dig out my down parka. Oh wait, I haven't put it away yet.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

They don't play hockey there.

This rink 50 miles north would be more appropriate- keep it on the possibles list for future seasons:

*****http://www.cchockeyhistory.org/players/LehtoWayneIceRinkIdahoFallsID_s.jpg******

the great thing about this site- it's formerly naturally cooled (up unitl '85), it's totally unheated- which maximises the spectator uncomfort, and brings up the possibility of serious pain to the players if the ambient is cold enough (BTDT, my lungs still show signs). And most important- the name "Joe Marmo and Wayne Lehto Ice Hockey Arena"- Wayne is a Michigan Tech Alumni, while Joe is not only an alumn of Michigan, he was also on 2 national champions in the 50's.

So what we have here is a seriously small facility, almost the middle of nowhere (there are more flights to Idaho Falls than Pocatello, so that's not great) and has a lot of ties to college hockey. Perfect for future futile fours.

(and yes, I did play there as a kid, Wayne and Joe Marmo (UM grad) were friends and both were coaches of mine as I grew up)
              Last edited by alfablue; 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

This rink 50 miles north would be more appropriate- keep it on the possibles list for future seasons:

*****http://www.cchockeyhistory.org/players/LehtoWayneIceRinkIdahoFallsID_s.jpg******

the great thing about this site- it's formerly naturally cooled (up unitl '85), it's totally unheated- which maximises the spectator uncomfort, and brings up the possibility of serious pain to the players if the ambient is cold enough (BTDT, my lungs still show signs). And most important- the name "Joe Marmo and Wayne Lehto Ice Hockey Arena"- Wayne is a Michigan Tech Alumni, while Joe is not only an alumn of Michigan, he was also on 2 national champions in the 50's.

So what we have here is a seriously small facility, almost the middle of nowhere (there are more flights to Idaho Falls than Pocatello, so that's not great) and has a lot of ties to college hockey. Perfect for future futile fours.

(and yes, I did play there as a kid, Wayne and Joe Marmo (UM grad) were friends and both were coaches of mine as I grew up)
                Talk about a shot in the dark. I just thought of Idaho State hosting.
                ---
                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  An extra selling point for the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                    The BFB/Futile4 Committee is pleased to announce that the brackets for this year's event have been completed, and the sites have been selected. These decisions were actually made several days ago, but the information was withheld till the last minute in order to make travel difficult.

The participants, as ranked by FARTS (Freddie's Arbitrary Ranking of Teams that Suck) are as follows:

1. Alabama-Huntsville
                    2. Sacred Heart (AHA Auto bid)
                    3. Army
                    4. Bentley
                    5. Alaska-Anchorage (WCHA Auto bid)
                    6. American International
                    7. Bemidji State
                    8. Northeastern (HEA Auto bid)
                    9. RIT
                    10. Clarkson
                    11. Harvard (ECAC Auto bid)
                    12. Penn State
                    13. Princeton
                    14. Michigan State (CCHA Auto bid)
                    15. Maine
                    16. Vermont
                    UMass was robbed.

Comment

Talk about a shot in the dark. I just thought of Idaho State hosting.
                      Since campus sites are not used anymore, then they can be the host up in Idaho Falls.

A couple of years ago, the futile four game was scheduled to be in Moscow ID, since think rink is about 80% full size. My brother helped build that rink, which was 5-7 years after we both graduated from Idaho. Posters do get around.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        UMass was robbed.
                        Seriously. How did Maine and Vermont make it over UMass? The Minutemen would've been much more likely to lose a game or two. UAH and Sacred Heart have cakewalk losses.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                          Seriously. How did Maine and Vermont make it over UMass? The Minutemen would've been much more likely to lose a game or two. UAH and Sacred Heart have cakewalk losses.
                          Watch Maine break everyone's bracket...

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                            It's northern New England bias. Similar to Eastern bias, but more targeted. In this example, UMass plays the role of UND.

Comment

Originally posted by ZamboniDude View Post
                              It's northern New England bias. Similar to Eastern bias, but more targeted. In this example, UMass plays the role of UND.
                              When did they lose to Ylae*?

Comment

Working...
                              X