Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Change the tournament format, the 2013 debate

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
    Michigan's tournament appearance streak may be over, but this post marks my third consecutive season complaining about the NCAA hockey regionals.
    Well what seems to be the common thread then?

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
    Wouldn't you rather watch Minnesota-Yale in front of a raucous Mariucci Arena...
    IALTO
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Odds are that any change to the tournament would involve stepping back to 12 teams. I'm not sure that is a trade off that I'm willing to make.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
        32 team tournament. Regional First, Semis and Finals hosted by 1 seed.

Frozen Four in real areas and not freaking Tampa.
        You may be the only one who didn't like Tampa.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Right, but if the first two rounds took two weeks, there wouldn't be that extra week off.
          No...I don't mean they don't want the Frozen Four to go up against the Final Four...they don't want ANY hockey going up against the Final Four. They WANT the week off - that's the whole point. In other words, "Go away, hockey." NOTHING will compete with the Final Four, the BIGGEST event in college sports - period.

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
            Tampa was awesome. Better than DC, better than Denver. They need to put Tampa in heavy rotation for the Frozen Four. As much as I love visiting Boston, please never again, or at least for another dozen or twenty years.
            What didn't you like about Boston? And that's not meant in a cynical or malicious way - I'm just curious (having spend most of my life here).

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              What didn't you like about Boston? And that's not meant in a cynical or malicious way - I'm just curious (having spend most of my life here).
              He was probably told he had to pay another nickel in order to get off the MTA.

Comment

Biggest event until the full scale football playoff takes hold

Comment

As I recall, I remember reading last year or the year before where even coaches are not happy with the way these regionals are going. Problem is, I have no idea if they have any say whatsoever in how these things are done. Which is a shame, because they obviously should.

Comment

2 sites. 8 teams each site. 3 days. At least the third day at each site will seem like a big event with 2 games to get to the Frozen 4. Do a Fri, Sat, Sun afternoon in the East and a Fri, Sat, Sunday evening in the West.

Comment

I actually like the idea of regionals being really regional. So in the early rounds you're trying to find the best in the east to play the best in the west in the Finals. I guess I would err on the side of having local teams play locally and bring fans than trying to balalnce the brackets. To me that's something of a fools errand any way. I also don't love the 2 week break between the regionals and the Frozen Four. Play the semi-finals Friday and the Championship Sunday to make it a real Championship Weekend...Hockey Friday Basketball Saturday, Hockey Sunday, Basketball Monday. As far as location for regionals, I think you need to avoid obvious places without a tradition of college hockey, I'm lookin' at you St Louis. But if you keep teams near "home" even at the expense of mucking up rankings, and I doubt they would be that bad quite honestly, I think you'd get better attendance and better atmosphere. And it would make it a more intense final if that's even possible to have East vs West. Of course you always will have the occasional borderline situation...is Niagara really east or west, better in Toledo or Manchester? But that's something you can deal with when it comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        Then why would you call them "regionals?" I'm not sure that it's like basketball, where there seems to be unlimited money so a team can travel 3000 miles and still draw a crowd. If you put 2 midwest teams in Providence WITHOUT an eastern team that can DRAW (not Canisius, for example), you'll still have a half-empty arena. Unfortunately, we're not at the point yet (and probably never will be) where we can ignore regional "considerations."
                        Did you see that many crowds? The only time you saw crowds for Bball is if the games were nearby. ie Dayton for OSU, Auburn Hills MI for UM and MSU

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Although you'd have to fit six games into a site instead of three, you could probably do it with having 1/8/9/16 and 2/7/10/15 playing on Friday and Sunday-early, while 3/6/11/14 and 4/5/12/13 play on Saturday and Sunday-late, but do NOT give a team a day advantage over another. The biggest issue with the ticket prices, though, is that the NCAA has to get the money in order to send these teams to the regional sites, any guarantees to arenas or teams, not to mention any deals that places may have with concessions (where an arena REALLY makes money).
                          I have been on the bandwagon of super-regionals since the end of year 1 with 16 teams. I liked the old 12 team 2 games each day with more fans from other schools. When they first started with Providence and Worchester I would drive between them to catch more games - even did Albany and Worchester but that is a bit of a drive and the schedule can be problematic.

It is simple to pull off Day 1 Friday evening games (4 and 8) - first round for a bracket. Day 2 Saturday afternoon games (2 and 6) - first round for the other bracket. Day 3 Sunday afternoon games (12 and 4) - super regional finals early game is day 1 winners late game is day 2 winners.

For scheduling Day 3 is defined so everybody in a game has similar rest, you and your opponent either both got a day of or both played yesterday. The games are in the afternoon to avoid Sunday night games and give people a chance to get out Sunday night; I would go earlier in the day still if I could. Day 2 is defined so that the higher seed gets the early game, being the "#1" gets you ~3 hours more rest. Day 1 is undefined and is picked by the committee, so they could chose to put a large traveling fan base (Wisco, Michigan, Cornell) as the late game regardless of seed to help fans with the potential to travel day of game, example Cornell going to Manchester or Providence could drive day of game for the late slot. But Day 1 schedule is left to committee discretion to maximize attendance as the teams all get the next day off anyway.

Ticket sales - lower the cost it is just too high and the concessions is where the money is anyway, also lower the concession cost you would sell more if it wasn’t highway robbery. Also ticket packages at a super-regional need to be carefully thought out. It is bad when entire sections are empty. It kills me that UNH has a Friday night fan get together during the first game; the NCAA should find ways to limit those behaviors – even if just asking participating schools to refrain. With 8 teams the chance of big empty sections goes up without some sort of well-conceived ticketing. If you by the full package it is $10 a game but if you buy only your teams it is $20. A delta big enough to convince people to buy the package they are going to use but not so big where it make sense to buy all games and only attend 2. Those go on sale Sunday to Tuesday and then those blocks also open up to general public, that way lower bowl prime seats open up if a fan group isn’t going to show. Also some sort of method to convince people to watch other schools - prizes? even if just a Tee shirt or something a signed puck.
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Let everyone in.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtn2GoldCountry View Post
                              Let everyone in.
                              They pretty much do, they just don't call the first round the NCAA Tournament. They call it conference tournaments...and i think everyone but 2 Hockey East teams get in, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                                They pretty much do, they just don't call the first round the NCAA Tournament. They call it conference tournaments...and i think everyone but 2 Hockey East teams get in, no?
                                The Northeastern Rule starts next year. Everyone's getting in.

Comment

Working...
                                X