>>> RIT Tigers - 2013 Offseason: The Future Looks Bright <<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>> RIT Tigers - 2013 Offseason: The Future Looks Bright <<<

So, can we put to bed the theory that OOC games don't matter?

Every single OOC win helps the conference's strength of schedule. That's good for Atlantic Hockey, and by extension, good for RIT.

Topics for the offseason: The class of 2017; the Gene Polisseni Center; the 2013-14 schedule.

Powers &8^]

Re: >>> RIT Tigers - 2013 Offseason: The Future Looks Bright <<<

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    So, can we put to bed the theory that OOC games don't matter?

Every single OOC win helps the conference's strength of schedule. That's good for Atlantic Hockey, and by extension, good for RIT.

Topics for the offseason: The class of 2017; the Gene Polisseni Center; the 2013-14 schedule.

Powers &8^]
    Gene Polisseni Center... Any updates on what it will look like?

Also What are the odds we sellout Frontier Field?
    R I T HOCKEY
    Frozen Four
    Elite Eight
    NCAA Tournament
    2010-2015-2016
    RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
      The eternal naysayers and pessimists that dominate this discussion will tell you there's no chance. I tend to think there is an above average chance of it, and even if we don't, we will put enough fans in seats to be completely worth it.

We're not the Amerks, nor should we be. The Amerks are going to sell it out because it's a special event and it's a professional team, and they have more community exposure. I don't think RIT pulling in 5000 or 7000 should be considered a failure, if that ends up being what we draw.
      RIT

Comment

Really, last Amerks game I went to was emptier than an RIT homegame.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          I don't think RIT pulling in 5000 or 7000 should be considered a failure, if that ends up being what we draw.
          I think around 5000 is realistic, but hopefully way on the low side. I assume all seats would be GA because season ticket holders would have tickets in their package as a regular season game. People would tend to space themselves out comfortably so the stadium would not look empty. Of course, the uniqueness of the game itself may draw many Niagara fans also and Rochester sports fans who do not normally go to hockey games... and the tickets prices would (hopefully) be cheap compared with the Amerks game.
          RIT TIGERS
          Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
          Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions/NCAA Tournament 2010, 2015, 2016
          Frozen Four 2010
          The Gene Polisseni Center @ RIT

Comment

Has anyone seen the Niagara and Canisus "we're psyched for the NCAA's" threads here...... Didn't think so.......
            John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
            AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
            NCAA DII - 1983
            NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Do they ever have threads? The only other fans I see posting on here are Bently.

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
              Has anyone seen the Niagara and Canisus "we're psyched for the NCAA's" threads here...... Didn't think so.......
              RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                Gene Polisseni Center... Any updates on what it will look like?

Haven't heard nor seen anything new on the arena (other than lots of pilings).

At the risk of being categorized with the "eternal pessimists" (perhaps the word "eternal" needs to be looked up?) I will say the probability of a sellout is extremely close to zero (maybe 0.01). But as they say ... "there's a chance".

The big variables to me are weather and RIT. Weather is a crap shoot, but RIT could go a long way toward making it a sellout, or close to it, with some creative marketing, busses for students, etc. That's possible, but I will be the naysayer on this one and say RIT isn't so great at that (the marketing part). And I will repeat again one more time (was that enough?) that the semester schedule is against this game with classes ending a few days earlier.

Of course, maybe it doesn't need to be a sellout. Maybe tickets will just be given away. That might do it.

To show some optimism, if it was the Sabres playing, I think it would sell out!

And, just before I see it again and get grumpy ... "casual fan" is an oxymoron.
                -M

Comment

Look at this packed BCA with thousands of screaming Canisius fans after they won the title about an hour away from home:

Source: http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...5009999&Ref=PH

*****http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=BN&Date=20130325&Category=PHOTOGALLERIES&ArtNo=325009999&Ref=PH&Item=1&Maxw=602******
                  The Rochester Institute of Technology
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RITAbe View Post
                    Look at this packed BCA with thousands of screaming Canisius fans after they won the title about an hour away from home:

Source: http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...5009999&Ref=PH

*****http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=BN&Date=20130325&Category=PHOTOGALLERIES&ArtNo=325009999&Ref=PH&Item=1&Maxw=602******
                    I never thought I would do this....but I need to stick up for Canisius a bit here. Sure, attendance sucked at Blue Cross, but lets look at attendance as a % of undergrad enrollement. (I know this isn't a good measure of attendance, but it's more to prove a point here).

RIT has an undergrad enrollment of 15085 (per wikipedia). In 2010, when RIT beat Sacred Heart for the AHA Championship, attendance was 3298, or 21.9% of our undergrad # (source: http://ritathletics.com/custompages/...-10/032010.htm)

Attendance on Saturday was 887 (source: http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...vs-mercyhurst/) That is 26% of Canisius's undergrad number of 3385 (again, per wikipedia).

Not all students are going to love hockey. Canisius is primarily a basketball school. Blue Cross is in RIT's backyard, and as you said, it is an hour away from Canisius, which isn't far for real fans, but I would argue that the everyday student wouldn't travel that.

Attendance is more than just Canisius's problem. I think the AHA really needs to market the championship weekend better to the Rochester area to improve attendance. I don't think Canisius (or Mercyhurst for that matter, with 4400 students, can be blamed for poor attendance.
                    Last edited by mar7967; 03-25-2013, 04:35 PM.
                    Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                    College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                    Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                    Men's Frozen Four 2010
                    Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                    Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                      I think the aha really needs to market the championship weekend better to the rochester area to improve attendance.
                      Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by RITFan67 View Post
                        I think around 5000 is realistic, but hopefully way on the low side. I assume all seats would be GA because season ticket holders would have tickets in their package as a regular season game. People would tend to space themselves out comfortably so the stadium would not look empty. Of course, the uniqueness of the game itself may draw many Niagara fans also and Rochester sports fans who do not normally go to hockey games... and the tickets prices would (hopefully) be cheap compared with the Amerks game.
                        Heck, depending on if my team's playing, I'd consider driving out for an event like this. I've never been to an outdoor game.

Comment

AHA should take a page from the PGA Championship where an adult ticket entitles the ticket holder to bring a 16 year old to the event for free. AHA should market real hard to the many youth leagues in Western NY with discounted tickets. RIT should have the premier venue in the AHA with the new arena. AHA should condider moving the championship to this smaller venue. (Lotta shoulds in this post!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ritterrat View Post
                            RIT should have the premier venue in the AHA with the new arena. AHA should condider moving the championship to this smaller venue. (Lotta shoulds in this post!)
                            This part won't happen - the conference tournament is supposed to be at a "neutral" site. Neutral is in quotes there because BCA is hardly neutral when RIT is playing.
                            Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                            College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                            Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                            Men's Frozen Four 2010
                            Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                            Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                              This part won't happen - the conference tournament is supposed to be at a "neutral" site. Neutral is in quotes there because BCA is hardly neutral when RIT is playing.
                              Which I think is a big mistake for this league. You're never going to get a vast number of fans traveling for their schools (outside of RIT). I think each round should be hosted by the higher seed, much like the first round and quarter finals. The AHA just needs to put in place rules requiring a certain percentage of tickets needs to be available for the away team. This is the only way to maximize attendance for the tournament.
                              RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                              X