>>> RIT Tigers - 2013 Offseason: The Future Looks Bright <<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers - 2013 Offseason: The Future Looks Bright <<<

Resorting to name calling? You clearly said it's peoples faults for having families and prior obligations and that RIT should not cater to them. Sorry for calling you out.

Originally posted by MattS View Post
    Are you just that dumb to figure out the point of my post?

Just to clear this up for you since you cannot seem to grasp it....I am not favoring anyone!!! I do not care if the seating is GA or reserved!!!!!!!!! Get that through your head.

I would try another way to explain my point to you but I don't think I could get you to understand even if I tried.
    RIT Tigers

Comment

Ya'll are arguing for nothing. The decision has already been made.

I do not believe there is going to be "tiered" pricing for good seats. It will be the usual tiered pricing based on your status (Student, Alumni, etc). I'm not completely sure about the pricing model, so take that with a grain of salt.

The TLDR that you'll never hear officially from RIT is that the alumni and the greater RIT community are far more important than the Corner Crew or the students for this event. Brick City is one huge fundraiser for the university, and students are not the ones who open their wallets after a great weekend of events. If RIT can do something to generate more goodwill (or reduce negative experiences) from those populations, it's going to do it. Reserved seating just makes sense.
      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
        You're system is no more "fair" than LtPower's system. Your's just has the potential of making more money.
        We'll just have to disagree on that. My system doesn't allow "seat stealing" by/for people who aren't there (by individuals or groups). That is inherently more fair. And if good seats cost more ... it is also inherently more fair (assuming all have equal access to ticket purchasing and prices are not beyond anyone's means ... all do not have equal access to sitting around for hours).

If everyone "followed the rules", then I could agree that GA is not inherently less fair than reserved, but since people (and groups) do not follow the rules and "cheat" to turn GA into reserved for the privileged who are associate with a "cheater", then GA turns out to be less fair. (I realize that's a tad exaggerated, but it illustrates the point.)

As Winters said, apparently this is moot. And it is very important that those alumni and parents that pay for tickets get the seat they expect. People will stop coming if the change isn't made.
        -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
          We'll just have to disagree on that. My system doesn't allow "seat stealing" by/for people who aren't there (by individuals or groups). That is inherently more fair. And if good seats cost more ... it is also inherently more fair (assuming all have equal access to ticket purchasing and prices are not beyond anyone's means ... all do not have equal access to sitting around for hours).

If everyone "followed the rules", then I could agree that GA is not inherently less fair than reserved, but since people (and groups) do not follow the rules and "cheat" to turn GA into reserved for the privileged who are associate with a "cheater", then GA turns out to be less fair. (I realize that's a tad exaggerated, but it illustrates the point.)

As Winters said, apparently this is moot. And it is very important that those alumni and parents that pay for tickets get the seat they expect. People will stop coming if the change isn't made.
          Agree with Winters and Prof on this. I think I made a significant investment to travel to Rochester with my family last year, stay at a local hotel, eat meals at local establishments and contribute to the general good of RIT and the Rochester community. I walked into BCA with four tickets in hand and struggled to find even two seats together. Yes, it was my choice to get there 45 minutes before face-off, I know, my bad. Besides from losing to Penn State the only other downer were the crappy seats that I eventually got someone to "unreserve" for me and my son. I hope to go again this year, but if tickets are GA, I will buy two tickets instead of four and get there a little earlier for better seats. Hey if the seats are GA and a good contingent of Michigan folks show up early can they sit in RIT's band section? If it is GA, why not? All joking aside you can see how GA seats for an arena of this size can become problematic. Last year when I heard the announcer tell everybody to squeeze down and take up all available seats because there were still plenty of folks without seats I already felt that a little bit of luster was lost on what we all hoped would be a great night.
          RPI Engineers
          RIT Tigers
          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
            The TLDR that you'll never hear officially from RIT is that the alumni and the greater RIT community are far more important than the Corner Crew or the students for this event. Brick City is one huge fundraiser for the university, and students are not the ones who open their wallets after a great weekend of events. If RIT can do something to generate more goodwill (or reduce negative experiences) from those populations, it's going to do it. Reserved seating just makes sense.
            Speaking as an alumnus, I find reserved seating at an event like this annoying more than anything else. With reserved seating, I have to somehow coordinate with the friends with whom I want to sit to make sure we all get seats together, rather than simply being able to find them in the arena and sit down next to them. That's a huge pain in the you-know-what. We've either got to all go to the box office together, or else one person has to buy all the tickets and then get reimbursed.

It's a Saturday. If you've got better things to do than get to the arena early, then don't complain that there aren't any seats left.

I agree, though, that people shouldn't be saving huge swaths of seats. You snooze, you lose.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
              Last year when I heard the announcer tell everybody to squeeze down and take up all available seats because there were still plenty of folks without seats I already felt that a little bit of luster was lost on what we all hoped would be a great night.
              I don't see how that damages the luster, unless you're already annoyed by the lack of seating.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                Speaking as an alumnus, I find reserved seating at an event like this annoying more than anything else. With reserved seating, I have to somehow coordinate with the friends with whom I want to sit to make sure we all get seats together, rather than simply being able to find them in the arena and sit down next to them. That's a huge pain in the you-know-what. We've either got to all go to the box office together, or else one person has to buy all the tickets and then get reimbursed.

It's a Saturday. If you've got better things to do than get to the arena early, then don't complain that there aren't any seats left.

I agree, though, that people shouldn't be saving huge swaths of seats. You snooze, you lose.

Powers &8^]
                Besides coming off as kind of a dick, you are pretty much the proof positive of the phrase "you can't please everybody."

You can't seem to wrap your head around that MOST people have better things to do with their friends and family than sit on the concrete floor waiting around for gates to open 3 hours before puck drop. I can't help you with this. Certainly I could recommend more fun and interesting activities to you, but you simply will not have that.

It's really not that hard to coordinate with friends...have one person buy all the tickets and pay that person. Boom. Done. 5 minute conversation. You're overcomplicating the process in an attempt to make reserved seating seem like some kind of evil that it simply is not.

Edit: To further ruin your argument, let's look at examples from around the sporting world.

Amerks: Reserved seating
                Sabres: Reserved seating
                Bills: Reserved seating
                Yankees: Reserved seating
                Every MLB Team: Reserved seating
                Every NFL Team: Reserved seating
                Every NHL Team: Reserved seating
                Brick City Homecoming: General Admission

Somehow, friends around the country manage to get together and go to sporting events together. Reserved seating is not a barrier.
                Last edited by RIT Winters; 04-26-2013, 12:37 PM.
                RIT

Comment

Powers &8^]
                  Welcome to the world of arena sporting events. I repeat... find me very many major sporting events in arenas this large or larger that do NOT use reserved seating and I'd be shocked.
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                    Hey if the seats are GA and a good contingent of Michigan folks show up early can they sit in RIT's band section? If it is GA, why not?
                    I realize you were kidding, but I would assume that had they left this year's game as a GA event, they would have had to set aside a section (or more) for the UM fans and pep band. From what I understand, the Worlverine fan base travels well and they're only 6 hours or so away from here. I would imagine they'll show up for this one, being in the big arena and all... that is unless they're on some sort of mid-semester break that week or something. Of course, if Winters is correct this is all moot anyhow.
                    Can't we all just get along?
                    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Powers &8^]
                      Lets see which is easier????

You and a couple of friends leave the bar and head to the arena early to "reserve" a block of seats, irritating everyone else who is doing the same thing. All your friends come in and search the arena to find where your seats are. Then you sit down.

OR,

You go on line and buy the block of seats you want a week in advance and put it on your credit card. You meet at the bar of your choice, divy up the tickets, get reimbursed, have a few more drinks. Head to the Arena 20 minutes before game time. Sit down.
                      John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                      AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                      AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                      NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                      NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                      NCAA DII - 1983
                      NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                        I realize you were kidding, but I would assume that had they left this year's game as a GA event, they would have had to set aside a section (or more) for the UM fans and pep band. From what I understand, the Worlverine fan base travels well and they're only 6 hours or so away from here. I would imagine they'll show up for this one, being in the big arena and all... that is unless they're on some sort of mid-semester break that week or something. Of course, if Winters is correct this is all moot anyhow.
                        With it being a Saturday in autumn, unless a certain team has a bye, I'll be shocked to see them show up.

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                          Lets see which is easier????

have a few more drinks.
                          Yes, this one. I definitely pick this one.
                          -M

Comment

You know there was day when even RIT and Elmira fans could have a polite debate on this board and despite those who wanted to hang a certain alumni living behind enemy lines for brokering peace, I think they even miss those days.

There positive and negatives with reserved seating. I for one can see the benefit as someone who lives 60 miles away and trying to get to the games on Friday is tough and you feel bad asking someone to hold you a seat when you might be anywhere between 15 to 25 minutes late. Now I do have other friends and family that every now and then join us for an RIT Hockey game. My wife and I are still trying to figure out what we would do if the new arena goes reserved as we expect them too.

So I see the Pro and Cons on each side... I would still prefer myself reserved seating, it just getting too crazy to have to get there that early. If RIT is smart they should take care and give season ticket holders and all those who have supported their program for years first picks on seats. You should be able to show up 15-20 minutes before the game and walk to your seat. General Admission is crazy at Blue Cross, the size of the crowd is way to big and just invites an ugly incident...
                            Last edited by Tom Naeger; 04-26-2013, 03:58 PM.
                            Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                            The Mule
                            Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Edit: To further ruin your argument, let's look at examples from around the sporting world.

Amerks: Reserved seating
                              Sabres: Reserved seating
                              Bills: Reserved seating
                              Yankees: Reserved seating
                              Every MLB Team: Reserved seating
                              Every NFL Team: Reserved seating
                              Every NHL Team: Reserved seating
                              Brick City Homecoming: General Admission

Somehow, friends around the country manage to get together and go to sporting events together. Reserved seating is not a barrier.
                              I assume the Flash also do reserved seating? BTW, anyone going to that tomorrow?

Comment

Besides coming off as kind of a dick, you are pretty much the proof positive of the phrase "you can't please everybody."
                                I don't think I'm the one who looks the worst in this whole argument. It might be the people saying "I want reserved seats so I can waltz into the arena whenever I want".

You can't seem to wrap your head around that MOST people have better things to do with their friends and family than sit on the concrete floor waiting around for gates to open 3 hours before puck drop.
                                Conveniently there's a hockey game going on during those three hours that I can watch.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X