Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers - 2013 Offseason: The Future Looks Bright <<<

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I don't blame you for wanting to forget that RPI game.

Once you get your new arena, I suspect you'll be able to get some more teams at home.
    Have to agree about more teams at home. But thinking that RIT will be hosting some of the top programs in NCAA even with the new arena is a pipe dream.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Considering their recent track record, I'd say having BC coming to town is a pretty big deal. Who else would we consider more prestigious top programs right now? Yale lol? Though that would be cool to see Wilson v Wilson.

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      Have to agree about more teams at home. But thinking that RIT will be hosting some of the top programs in NCAA even with the new arena is a pipe dream.
      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
        Considering their recent track record, I'd say having BC coming to town is a pretty big deal. Who else would we consider more prestigious top programs right now? Yale lol? Though that would be cool to see Wilson v Wilson.
        I think he meant non-BCA home opponents.
        I'm sure though, that Coach Wilson's history with Jerry York had everything to do with BC coming in here. If it weren't for that, there's probably no way.
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
          I think he meant non-BCA home opponents.
          I'm sure though, that Coach Wilson's history with Jerry York had everything to do with BC coming in here. If it weren't for that, there's probably no way.
          If RIT didn't have Michigan on the schedule this year I would agree with you, but since they do. I think the Blue Cross game will draw a lot of interest from coaches of the big conferences. Its a great atmosphere to test their team in early in the season...
          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
          The Mule
          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
            If RIT didn't have Michigan on the schedule this year I would agree with you, but since they do. I think the Blue Cross game will draw a lot of interest from coaches of the big conferences. Its a great atmosphere to test their team in early in the season...
            My point was not only about the fact that BC is a big-time program, but also the fact that they rarely travel outside of New England (like most HEA teams) unless it is to play another big-time program or to play in an in-season tournament. Dating back to 99-00, BC has travelled to NC games that weren't tournament games against the following opponents:
            Big-time: Notre Dame, Denver, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, North Dakota
            New England: Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, Vermont (when in ECAC)
            Others: Clarkson (1/5/08), and Bowling Green (10/15/2005)

So my guess is that BC just isn't too inclined to travel outside of NE to play an NC opponent that isn't a marquis matchup very often, let alone from the "lowly" AHA, rink size notwithstanding.

As far as testing the team, programs like that play more than enough games in that type of atmosphere against other similar programs. I don't think it would add too much value to them like it would to an AHA team that doesn't have as many opportunities to play in front of big crowds prior to NCAA tournament games.
            Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM.
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Well, seems like Canisius is upping its game. Going to really hurt for us to compete as more teams in the AHA each year seem to be upping their commitment to hockey.

Not saying I don't like competition, it's just that no scholarships seems to be hurting more and more and the edge we thought we had in recruiting seems to be dwindling.

Comment

I'm not all that sure that scholarships would make much of a difference. RIT athletes already get a pretty nice package. At this point, offering better exposure to other NCAA teams and professional opportunities post college is what will get us better prospects.

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                Well, seems like Canisius is upping its game. Going to really hurt for us to compete as more teams in the AHA each year seem to be upping their commitment to hockey.

Not saying I don't like competition, it's just that no scholarships seems to be hurting more and more and the edge we thought we had in recruiting seems to be dwindling.
                RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                  My point was not only about the fact that BC is a big-time program, but also the fact that they rarely travel outside of New England (like most HEA teams) unless it is to play another big-time program or to play in an in-season tournament. Dating back to 99-00, BC has travelled to NC games that weren't tournament games against the following opponents:
                  Big-time: Notre Dame, Denver, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, North Dakota
                  New England: Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, Vermont (when in ECAC)
                  Others: Clarkson (1/5/08), Bowling Green (10/15/2005), and Alaska (10/13/2001)

So my guess is that BC just isn't too inclined to travel outside of NE to play an NC opponent that isn't a marquis matchup very often, let alone from the "lowly" AHA, rink size notwithstanding.

As far as testing the team, programs like that play more than enough games in that type of atmosphere against other similar programs. I don't think it would add too much value to them like it would to an AHA team that doesn't have as many opportunities to play in front of big crowds prior to NCAA tournament games.
                  You sure the Alaska game wasn't a tournament? That's usually when either the Kendall or the Brice is.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    You sure the Alaska game wasn't a tournament? That's usually when either the Kendall or the Brice is.
                    You are correct. The first source I got that info from did not indicate that, but it appears as though is was since they also played DU the previous day in Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post

That's not upping their game, just moving it. Nothing to worry about there. Scholarships are no more relevant then they were yesterday.
                      -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                        That's not upping their game, just moving it. Nothing to worry about there. Scholarships are no more relevant then they were yesterday.
                        Considering they won the AHA Championship a few months ago, I'd say they're pretty relevant. The fact that they can now tell recruits they've got a better facility, right on the Sabres doorstep, is only going to improve their recruiting... which has been amazingly good considering the small size of the school, its lack of fan support, and the facilities issue.

Dave Smith must have some sort of secret recruiting trick because I can't figure out how else they get the players they do.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                          Considering they won the AHA Championship a few months ago, I'd say they're pretty relevant. The fact that they can now tell recruits they've got a better facility, right on the Sabres doorstep, is only going to improve their recruiting... which has been amazingly good considering the small size of the school, its lack of fan support, and the facilities issue.
                          I agree. It's not going to make them national champions but it certainly isn't going to hurt.

Dave Smith must have some sort of secret recruiting trick because I can't figure out how else they get the players they do.
                          My guess is no academic standards for athletes.
                          My Four Favorite teams:
                          RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                          Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

What NCAA prospect isn't going to want to play in a rink that has NHL coaches and scouts seven days a week? That's a huge recruiting bonus.

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                            RIT Tigers

Comment

Considering they won the AHA Championship a few months ago, I'd say they're pretty relevant.
                              Powers &8^]
                              So when RIT or Air Force win, scholarships are irrelevant and when Canisius wins, they are. Give me a break.

Canisius is making a 10 minute move to some slightly nicer facilities for them. If the NHL guys wanted to see them, they would take the 10-min. cab ride. There is no way they are spending 7 nights a week in that new arena. And if was such a boon to recruiting into AHA and NHL, then it would be for every team that visits Canisius. You guys are giving the NHL scouts way too little credit.

BTW: Great for Canisius, that they are getting a slightly better place to play. But all you RIT "fans" shouldn't be shaking in your boots compared to an on-campus arena with more than twice the capacity and a pretty significant fan base. Those NHL scouts spend plenty of time on the RIT campus as well (of course, more would be a good sign.)
                              -M

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                                What NCAA prospect isn't going to want to play in a rink that has NHL coaches and scouts seven days a week? That's a huge recruiting bonus.
                                That statement is just a whole lot of fun to me. Just for the record I have seen Lindy Ruff and more Buffalo Jr. Sabres games than Canisius or Niagara games. I've seen a meet scouts of a couple NHL teams at Niagara, Canisius, and RIT. The closest the Sabres came to my knowledge is when Derek Roy came for a came and stood up Chris Lerch and company for an interview. I swear Lerchie still is not over it, tried to get Sabretooth to give him a back run but it just was not happening...

Ironically Canisius was closer when they played at the Pepsi Center (Now called the Northtown Center for those who care). That where the Sabres hold the majority of their workouts. I have heard talk in certain circles that some Buffalo Sabres players would rather keep playing in Amherst, closer to where most of them live than down town.

In the end it going to help Canisius. That entire area of Buffalo is finally getting develop with private money despite inept downtown government even by NY State standards. I think in the end Buffalo finally will do to their water front something at least close to what Cleveland and Pittsburgh has done with their waterfront. The only problem I see is it remain to be see if this will help get more people to Canisius games. Students still are going to be a lot closer to the Basketball games, and Canisius top two programs are the men's and women's basketball team.

I have my doubts on them drawing much local support. No one goes downtown in the Winter unless there is a Sabres game. And much of what they are building will be more gear to the summer time crowd. The Jr. Sabres tried playing some games at HSBC and that lasted just one season...

Shameless plug, as a certain Canisius play by play guy would say, "You Better Call Somebody!!!" and let them know to come to the game....

Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                                The Mule
                                Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Working...
                                X