Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>> RIT Tigers - 2013 Offseason: The Future Looks Bright <<<

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
    Which I think is a big mistake for this league. You're never going to get a vast number of fans traveling for their schools (outside of RIT). I think each round should be hosted by the higher seed, much like the first round and quarter finals. The AHA just needs to put in place rules requiring a certain percentage of tickets needs to be available for the away team. This is the only way to maximize attendance for the tournament.
    Unless you can overcome the issues that currently exist with host schools trying to minimize/discourage the visiting fans (e.g., NU breaking up the visitor seating and NU and Canisus not welcoming visiting bands), then going back to school sites is a mistake. What "real" DI hockey leagues play their tournament final at school sites?

The problem AHA has is that so few of the schools have a real rabid following of fans. Perhaps the fact that up until last year most of the schools were just bracket fill. Perhaps having more teams with a chance will breed more fans. No matter what though, the league (and the individual schools) has to do a lot more marketing. not just of the tournament, but of the regular season hockey as well. Perhaps a smaller and more centrally located venue would help with tournament weekend attendance. Heck, even the ECAC is struggling to find a comfortable home for it's tournament.

Also, RIT picked up another recruit in Defenseman Dustin Fostvelt (6'0"-190lbs) a 4 year player (170gm-18g-57a-0.4pt/gm) with Spruce Grove of the AJHL (60gm-10g-27a-0.6pt/gm). He was the 2nd leading scorer for the Saints who won the AJHLs north division and are still allive in the playoffs.

That makes 3 defensemen and 4 forwards coming in next year to replace the 3(4) seniors.
    Last edited by XCTiger; 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM.
    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Love the idea of "kids attend free with paid adult ticket". That single action could do wonders for the AHA tournament and all the teams in the long run. That also would help fill up the Frontier Field game. (Just require the tickets to be "purchased" together and all is well.)
      -M

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
        That makes 3 defensemen and 4 forwards coming in next year to replace the 3(4) seniors.
        I believe it is only 3 seniors leaving, Potts got an extra year of eligibility, and remember Brandon Thompson should be back. So instead of having 2 guys sitting out next year we should have 7 guys sitting a game. (Hopefully my math is correct).

Comment

I think there is no question that several fans decided not to support the league in the tournament for various reasons, not the least of which is how Niagara and Canisius have treated Tiger fans and their band over the years.

The other problem the league faces in putting people in seats is that there is no GOOD central location to have the tournament. Buffalo would have been the closest thing to it with Niagara and Canisius practically right there - but are we really going to count on those teams? Other conferences have a location that is centrally located to some teams so they figure if one team doesn't get there, at least one of the others will to help with attendance.

Lastly, how much advertising does the league even do? Was a promo run during any Amerks games?

As for RIT - I think the outdoor game will draw fairly well even if not a sellout. Bringing in plenty of recruits is a big thing. I think Coach realized some of the players that were recruited did not progress as well as hoped and may lose their "spots". And I still say if I HAVE to choose between a conference win and a non-conference win, the conference win wins every time (not that I don't want both). Who wouldn't have traded that Michigan win for 2 or 3 more conference wins and a much better chance at the NCAAs?
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
            And I still say if I HAVE to choose between a conference win and a non-conference win, the conference win wins every time (not that I don't want both). Who wouldn't have traded that Michigan win for 2 or 3 more conference wins and a much better chance at the NCAAs?
            Outside of getting a first round by, regular season wins don't matter much in the AHA. We could have avoided playing Niagara with a better record, but at the end of the day (or season...) it comes down to how we play in the tournament. So really, we only have to play well once we get to the tournament if we're not shooting for an at-large bid.
            RIT Tigers

Comment

But regular season championships are also very good PR (better than playing outside even!).

The tournament championship always matters most, but the season should not be completely discounted.
              -M

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post

Lastly, how much advertising does the league even do? Was a promo run during any Amerks games?
                I was at a Amerks game maybe 2 months ago and there was a promo for the AHA tournament. People will only spend the money to see teams they recognize and follow. No one in the AHA is a draw to anyone but their own fans and most of those fan bases are very small to non existent. I don't see a way the AHA could have made this a bigger event even with more aggressive advertising outside of comping a ton of tickets to youth hockey teams, but to my knowledge most of those leagues are already over.
                RIT Tigers
                Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
                  I was at a Amerks game maybe 2 months ago and there was a promo for the AHA tournament. People will only spend the money to see teams they recognize and follow. No one in the AHA is a draw to anyone but their own fans and most of those fan bases are very small to non existent. I don't see a way the AHA could have made this a bigger event even with more aggressive advertising outside of comping a ton of tickets to youth hockey teams, but to my knowledge most of those leagues are already over.
                  Promo the tickets and make your money on the concessions, parking, etc. it's not rocket science. You get a good crowd, some good PR out of it and eventually, word gets out that it's a good time regardless of who's playing. That's how you promote the tourney.
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

What "real" DI hockey leagues play their tournament final at school sites?
                    College Hockey America.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                      The eternal naysayers and pessimists that dominate this discussion will tell you there's no chance. I tend to think there is an above average chance of it, and even if we don't, we will put enough fans in seats to be completely worth it.

We're not the Amerks, nor should we be. The Amerks are going to sell it out because it's a special event and it's a professional team, and they have more community exposure. I don't think RIT pulling in 5000 or 7000 should be considered a failure, if that ends up being what we draw.
                      I am certainly one of the naysayers and I would be surprised if this game draws more than 2500 people. I would be astounded if it draws 5000 and will think the world is ending if it draws 7000! At the end of the day this is a novelty game that will draw hardcore RIT fans and people are interested in seeing a sideshow. All of whom must be willing to brave potentially bad weather. I just don't see 5000 people who fall into those categories.

Do they ever have threads? The only other fans I see posting on here are Bently.
                      Do the other teams even have fans?

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                      Attendance is more than just Canisius's problem. I think the AHA really needs to market the championship weekend better to the Rochester area to improve attendance. I don't think Canisius (or Mercyhurst for that matter, with 4400 students, can be blamed for poor attendance.
                      Very true. Attendance of the tourney is an AHA problem, not an individual school problem. The AHA needs to plan that they cannot count on RIT making the tourney every year. And somehow make up for that. The onus falls on them.

Unless you can overcome the issues that currently exist with host schools trying to minimize/discourage the visiting fans (e.g., NU breaking up the visitor seating and NU and Canisus not welcoming visiting bands), then going back to school sites is a mistake.
                      I’m not advocating for having the finals of the tourney at host schools, but this above should not be an issue if the tourney were to be held at a school. It should be a simple mandate from the AHA that the above doesn’t happen and if it does said host will be excluded from hosting tourney games for “x “ number of years. Period. Simple. Won’t happen but it should be that simple.

Heck, even the ECAC is struggling to find a comfortable home for it's tournament.
                      The ECAC is in much the same predicament as the AHA. Smaller schools with lots of them having minimal fanbase. Much like if RIT doesn’t make the AHA finals, if Cornell doesn’t make the ECAC finals then attendance will be dismal. In my opinion the main reason the ECAC is struggling with a permanent home is because they are trying to find that happy medium between distance for travel, a host city where everyone makes some money, and having decent attendance if the “big draw” team doesn’t make it. If I was the AHA I would definitely try to learn from what the ECAC has done well and what has not worked.

Outside of getting a first round by, regular season wins don't matter much in the AHA. We could have avoided playing Niagara with a better record, but at the end of the day (or season...) it comes down to how we play in the tournament. So really, we only have to play well once we get to the tournament if we're not shooting for an at-large bid.
                      Are you really being serious with this comment?
                      My Four Favorite teams:
                      RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                      Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        College Hockey America.

Powers &8^]
                        Women ECAC.
                        My Four Favorite teams:

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                          Women ECAC.
                          I think all women, right?
                          Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                          College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                          Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                          Men's Frozen Four 2010
                          Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                          Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                            I believe it is only 3 seniors leaving, Potts got an extra year of eligibility, and remember Brandon Thompson should be back. So instead of having 2 guys sitting out next year we should have 7 guys sitting a game. (Hopefully my math is correct).
                            Just saw this article: http://www.ritathletics.com/news/201...327131231.aspx. At the end it says RIT is returning 18 players next year. We had 23 on the team this year (not including Thompson). So that means there are 2 players that were not seniors that are leaving. My bet is it's the 2 players (not goalie) not mentioned in the article (Potts and Brownell) that are are leaving as well even though they have extra eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                              I think all women, right?
                              Could be. I don't know as I only follow ECAC and CHA women's conferences.
                              My Four Favorite teams:

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                                Are you really being serious with this comment?
                                Sure am, it's not hard to follow. You have two options: earn an at large bid with OOC and Conf wins or win the tournament. The minimum amount you have to do to win the tournament is play 6-8 really good games. Of course you can easily say that having a strong season and playing well that you're more likely going to win those 6-8 games.
                                RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X