Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers - 2013 Offseason: The Future Looks Bright <<<

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
    Right hand side, under Fan Zone, there are five links. Bottom one is for the Power Play. They should move it up front and center as it's hidden well down there.
    Excellent. Thank you. I looked fairly hard on the front page of athletics and again on the men's hockey page and could not find a link. I am happy it is there even if it is not front and center.
    My Four Favorite teams:
    RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
    Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
      I agree. When an organization's most passionate supporters are have no idea what is happening or if fundraising is continuing that is a bad job. I looked at the RIT athletic page and there was not a link that I could find to the power play page. Maybe NCAA rules prohibits the intermingling, but I doubt it. I think it is just another half-assed job being done by RIT.

I gave money when the new arena was first announced way back in what late 2010 / early 2011. Granted the amount I could afford to give was peanuts compared to some. However, since then I have not had one single contact by RIT for more money to the PP fund. What the heck is up with that? Seriously poor job by RIT.

I have never been involved with a capital project any where near the scope of the new arena, but I have been heavily involved with a non-profit capital project of about $500k. If the organization I have been involved with had done the fundraising like RIT has we would still be waiting to build over 5 years later. I am almost in disbelief of how poorly this is run. No contact to alumni = no money coming in. No excitement about the new arena = no money coming in. Pretty simple really. I think RIT overestimated how easy getting money for a new hockey arena would be.
      Perhaps tuition has been rising? Maybe they've raked in some dough from hosting the AHA championships (doubt it, but you never know)?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Maybe they've raked in some dough from hosting the AHA championships (doubt it, but you never know)?
        RIT doesn't host the AHA championships.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
          RIT doesn't host the AHA championships.

Powers &8^]
          Not only that, but (and please somebody correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly) neither RIT nor any other AHA school makes any revenue directly from AHA tournament games of any round, regardless of site. It all goes to the league. I would assume all 12 teams evenly split any returns the league chooses to re-distribute from that pool of $.
          Can't we all just get along?
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
            Not only that, but (and please somebody correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly) neither RIT nor any other AHA school makes any revenue directly from AHA tournament games of any round, regardless of site. It all goes to the league. I would assume all 12 teams evenly split any returns the league chooses to re-distribute from that pool of $.
            Fair enough. Perhaps current students can give insight as to exorbitant tuition hikes that may be leading to funding?

Comment

RIT's Office of Development and high-level officials have been very active in reaching out directly, including logging a lot of miles meeting with alumni and corporate donors -- including when RIT hockey travels on the road -- and hosting potential donors in the president's box at games at RIT.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Fair enough. Perhaps current students can give insight as to exorbitant tuition hikes that may be leading to funding?
                They have said since the beginning that no tuition money is going to the arena.
                Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                Men's Frozen Four 2010
                Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post

Also ... I wonder if "RIT Power Play" translates well into "Donate to the new ice arena" for potential donors. I would think most hockey fans know they mean one and the same by now, but it's really not obvious.

Excellent point! It's a catchy marketing name for it but to those just browsing, it doesn't really stand out for it's real purpose.
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                    RIT's Office of Development and high-level officials have been very active in reaching out directly, including logging a lot of miles meeting with alumni and corporate donors -- including when RIT hockey travels on the road -- and hosting potential donors in the president's box at games at RIT.
                    OMG Larry Quinn was at a playoff game!! (Saturday against AIC I think because I was there too) wow that totally makes sense now

Comment

That's good (and their jobs), but there is no outward appearance that any progress has been made and that means all the small donors still don't know what their money has gone for, which kills the prospects for large numbers of small donors. Of course, those donors don't pay for the bulk of it, but there has also been no announcements of the needed big donors to encourage the smaller ones. Pictures of what is actually being constructed would be one small step.

Check out the "news": http://www.rit.edu/~w-giving/powerplay/news.php
                      The only news since the groundbreaking is an explanation of why it looks like nothing is happening. Makes me want to grab the checkbook!!
                      -M

Comment

Maybe they should stop because by all reasonable indications they are not doing a good job at gathering money. And if they are, then that information or perhaps I should say excitement, is certainly not getting out the general public. Again no excitement = no money. People want to feel like they are donating to a good cause and/or something that is exciting and they want to be a “part of”.

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                        That's good (and their jobs), but there is no outward appearance that any progress has been made and that means all the small donors still don't know what their money has gone for, which kills the prospects for large numbers of small donors. Of course, those donors don't pay for the bulk of it, but there has also been no announcements of the needed big donors to encourage the smaller ones. Pictures of what is actually being constructed would be one small step.

Check out the "news": http://www.rit.edu/~w-giving/powerplay/news.php
                        The only news since the groundbreaking is an explanation of why it looks like nothing is happening. Makes me want to grab the checkbook!!
                        Agreed. One thing to add, most people do not know but the average amount of a charitable donation in the US is ~$21. This figure takes into account the million dollar plus donations and the penny donations, so overlooking the small donations is a very poor business model. Also, most medium to larger donators are more willing to write that check when they know that the average person is excited and is donating.
                        Last edited by MattS; 05-10-2013, 07:36 AM.
                        My Four Favorite teams:
                        RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                        Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

The Colgate thread reports that they are playing RIT on Thursday 10/10 (start of Brick City weekend) - weird to see a thursday night game...
                          Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                          College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                          Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                          Men's Frozen Four 2010
                          Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                          Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Hey... there's activity again at the new rink site! Looks like they're pouring concrete into the pilings and cutting them off at ground level. Good to see some activity there again... there seemed to be too long a span between sub-contractors.
                            BTW, I have a source that tells me there is a lot of activity that has been going on behind the scenes. I think that the absence of new renderings may be a sign that there may be some changes being made that will please a lot of people. Let's stay positive about this.
                            RIT TIGERS
                            Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                            Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions/NCAA Tournament 2010, 2015, 2016
                            Frozen Four 2010
                            The Gene Polisseni Center @ RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RITFan67 View Post
                              I think that the absence of new renderings may be a sign that there may be some changes being made that will please a lot of people. Let's stay positive about this.
                              That would be a pleasant surprise! (Maybe the RITProf luxury suite, bar, and microbrewery got put in the plans after all!)
                              -M

Comment

• Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                                That would be a pleasant surprise! (Maybe the RITProf luxury suite, bar, and microbrewery got put in the plans after all!)
                                Don't forget the roof top heli port.
                                Parking problem solved
                                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Working...
                                X