>>> RIT Tigers - 2013 Offseason: The Future Looks Bright <<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers - 2013 Offseason: The Future Looks Bright <<<

So every professional sports fan.. and most college hockey fans. Heck even Air Force has reserved seating for their home games.

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    I don't think I'm the one who looks the worst in this whole argument. It might be the people saying "I want reserved seats so I can waltz into the arena whenever I want".
    ]
    RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I assume the Flash also do reserved seating? BTW, anyone going to that tomorrow?
      Yes. Both Sahlen Stadium and Frontier Field are reserved seating for sporting events with the exception of the "peanut-free" grassy knoll at Frontier and three corner sections at Sahlen. (the upper deck at Sahlen is not listed as available for either Rhinos or Flash games - not sure if that is GA when needed).

No, I did not go to the Flash game yesterday. May take my daughter to one or two later in the season (after school is out). That's ok. Abby's not playing yet anyhow.
      Can't we all just get along?
      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
        Yes. Both Sahlen Stadium and Frontier Field are reserved seating for sporting events with the exception of the "peanut-free" grassy knoll at Frontier and three corner sections at Sahlen. (the upper deck at Sahlen is not listed as available for either Rhinos or Flash games - not sure if that is GA when needed).

No, I did not go to the Flash game yesterday. May take my daughter to one or two later in the season (after school is out). That's ok. Abby's not playing yet anyhow.
        When I went, they closed off the stands behind the goal, but that whole area is GA. Obviously reserved in the other areas. They've certainly had a rough start with or without Wambach.

Actually, I've noticed that a number of ECAC rinks have at least some general admission areas, even if it's SRO. What percentage of the Brick City event's seating is gen-ad? I would think they'd have at least SOME reserved areas...

Comment

What percentage of the Brick City event's seating is gen-ad? I would think they'd have at least SOME reserved areas...
          Virtually 100% has been general admission -- everything except the luxury boxes. At least until the 2013 edition, apparently.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Virtually 100% has been general admission -- everything except the luxury boxes. At least until the 2013 edition, apparently.
            Powers &8^]
            I'm guessing (completely) that they started the BCH game as a GA event "back in the day" (up to and including 2009) when there was absolutely no chance the game was going to sell out and 5,000 was a good crowd. GA made perfect sense for those games (easier to sell tickets, plenty of empty seats to pick from), but it seems they were a few years behind the curve to switch it to at least a partially reserved seat event. After 2009 when they drew by far their largest crowd (7,000+ ?, I can't remember the exact number) and then drew much fanfare with their FF run later that same season, that would have been the time to see the imminent sell-outs coming and make the change. So it took them 2010, 2011, and 2012 to figure out that this event is likely to be at or near capacity for the foreseeable future. At least they figured it out eventually.

And for the record, I'm not about calling you names or trying to make you look bad. I was just participating in a healthy debate.

I also tend to favor reserved seat events due to security/safety issues. Not that there is any comparison at all between too many people saving seats at a hockey game and a violent event at a soccer game or concert, but... many of us do remember the Who concert in Cincinnati.
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I'm guessing (completely) that they started the BCH game as a GA event "back in the day" (up to and including 2009) when there was absolutely no chance the game was going to sell out and 5,000 was a good crowd. GA made perfect sense for those games (easier to sell tickets, plenty of empty seats to pick from), but it seems they were a few years behind the curve to switch it to at least a partially reserved seat event. After 2009 when they drew by far their largest crowd (7,000+ ?, I can't remember the exact number) and then drew much fanfare with their FF run later that same season, that would have been the time to see the imminent sell-outs coming and make the change. So it took them 2010, 2011, and 2012 to figure out that this event is likely to be at or near capacity for the foreseeable future. At least they figured it out eventually.

And for the record, I'm not about calling you names or trying to make you look bad. I was just participating in a healthy debate.

I also tend to favor reserved seat events due to security/safety issues. Not that there is any comparison at all between too many people saving seats at a hockey game and a violent event at a soccer game or concert, but... many of us do remember the Who concert in Cincinnati.
              You'd think that they could do a compromise, make the good seats reserved (between the blue lines, behind the goals, boxes), and then gen-ad for the corners.

Comment

It would stand to reason that there is at least GA seating for the corner crew area. However I have no evidence to support this being the case, and the one person of authority I mentioned this concern to basically said "yeah I sure hope they thought about that".

"They" in this case is Alumni Relations, as they run the Brick City event as opposed to athletics who runs any other regular season game.
                RIT

Comment

You'd think that they could do a compromise, make the good seats reserved (between the blue lines, behind the goals, boxes), and then gen-ad for the corners.
                  They could, but when you mix it too much then you have to rely on the ushers to enforce it. And anyone who knows how hard the ushers at Rochester pro sporting events work know that would be a concern to say the least. There would be a ton of GA ticket holders not realizing which sections are GA (or not even knowing the whole arena isn't GA) perching themselves in reserved seats until the actual seat holders arrive, then having to go to where the actual GA seats are to find whatever scraps are left. I could see that being a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                    It would stand to reason that there is at least GA seating for the corner crew area. However I have no evidence to support this being the case, and the one person of authority I mentioned this concern to basically said "yeah I sure hope they thought about that".

"They" in this case is Alumni Relations, as they run the Brick City event as opposed to athletics who runs any other regular season game.
                    But even if they somehow forgot and didn't give the Corner Crew GA, the Crew could essentially take it upon themselves to make their section into GA if they wanted to (as long as they all managed to get tickets in their section(s), that is).

Comment

They could, but when you mix it too much then you have to rely on the ushers to enforce it. And anyone who knows how hard the ushers at Rochester pro sporting events work know that would be a concern to say the least. There would be a ton of GA ticket holders not realizing which sections are GA (or not even knowing the whole arena isn't GA) perching themselves in reserved seats until the actual seat holders arrive, then having to go to where the actual GA seats are to find whatever scraps are left. I could see that being a hassle.
                      You're telling me they couldn't spend a few bucks to put some signs up at the entrances to state that general admission for this event is at the following sections? Obviously we could argue the ends that didn't see the sign until the cows come home, but if you make it fairly conspicuous, it'd be a much easier way to get out the message.

Comment

You're telling me they couldn't spend a few bucks to put some signs up at the entrances to state that general admission for this event is at the following sections? Obviously we could argue the ends that didn't see the sign until the cows come home, but if you make it fairly conspicuous, it'd be a much easier way to get out the message.
                        Print the tickets with specific section and seat #'s for reserved, and just section # for GA.

No matter how dummy-proof you try to make it, somebody will get confused and complain.
                        John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                        AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                        NCAA DII - 1983
                        NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

I don't think I'm the one who looks the worst in this whole argument. It might be the people saying "I want reserved seats so I can waltz into the arena whenever I want".

Conveniently there's a hockey game going on during those three hours that I can watch.

Powers &8^]
                          Believe it or not even some of us "die hard" fans have a life outside of RIT hockey...

Its one game. You know there are a ton of students sections around college athletics that deal with assigned seating just fine. It did not seem to hurt the corner crew at the frozen for in Detroit. I truly feel sorry for people whose life is now ruin because RIT Hockey has achieved so much success that Reserved seating is required to accommodate the growth of the fan base. I can at least offer you tickets to a Brockport, Genny, or Naz general admission game...
                          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                          The Mule
                          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

I think the lack of any reserved seating has hurt RIT in terms of attendance, especially for non-students. Those fans rarely can get to a game the seemingly requisite hour and a half ahead of time to get a seat - especially at the Ritter. Try to bring a young kid to the game without a seat. That doesn't fly with most parents - and hey the parents want to sit too.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                              I think the lack of any reserved seating has hurt RIT in terms of attendance, especially for non-students. Those fans rarely can get to a game the seemingly requisite hour and a half ahead of time to get a seat - especially at the Ritter. Try to bring a young kid to the game without a seat. That doesn't fly with most parents - and hey the parents want to sit too.
                              Doesn't Ritter have a few sections of reserved seating? I seem to remember that when RPI played there, and it may have been around 5-10% capacity as reserved, but how quickly does that fill? Perhaps add a little more? Maybe as a market test for when your new rink is built? Not sure if they're planning for all of that to be gen-ad...

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                                No matter how dummy-proof you try to make it, somebody will get confused and complain.
                                That is pretty much what I was thinking. All the signs in the world don't seem to matter to some people. Heck, the highways are littered with Speed Limit signs that only a small percentage of drivers actually pay any attention to (I know... not the same thing... but it sounded good ).

Comment

Working...
                                X