Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Regional: Minnesota vs Yale

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    The Gophers were the one seed in '06, weren't they? I thought this helped fuel the "biggest upset of all time" talk.

Nope. Badgers were the 1 due to their victory over the Gophers in the now defunct 3rd place game at the Final Five.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
      Condon and Schmidt (undrafted) are not necessarily flight risks at this point. Bjugs, Haula are gone...Budish maybe. Helgy's a senior.
      Schmidt is a major flight risk. UFAs strike while the iron is hot. Budish said he'd be back after the game, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
        goofs will be hearing this in their nightmares.

Doubtful any of them really care. See you next season ***clown.

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
          Incorrect

Alabama Huntsville could have won their last game

What about northeastern/umass-Amherst?

Any aha teams not make their conference tourney?

I believe that PSU won their last game.

Unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Nope. Badgers were the 1 due to their victory over the Gophers in the now defunct 3rd place game at the Final Five.
            Oh ya, both the CHA and AHA existed back then. lol

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              The Gophers came out of the gate with good speed, won battles for loose pucks, but missed a ton of shots on net and Yale blocked a truckload of attempted shots. Credit Yale whose game plan was to protect the paint and Malcolm with strong physical D and blocked shots. Yale scored 2 in the 2nd, gained more confidence and put the Gophers on their heels. The Gophers finally broke the scoring drought in the 3rd to tie it at 2-2, but Yale came out in OT, dumped the puck in the Gopher's zone at the drop and a Gopher D turnover by Marshall resulted in Root being all alone in front to score the GWG only 9 seconds into OT.

A tough loss for the Gophers for the final game of the season. They showed a better effort than last weekend against CC, but overall their shot accuracy was pathetic, the PP was ineffective, and Yale's speed and forechecking gave them a chance to win.

I honestly did not expect the Gophers to win the Natty this year. They have not been consistent since January and unfortunately they continued their lack of effective play around the net today. The best players were not the best players today for the Gophers. Tough and disappointing end to an exciting season of Gopher hockey.
              It seems to me that the Gophers take many errant shots because they rely so much on the one-timers and slapshots from the point or the perimeter. That strategy works often on the power play, but not so much even strength.

If you compare this Gophers team with the teams that won championships a decade ago, here's what today's team is missing most:
              1. Dependable d-men who don't make mistakes. That was Jordan Leopold, and that was Paul Martin.
              2. A big body that gets in by the net and puts in the rebounds. That was Grant Potulny. Bjudgstad is big, but most of his shots are one timers and slapshots on the power play.

Comment

Unfortunately.
                Penn State and Massachusetts.

Comment

The parallels to this flameout and the one in 06 are stunning.

It's almost the same script. National title contender, ranked #1 for parts of the season, lost in the Final Five and stumbled into the playoffs - Gopher fan hoped they could turn it on, two seed, lose in OT 3-2 to a 15 seed.

The only difference is that there was no partisan crowd willing on the opponent this time, so absolutely no excuse.

For about the 20th time this year, the Gophers came out flat and tried to turn it on late. Was only a matter of time before this would bite them when it counts.

They were a dominant team when they were in gear.
                  I'd also note that this Yale team is probably much stronger than that Holy Cross team was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Unfortunately.
                    Correct, penn state and umass won their last games....

A common fallacy that "everyone loses their last game"

Some teams tie their last game if its the conference consolation/3rd place game....

Comment

Originally posted by und92umnlaw99 View Post
                      methinks that "ecac fans" (what's that about? I'm a fan of a team, not a conference) have a bit of a chip on their shoulder.
                      Yes, We Do !!!!

ECAC 1 WHCA 0
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

What a game! Congrats Yale! Grinding out a win!

Comment

Schmidt is a major flight risk. UFAs strike while the iron is hot. Budish said he'd be back after the game, apparently.
                          Condon is not undrafted, but he's made great improvement this year, and Colorado risks losing him to another team if he plays another year at Minnesota and then waits until August of 2014 to become a free agent. Schmidt is, and he's one of the top collegiate UFAs. I think he would be foolish not to sign with an NHL team.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                            I'd also note that this Yale team is probably much stronger than that Holy Cross team was.

I believe that the 06 Gopher team was better than this one too which probably leaves the Holy Cross game as a bigger upset.

Comment

UFAs? What are you talkin' about? I highly doubt Schmidt will leave.

Comment

The NCAA put the fix in on this game because Yale was slumping in jersey sales. This will totally bring them back up.

Comment

Working...
                                X