Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OHIO STATE ( 2013 summer talk , The Great & Powerfull Coach OZ. )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHIO STATE ( 2013 summer talk , The Great & Powerfull Coach OZ. )

Looks like it's time to start a new summer chit chat thread since the regular season is done. Post info of Coach & future players.

Old thread CLOSED. http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...r-in-Oz/page51
    Last edited by THE OHIO STATE; 03-25-2013, 07:41 AM.
    " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Re: OHIO STATE ( 2013 summer talk , The Great & Powerfull Coach OZ. )

I think a good place to start with an offseason thread would be expectations for next season. I have been pretty forthcoming with my expectations for next season ... winning record and NCAA Tournament appearance. Anything less than that would constitute a step backward, IMHO. The Buckeyes took a step in the right direction this season. Despite the losing record (16-17-7), they did manage to finish 4th in the league and earn a first-round bye, along with home ice in the second round. They backed up that 4th place finish by winning the series vs Ferris State and getting to the Joe. Those things are all nice accomplishments. Now, in The Great & Powerful Oz's 4th season, they need to continue to move forward by posting a winning record and getting to the NCAA Tournament. Anything less than that = underachievement. I am really looking forward to next season!

Comment

Is there any place to find out how many years Coach OZ signed contract was for? I guess maybe 4 years to start with & then re-sign short or long term contract from there on out.

Will Goalie Collin Olson step right up to be the #1 Goalie or will the new Goalie recruits give him a run at the spot?

It will be a BIG off season for the Buckeyes.
      Last edited by THE OHIO STATE; 03-25-2013, 04:33 PM.
      " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

I could not find any information on Coach Oz's contract length. Normally, I think new coaches get a five-year deal. I think Oz or any coach OSU would have brought here in 2010 needed to be given five years to dig out of the hole that had been created. If we continue to move forward, I think he should get an extension to keep building the program. If we start going backwards, then the athletic department will have a decision to make. There's no such thing as being stagnant in college athletics, your program is either going forward or going in the other direction. As long as the program is going forward, I say keep Oz here as long as he wants to be here.

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
          Is there any place to find out how many years Coach OZ signed contract was for? I guess maybe 4 years to start with & then re-sign short or long term contract from there on out.

Will Goalie Collin Olson step right up to be the #1 Goalie or will the new Goalie recruits give him a run at the spot?

It will be a BIG off season for the Buckeyes.
          I don't think a frosh will come in and be super competitive with Colin. Remember Brady wasn't his stellar self last year when he came in at times for Heeter. Exter is an EXCELLENT goaltender coach but it takes time to develop and really refine their game. Don't forget the early season goaltender rotation so they could get Colin all the actual game time they dared give him to accelerate his development towards next season.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hockeybuckeye;568829 Exter is an EXCELLENT goaltender coach but it takes time to develop and really refine their game. [/QUOTE]

I hear ya that Goalie Coach Joe Exter is a good one.
            " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

There has been some talk on the closed thread about Osiecki having to work with Markell's choices. This is Osiecki's team and it has been his team since he took over in 2010. Since his arrival three years ago he has released 10 players from the existing rosters. He chose to keep the remainder of the players.
              As for the recruiting by Markell, Lammers and Jones..Osiecki did not live with their choices. Once Osiecki arrived at OSU at least five of Markell's recruited players slated to come in 2011 and 2012 were dropped from the recruitment list.
              The remaining players on that list included Cristofoli, Dzingel, Fritz and McCormick. Osiecki chose to keep them on the recruitment list for OSU and they've done well for him and the team.The roster is Osiecki's and people have to stop making excuses and relying on the "let's blame Markell's players" theme.
              Osiecki also has to stop leaning on his standby line of "it's a young team". All schools transition at one time or another with a younger roster and they perform well.
              As for Osiecki turning this team around in another several years, I don't believe it will happen. You're fooling yourselves if you think he'll be here in another few years. He has been busy padding his resume since his arrival at OSU.
              Don't kid yourself, he has his sights on bigger and better things for himself in the near future. OSU is only a stepping stone, and if the opportunity presents itself, he will be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
                Once Osiecki arrived at OSU at least five of Markell's recruited players slated to come in 2011 and 2012 were dropped from the recruitment list.
                The remaining players on that list included Cristofoli, Dzingel, Fritz and McCormick. Osiecki chose to keep them on the recruitment list for OSU and they've done well for him and the team.The roster is Osiecki's and people have to stop making excuses and relying on the "let's blame Markell's players" theme.
                Osiecki also has to stop leaning on his standby line of "it's a young team". All schools transition at one time or another with a younger roster and they perform well.
                As for Osiecki turning this team around in another several years, I don't believe it will happen. You're fooling yourselves if you think he'll be here in another few years. He has been busy padding his resume since his arrival at OSU.
                Don't kid yourself, he has his sights on bigger and better things for himself in the near future. OSU is only a stepping stone, and if the opportunity presents itself, he will be gone.
                I dont see why this is so hard. This isnt making excuses, it is simply correcting factually incorrect statements - and it isnt like it is difficult to look it up.

Yes, some of the commitments from the Markell era were not accepted (Dominick Shine anyone?), but it remains a fact - as in not up for debate - that the entire senior class next year was recruited for, and signed by, Markell. Oz took over in Spring of 10 - signing date for the senior class was late 2009, before he took the job. That doesn't mean Gedig, et. al. are bad players - in many cases they are not. They just weren't recruited by Oz. The same can be said for some, not all, of the junior class as you mention above. Guys like Fritz and Dzingel were Markell recruits that Oz honored. On the other hand, McCormick was actually the very first verbal commitment that Oz got after taking the job, so he is all on him.

Regardless, next year will be the first that the vast majority of players are hand picked and will have worked only with Oz. I expect improvement, in my mind it will really be the first time it is "his" team.

As for Oz viewing this as a stepping stone? I dont really care and dont blame him. If Ohio State wants to turn this into a destination program rather than a stepping stone program, they have the resources to do it. If not, we will be to college hockey what Xavier is to college basketball. If that is the case, I hope that the guy that replaces Oz continues what I see Oz building right now.

It must seem odd to him to see a guy that came after him coaching Green Bay in the USHL now an NHL head coach...

Oh - and I just saw a tweet that Chris Crane signed with the Sharks.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Buck View Post
                  As for Oz viewing this as a stepping stone? I dont really care and dont blame him. If Ohio State wants to turn this into a destination program rather than a stepping stone program, they have the resources to do it. If not, we will be to college hockey what Xavier is to college basketball. If that is the case, I hope that the guy that replaces Oz continues what I see Oz building right now.
                  Completely agree with this paragraph. If Gene Smith wants this to quit being a stepping stone program, he needs to get off his butt and get a hockey-only facility built. If he doesn't do so, then this will continue to be a stepping stone program. Unfortunately, it has become fairly obvious that Oz is using this as a stepping stone program with all the missed games due to World Juniors. If you're a college hockey coach and you're trying to build your program up, you don't leave games to be coached by assistants to pad your resume with National Team coaching stints. Maybe I am off, but I haven't seen any benefit for OSU from Oz coaching National Juniors.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                    Completely agree with this paragraph. If Gene Smith wants this to quit being a stepping stone program, he needs to get off his butt and get a hockey-only facility built. If he doesn't do so, then this will continue to be a stepping stone program. Unfortunately, it has become fairly obvious that Oz is using this as a stepping stone program with all the missed games due to World Juniors. If you're a college hockey coach and you're trying to build your program up, you don't leave games to be coached by assistants to pad your resume with National Team coaching stints. Maybe I am off, but I haven't seen any benefit for OSU from Oz coaching National Juniors.
                    that may well be his motivation, I dont believe it to be, but I could be wrong.

the flip side is that successful coaches at big time programs continue to do the same thing he has done...lucia, eaves, jackson, blais...they can't all be out for themselves program jumpers looking for the next better job...there has to be something else at work here.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Buck View Post
                      that may well be his motivation, I dont believe it to be, but I could be wrong.

the flip side is that successful coaches at big time programs continue to do the same thing he has done...lucia, eaves, jackson, blais...they can't all be out for themselves program jumpers looking for the next better job...there has to be something else at work here.
                      I certainly hope you are correct because I would like to see Oz stay here and finish what he has started. Dave Starman (think that is his name) of CBS Sports has said on more than one occasion on twitter that Oz is a great coach and he is surprised that some AHL or NHL team has not snatched him up. I would like to see him accomplish things here before he bolts for greener pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
                        There has been some talk on the closed thread about Osiecki having to work with Markell's choices. This is Osiecki's team and it has been his team since he took over in 2010. Since his arrival three years ago he has released 10 players from the existing rosters. He chose to keep the remainder of the players.
                        As for the recruiting by Markell, Lammers and Jones..Osiecki did not live with their choices. Once Osiecki arrived at OSU at least five of Markell's recruited players slated to come in 2011 and 2012 were dropped from the recruitment list.
                        I hear ya. I also thought that Coach OZ was in this as a quick Coaching fix. Word on the street is that he's a very COLD person to some of his players. There has been some recruits that have backed out of there verbal to play at OSU because of him. A Coach needs to treat all his players with repect , just like all players need to respect the Coach. Both of the Assistant Coaches were well repected by most players.
                        Last edited by THE OHIO STATE; 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM.
                        " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

I think even though some of you make for some persuasive argument I think I can only consider it assumption and speculation at this point and only time will tell who called it right. By the way TOS, Markell was not liked or respected by most of his players and was distant to them but they loved his assistants.
                          Oz comes across to me as his way or the highway. There are some things he does different than Markell that I don't care for but I'm not at this point going to say he's not the right man for the job here.
                          How well the large group of juniors we'll have next season plays and our level of incoming talent will speak the most to me on if we're on track for reasonable expectations.
                          I'm already dying to know next seasons schedule!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            I think even though some of you make for some persuasive argument I think I can only consider it assumption and speculation at this point and only time will tell who called it right. By the way TOS, Markell was not liked or respected by most of his players and was distant to them but they loved his assistants.
                            Oz comes across to me as his way or the highway. There are some things he does different than Markell that I don't care for but I'm not at this point going to say he's not the right man for the job here.
                            How well the large group of juniors we'll have next season plays and our level of incoming talent will speak the most to me on if we're on track for reasonable expectations.
                            I'm already dying to know next seasons schedule!
                            You make some good points. I'm sure Coach OZ will be stuck here at the D-1 level if he doesn't get any higher offers in the near future. This may be his top level of Coaching. Who knows as time will tell.
                            " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Looks like Coach OZ lost a returning player Senior to be Chris Cranes to the NHL one year early. THUMBS UP to Chris Crane & Good luck,

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475890
                              " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Working...
                              X