Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Early but there is so much to look forward to for next season.
    • This team that went on this run is coming back
    • Super Steve has a lot of confidence
    • One of the best recruiting classes in years
    • A conference where they should be in the top 2 in next season

Should be a blast next year. But something to note is the amount of non-conference games there will be. There are only 20 regular season conference games.

Confirmed games (dated ones per the official USCHO 2013-14 schedules spreadsheet)

10/12 at RIT (at Blue Cross Arena)
    11/1-11/2 vs Michigan Tech
    12/27 vs. Denver (GLI at Comerica Park)
    12/28 vs. State/Tech (GLI at Comerica Park)

And they play every conference team 4 times. state series will be Road-Home, Road-JLA with Michigan having home team designation.
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

I heard each series against Ohio state will be Friday in AA and Monday in Columbus

Comment

not really a "series" in the classic sense when you take TWO days off between games
      if what you say is true.....

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
        I heard each series against Ohio state will be Friday in AA and Monday in Columbus
        Uh....why?

Oh no. Please don't tell me that all the games will be in ***-backwards days because of the lack of college hockey knowledge by Delany....
        ---
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

I for one sincerely hope y'all come out to BG for a game at least next season. It's always a fun house when big Blue comes down, sucks for you guys to not make the tourney this season. Toledo is basically Ann Arbor South
          NCAA Champions: 1984

NCAA Tourney: 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1984, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990

CCHA Champions: 1976, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
            Uh....why?

Oh no. Please don't tell me that all the games will be in ***-backwards days because of the lack of college hockey knowledge by Delany....
            Tv is the reason i was told

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
              Tv is the reason i was told
              Yes, this was talked about some months ago. They will put the hockey games whatever night the network needs content. That's why I call it the Big Ten Network League rather than the Big Ten Conference now. It's no longer a conference of schools; the network is running the show.

I enjoy the traditional Friday-Saturday college hockey routine. You always know when your team is playing. I've always thought that this is part of football's popularity, too: a manageable number of games in a dependable weekend routine, college football on Saturdays or the NFL on Sundays (generally). I love the Red Wings, but they play too many games with no pattern to when they're playing.

Looks like another thing in college hockey that is about to be destroyed. Don't think that this won't happen in other "conferences" too, with NBC and Fox looking for more programming for their cable networks.

Comment

Originally posted by 13cupsandcounting View Post
                I for one sincerely hope y'all come out to BG for a game at least next season. It's always a fun house when big Blue comes down, sucks for you guys to not make the tourney this season. Toledo is basically Ann Arbor South
                I hope so, too. Since we've signed an agreement with Tech, I hope we can continue the close historic opponents we've had for a long time. Especially when it's an easy home-home in a given weekend. State, BG, Western.

(I'm not all that interested in seeing a game on Monday, just to help the TV out. I will voice that when buying season tickets)

Comment

Odds on eligible players leaving:

Merrill (Sr) 2:1 (New Jersey)

Trouba (So) 3:1(Winnipeg)

Guptill (Jr) 4:1 (Dallas)

PDG (Jr) 6:1

Rutledge (So) even money

Clare (injury)

Wolverines are loading up recruits for the blue line just in case. Spencer Hyman will be coming in this season along with Downing.

Seniors most missed from 2012-13: 1. KLynch 2. AJ Treais 3. Lee Moffie 4. Jeff Rohrkemper 5. Lindsay Sparks

It will be interesting who the coaches recruit in net for 2014-15. Can't say if they'll bring someone else in for next season.

Mac Bennett (Sr.) Merrill (Sr.) DeBlois (Sr.) Clare (Sr.) (If he returns from injury) Janecyk (Sr.) Luke Moffatt (Sr.)- so who will wear the C?

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post

This one will be interesting to see. It's hard not to see how talented of a scorer he is, and how brilliant of a passer he is *most* of the time.

And he's pretty good 1:1 in the corner.

But right now, he's got a pretty glaring problem covering a moving 1:1 target. Sometimes he gets them with what's supposed to be a hard hit, and sometimes he whiffs which leads to a great scoring chance (as we saw twice vs miami and nd).

So what will Winnipeg see?

(FWIW, I'm sure he knows that, and seems to be really working hard to fix it)

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      This one will be interesting to see. It's hard not to see how talented of a scorer he is, and how brilliant of a passer he is *most* of time.

And he's pretty good 1:1 in the corner.

But right now, he's got a pretty glaring problem covering a moving 1:1 target. Sometimes he gets them with what's supposed to be a hard hit, and sometimes he whiffs which leads to a great scoring chance (as we saw twice vs miami and nd).

So what will Winnipeg see?

(FWIW, I'm sure he knows that, and seems to be really working hard to fix it)
                      Trouba said he was gonna play 2 in college.

At this point, Merrill is a Jr. Why not play one more year and get your degree just in case pro hockey doesn't work out?

Taylor Lewan needs to have a talk with these guys
                      ---
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        I hope so, too. Since we've signed an agreement with Tech, I hope we can continue the close historic opponents we've had for a long time. Especially when it's an easy home-home in a given weekend. State, BG, Western.

(I'm not all that interested in seeing a game on Monday, just to help the TV out. I will voice that when buying season tickets)
                        It would be nice to get some of our nearby old conference mates into the OOC schedule. BG, Ferris, Western. Personally, I hope we travel more for non-conference games. I've still got a goal of seeing a game in every D1 rink, and it's more fun for me if Michigan is playing in that game (I know they won't play every rink, but more of them would be nice).

As for the potential of week night games...I may decide on tickets based on that. I love spending my weekend at Yost, there is nowhere else I'd rather be, but I hate that tv will dictate schedule. And I said "will" not "may" because it already has..just look at the 6:30 Friday night games where fans couldn't show up on time.

Merrill (Sr) 2:1 (New Jersey)

Guptill (Jr) 4:1 (Dallas)

PDG (Jr) 6:1

Rutledge (So) even money

Clare (injury)

Wolverines are loading up recruits for the blue line just in case. Spencer Hyman will be coming in this season along with Downing.

Seniors most missed from 2012-13: 1. KLynch 2. AJ Treais 3. Lee Moffie 4. Jeff Rohrkemper 5. Lindsay Sparks

It will be interesting who the coaches recruit in net for 2014-15. Can't say if they'll bring someone else in for next season.

Mac Bennett (Sr.) Merrill (Sr.) DeBlois (Sr.) Clare (Sr.) (If he returns from injury) Janecyk (Sr.) Luke Moffatt (Sr.)- so who will wear the C?
                        I think Bennett gets the C. He had an A this year. Who gets the A's?

For earlier departures:
                        Merrill - I think he stays. 2 half seasons hurt him. That he stuck it out his sophomore year makes me think he'll come back for his senior year.

Trouba - I won't be surprised if he goes. I don't know if college hockey is good competition for him. Maybe the B1G will be enough challenge/reason to stay.

Guptill and PDG - I hadn't thought of either of these names as potential for leaving early. But now that you've mentioned them, yeah, probably Guppy and possibly Phil. I suppose any time a good player is a healthy scratch, or left at home on a trip it might show their dedication is elsewhere. PDG is a solid player but I don't think he's ready for the NHL, not that that has stopped guys from leaving before.

Rutledge - ? With all the goalie rotation and struggles who knows. We thought he'd be #1, but Racine earned it at the end of the season, and should be our #1 next year. It's gotta be tough to come in thinking you'll be the starter or at least a starter and ride the bench most of the year.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          I think Bennett gets the C.
                          Agreed.

Who gets the A's?
                          Could Copp be the first three year Captain since Halko? (Halko was an Alternate Captain as a sophomore, Captain his junior and senior years.) Merrill if he stays, Moffatt if Merrill leaves.
                          Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Rutledge - ? With all the goalie rotation and struggles who knows. We thought he'd be #1, but Racine earned it at the end of the season, and should be our #1 next year. It's gotta be tough to come in thinking you'll be the starter or at least a starter and ride the bench most of the year.
                            I don't know if you videoed the game yesterday, but Red made a comment in the first intermission that caught my attention. He said that Racine was actually his #1 pre-season goaltender in his mind because he was older (he's 21) and that it's always hard for a 18 year old like Rutledge to step in and perform.

As far as the C & A's- yes, it would be Bennett and I wouldn't be surprised if Copp wore one, but it may not be next year.

I think lessons learned this season was, don't wait until February to decide to unite the team. I'm sure that the seniors are all looking back in hindsight today. Keep in mind that some of the most talented players could also have been the most disruptive. I think this will go a long way in deciding who is wearing the leadership next Fall.

Comment

I don't know if you videoed the game yesterday, but Red made a comment in the first intermission that caught my attention. He said that Racine was actually his #1 pre-season goaltender in his mind because he was older (he's 21) and that it's always hard for a 18 year old like Rutledge to step in and perform.
                              I was too depressed to watch it. Interesting comment considering the 17 year old goalies that came in as starters not all that long ago (Sauer and Montoya).

As far as the C & A's- yes, it would be Bennett and I wouldn't be surprised if Copp wore one, but it may not be next year.
                              I wouldn't be surprised if Copp got one. I think maybe Deblois. Merrill maybe, I don't know the details of his soph. year (and don't want to), and since he has moved on, maybe he is ready to be a leader on this team.

I think lessons learned this season was, don't wait until February to decide to unite the team. I'm sure that the seniors are all looking back in hindsight today. Keep in mind that some of the most talented players could also have been the most disruptive. I think this will go a long way in deciding who is wearing the leadership next Fall.
                              If any of the guys returning were helpful in getting the team to be a team, they should get one of the A's. Agreed that it can be talented players that are corruptive. I remember loving to watch JMFJ play, but having heard his attitude was disruptive to team chemistry.
                              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                              7 B1G
                              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                              2 Alaskan

Comment

Working...
                              X