An appreciation of CCHA commissioner Fred Pletsch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An appreciation of CCHA commissioner Fred Pletsch

Tomorrow is the last CCHA game ever. And, since the CCHA will cease to exist, it also marks the conclusion of the tenure of Fred Pletsch as commissioner.

His work for the CCHA has never been limited to the two years he sat in the commissioner's chair, though. For many years he was the "communications director" of the conference. In these jobs he has worn many hats; the CCHA as an organization is, after all, not a bureaucratic monstrosity but a small operation with a limited scope. Pletsch, in the course of his duties, not only had to coordinate all media, but also work as a play-by-play announcer, color commentator, and even occasionally a sideline reporter.

It can be argued whether the CCHA was well-managed or whether its "communications" were as good as they could be. But for many years Pletsch labored in our small corner of the world and done it without complaint. Let's face it, the CCHA isn't even a big dog conference in the tiny, niche world of college hockey conferences that occupies a minor segment of the larger niche-sport of hockey. And he wasn't just doing it to get the next big promotion; he CCHA was not a brief waypoint for him, but a significant station of his life.

He appeared to take his job seriously, and on the one occasion I met him he was friendly and willing to spend several minutes addressing a not-so-complimentary question that I posed to him about his tv commentary regarding officiating. Here is someone that takes our small sport as seriously as those of us crazy enough to follow it intensely. It's not a job that gets much appreciation, but he has continued to plug away on behalf of the conference and the sport nonetheless.

So, as someone who has attended CCHA tournaments, watched many broadcasts from all over the country, and enjoyed the hockey over his tenure, I would like to say to Fred Pletsch (and anyone else who has spent significant time on the staff of the CCHA):

Thank you. May your memories be fond and your future be prosperous.
    Jesus Saves

Re: An appreciation of CCHA commissioner Fred Pletsch

Sad to see the end of the CCHA

Comment

Re: An appreciation of CCHA commissioner Fred Pletsch

I'll third the complements for Fred Pletsch. It was always great to listen to him announce the games for the Cornwall Aces, and to see him continue in the hockey world and advance is a great story for anyone else trying to make it to the next level. He's also been a great guy to talk to.

Comment

Working...
      X