PDA

View Full Version : Brown Hockey 2012-2013 : Climbing the ECAC Ladder, Part II

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

FlagDUDE08
03-26-2013, 03:10 PM
The Marriott Courtyard is in the same plaza as Ri Ra; perhaps you should look into that. I don't know what their rates are like, but it's just two blocks from the Dunk and is essentially in the middle of downtown. The Hilton is a little further away from that area. I don't know what your budget is like, but the Westin is connected to the Dunk via the RI Convention Center, and the Biltmore is just a couple blocks away. Those are two of the more expensive places in the area.

I'm not sure what it'll be like this weekend, but before PC basketball games, every bar in the downtown area is PACKED and it's really fun. I'd recommend Trinity Brewhouse or the Union Station Brewery as good places to go for really good food. Bar Louie, right next to Ri Ra, is also great, but the service can be a little slow. These places are all incredibly crowded on Friars' gameday, but they should be considerably less so for this weekend, as the teams all play at different times.

If you have some down time, head up College Hill and check out Brown's campus! :) It's beautiful, and there are some good hole-in-the-wall eateries on Thayer Street if you're looking for a quick bite to eat. Loui's Family Restaurant on Brook Street is where all the Brown students go for breakfast food if that interests you. It's one of the best diners in the area, but it closes at 3:00 p.m.

Have fun! We'll be pulling for you guys.

I seem to remember the Holiday Inn is also pretty close to the Westin, yes? At least from what I remember of the two times I had to go to Providence for choral festivals...

MarkEagleUSA
03-26-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm tentatively booked at the Hilton which is right across the street from the Dunk. Rate wasn't that bad (of course I used my AARP discount) considering it's right there. I can walk to the games. We have some other options in the works but the Hilton makes more and more sense to me due to the convenience factor.

Mike Hutter
03-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Reading Mike Rubin's piece about the season got me thinking about memorable moments. Perhaps it is the recency thing, but two plays stand out in my mind. First is Hathaway's goal against Q when he got his way with with the Q defender and the second is Goldberg's sliding block on a Union breakaway. Both spectacular plays. Jake's especially as it was the epitome of Bruno's defense the last half of the season. Anyone else have memorable moments?

kdiff77
03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Reading Mike Rubin's piece about the season got me thinking about memorable moments. Perhaps it is the recency thing, but two plays stand out in my mind. First is Hathaway's goal against Q when he got his way with with the Q defender and the second is Goldberg's sliding block on a Union breakaway. Both spectacular plays. Jake's especially as it was the epitome of Bruno's defense the last half of the season. Anyone else have memorable moments?

Massimo Lamacchia's tip-in goal to tie the game against Union late in the third period. That was phenomenal. Obviously the furious rally in Hamden to force a tie with #1 in the country. Borelli's shutout at Lynah, as well as his 44-save shutout against Yale. The 4-goal second period against Harvard was also incredibly fun. I've rarely seen a Brown team dominate play so much as we did in that period (shots were 23-8).

It was a fantastic season. I'll have a blog post up later with some photos from AC.

DarthBruno
03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
... Goldberg's sliding block on a Union breakaway.

That was my biggest WOW moment last weekend. Goldberg raced end-to-end with an almost unbelievable burst of speed, then robbed the Q skater of a goal with that fierce diving slide. Almost couldn't believe my eyes. That was great hockey and showed the kind of hustle we need to keep winning.

- Darth

DarthBruno
03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
...then robbed the Q skater

Of course I meant Union.

UnionHockeyManiac
03-27-2013, 02:02 PM
The Marriott Courtyard is in the same plaza as Ri Ra; perhaps you should look into that. I don't know what their rates are like, but it's just two blocks from the Dunk and is essentially in the middle of downtown. The Hilton is a little further away from that area. I don't know what your budget is like, but the Westin is connected to the Dunk via the RI Convention Center, and the Biltmore is just a couple blocks away. Those are two of the more expensive places in the area.

I'm not sure what it'll be like this weekend, but before PC basketball games, every bar in the downtown area is PACKED and it's really fun. I'd recommend Trinity Brewhouse or the Union Station Brewery as good places to go for really good food. Bar Louie, right next to Ri Ra, is also great, but the service can be a little slow. These places are all incredibly crowded on Friars' gameday, but they should be considerably less so for this weekend, as the teams all play at different times.

If you have some down time, head up College Hill and check out Brown's campus! :) It's beautiful, and there are some good hole-in-the-wall eateries on Thayer Street if you're looking for a quick bite to eat. Loui's Family Restaurant on Brook Street is where all the Brown students go for breakfast food if that interests you. It's one of the best diners in the area, but it closes at 3:00 p.m.

Have fun! We'll be pulling for you guys.

Very much appreciated. That Westin you speak of is now an Omni and that's where I'm leaning towards staying. I think I can get it for around $125 + tax with my AAA membership. Priceline also has some intriguing deals with the "Express Bidding" section, but I want to make sure I end up within a few blocks of the rink so I decided it's worth it to spend a few extra dollars to guarantee that. I think I'll pass on the Biltmore because it's haunted, right??

I'm probably getting in early afternoon on Saturday so I'll definitely check out Brown and the surrounding area if I have the time. I actually have a cousin who goes to school there. I just want to make sure I make it to Ri Ra by 7:00 when the Union pre-game starts. Maybe I'll check out Bar Louie, but I think that's where Quinnipiac is doing their pre-game.

Thanks again. (And thanks for your support this weekend! We'll need it!)

Edit: I just booked my hotel at the Providence Biltmore through Priceline's Express Deal...only $73 + tax. It's right in between the arena and the Union pre-game spot.

kdiff77
03-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Very much appreciated. That Westin you speak of is now an Omni and that's where I'm leaning towards staying. I think I can get it for around $125 + tax with my AAA membership. Priceline also has some intriguing deals with the "Express Bidding" section, but I want to make sure I end up within a few blocks of the rink so I decided it's worth it to spend a few extra dollars to guarantee that. I think I'll pass on the Biltmore because it's haunted, right??

I'm probably getting in early afternoon on Saturday so I'll definitely check out Brown and the surrounding area if I have the time. I actually have a cousin who goes to school there. I just want to make sure I make it to Ri Ra by 7:00 when the Union pre-game starts. Maybe I'll check out Bar Louie, but I think that's where Quinnipiac is doing their pre-game.

Thanks again. (And thanks for your support this weekend! We'll need it!)

Edit: I just booked my hotel at the Providence Biltmore through Priceline's Express Deal...only $73 + tax. It's right in between the arena and the Union pre-game spot.

Great deal! I've always wanted to take the glass elevator at the Biltmore. Hopefully I'm near the Union section at the game. Should be a fun weekend of hockey.

UnionHockeyManiac
03-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Great deal! I've always wanted to take the glass elevator at the Biltmore. Hopefully I'm near the Union section at the game. Should be a fun weekend of hockey.

Union has sections 104, 105, and 106. I think I'll be in 106.

kdiff77
03-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Union has sections 104, 105, and 106. I think I'll be in 106.

What do you know? I believe that's where my seats are as well!

DarthBruno
03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Apologies if this has already been shared; first time I've seen it:

Brown skaters to play BC, UNH, Denver, Colorado College next seasonMarch 28, 2013 2:08 pm
By Mark Divver

Brown's tentative hockey schedule for next season is a challenging one. The non-conference slate includes a home game vs. Boston College, and road games at New Hampshire, Colorado College and Denver.

The home opener is Friday, Nov. 1 at 7 p.m. against Clarkson.

Tentative 2013-14 schedule:

October
25 Friday v Yale 4:00pm
Liberty Hockey Invitational - Prudential Center, Newark, NJ
26 Saturday v Dartmouth or Princeton 4:00pm/7:00pm
Liberty Hockey Invitational - Prudential Center, Newark, NJ

November
1 Friday CLARKSON 7:00pm
2 Saturday SAINT LAWRENCE 7:00pm
8 Friday at Quinnipiac 7:00pm
9 Saturday at Princeton 7:00pm
12 Tuesday at New Hampshire 7:00pm
22 Friday at Cornell 7:00pm
23 Saturday at Colgate 7:00pm
30 Saturday at Providence College 7:00pm

December
6 Friday HARVARD 7:00pm
7 Saturday DARTMOUTH 7:00pm

January
3 Friday at Denver 7:00pm
4 Saturday at CC 7:00pm
11 Saturday BOSTON COLLEGE 7:00pm
17 Friday at Saint Lawrence 7:00pm
18 Saturday at Clarkson 7:00pm
24 Friday YALE 7:00pm
25 Saturday at Yale 7:00pm
31 Friday COLGATE 7:00pm

February
1 Saturday CORNELL 7:00pm
7 Friday at Union 7:00pm
8 Saturday at RPI 7:00pm
14 Friday PRINCETON 7:00pm
15 Saturday QUINNIPIAC 7:00pm
21 Friday at Dartmouth 7:00pm
22 Saturday at Harvard 7:00pm
28 Friday RPI 7:00pm

March
1 Saturday UNION 7:00pm
7-9 Fri-Sun ECAC 1st Round at Campus Sites 7:00pm
14-16 Fri-Sun ECAC Quarterfinal Round at Campus Sites 7:00pm
21-22 Fri-Sat ECAC Championships - Lake Placid, NY
28-30 Fri-Sun NCAA Regional's

April
TBA Thurs-Sat NCAA Frozen Four

FlagDUDE08
03-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Darth; I've simulcasted to the schedules thread.

DarthBruno
03-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks, Darth; I've simulcasted to the schedules thread.

Great; thanks.

Source: Providence Journal (Reporter Mark Divver is fantastic about covering local hockey and is a Brown fan.)

FlagDUDE08
03-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Great; thanks.

Source: Providence Journal (Reporter Mark Divver is fantastic about covering local hockey and is a Brown fan.)

Very cool. Does the reporter know anything further about PC's schedule, or does he only cover Brown?

Mike Hutter
03-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Just looked at Heisenberg's Recruit List. With a commitment on March 19th from a goalie, Brown has 3 goalie commitments. But two are for 2014. That leaves Marco, Joe Mello, and the 2013 recruit Steel for the upcoming season. Is Brown still looking for a goalie for the 2013 season?

Brunofan
03-28-2013, 09:19 PM
if you haven't seen this, it is very well done and entertaining. Interesting reference to Brown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flpVa3a2fhQ&feature=youtu.be

kdiff77
03-28-2013, 09:55 PM
if you haven't seen this, it is very well done and entertaining. Interesting reference to Brown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flpVa3a2fhQ&feature=youtu.be

We're better than Canisius? You don't say!

DarthBruno
03-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Very cool. Does the reporter know anything further about PC's schedule, or does he only cover Brown?

Divver covers all RI college hockey and I think the P-Bruins too. KDiff would know better than I.

- Darth

DarthBruno
03-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Any Brown fans going to the NCAAs in Providence this weekend?

I'd like to see the BC game(s), mostly because I want a chance to see Johnny Hockey play live, but that Saturday game starts so late and it's the night before Easter. :confused: Put me down as a "maybe".

- Darth

Mike Hutter
03-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Any Brown fans going to the NCAAs in Providence this weekend?

I'd like to see the BC game(s), mostly because I want a chance to see Johnny Hockey play live, but that Saturday game starts so late and it's the night before Easter. :confused: Put me down as a "maybe".

Tough weekend and times for an out-of-towner to attend. I will save my $ for the Liberty Invitational and Lake Placid.