Brown Hockey 2012-2013 : Climbing the ECAC Ladder, Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013 : Climbing the ECAC Ladder, Part II

Ken Schotts has the post-game interview with brendan in his column, linked below.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...game-postgame/

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
      Great season from Brown. Really gave Union all we could handle. I am confident that Brown will be a top team in the ECAC in the coming years. Really, really hoping Union ends up in your backyard of Providence. I'm ready to make all hotel/travel arrangements if that's the case (and I will likely be coming back here to ask you guys for advice on what to do while in town).
      Well, I'm heading to Providence for the first time this weekend. Our game is at 9:00 on Saturday so I will probably just arrive in the afternoon and then leave on Sunday afternoon or evening (depending on the result of our game against BC). Where would you all recommend staying? I'd like to stay near The Dunkin Donuts Center and near Ri Ra Pub, where Union is having a pre-game reception. I'm considering The Omni and The Hilton, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Know of any discount codes or promotions?

Thanks!
      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Well, I'm heading to Providence for the first time this weekend. Our game is at 9:00 on Saturday so I will probably just arrive in the afternoon and then leave on Sunday afternoon or evening (depending on the result of our game against BC). Where would you all recommend staying? I'd like to stay near The Dunkin Donuts Center and near Ri Ra Pub, where Union is having a pre-game reception. I'm considering The Omni and The Hilton, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Know of any discount codes or promotions?

Thanks!
        There's a hotel right next to the Dunk. It's a good one. Can't remember if it's a Holiday Inn or a Mariott though. I thought it's a Holiday Inn.
        Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Thanks!
          The Marriott Courtyard is in the same plaza as Ri Ra; perhaps you should look into that. I don't know what their rates are like, but it's just two blocks from the Dunk and is essentially in the middle of downtown. The Hilton is a little further away from that area. I don't know what your budget is like, but the Westin is connected to the Dunk via the RI Convention Center, and the Biltmore is just a couple blocks away. Those are two of the more expensive places in the area.

I'm not sure what it'll be like this weekend, but before PC basketball games, every bar in the downtown area is PACKED and it's really fun. I'd recommend Trinity Brewhouse or the Union Station Brewery as good places to go for really good food. Bar Louie, right next to Ri Ra, is also great, but the service can be a little slow. These places are all incredibly crowded on Friars' gameday, but they should be considerably less so for this weekend, as the teams all play at different times.

If you have some down time, head up College Hill and check out Brown's campus! It's beautiful, and there are some good hole-in-the-wall eateries on Thayer Street if you're looking for a quick bite to eat. Loui's Family Restaurant on Brook Street is where all the Brown students go for breakfast food if that interests you. It's one of the best diners in the area, but it closes at 3:00 p.m.

Have fun! We'll be pulling for you guys.

Comment

One more thing: the best view in the city can be found at Prospect Park, which is close to the Brown campus. It's something to check out if you like scenery. The sun setting over the city always looks amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
              The Marriott Courtyard is in the same plaza as Ri Ra; perhaps you should look into that. I don't know what their rates are like, but it's just two blocks from the Dunk and is essentially in the middle of downtown. The Hilton is a little further away from that area. I don't know what your budget is like, but the Westin is connected to the Dunk via the RI Convention Center, and the Biltmore is just a couple blocks away. Those are two of the more expensive places in the area.

I'm not sure what it'll be like this weekend, but before PC basketball games, every bar in the downtown area is PACKED and it's really fun. I'd recommend Trinity Brewhouse or the Union Station Brewery as good places to go for really good food. Bar Louie, right next to Ri Ra, is also great, but the service can be a little slow. These places are all incredibly crowded on Friars' gameday, but they should be considerably less so for this weekend, as the teams all play at different times.

If you have some down time, head up College Hill and check out Brown's campus! It's beautiful, and there are some good hole-in-the-wall eateries on Thayer Street if you're looking for a quick bite to eat. Loui's Family Restaurant on Brook Street is where all the Brown students go for breakfast food if that interests you. It's one of the best diners in the area, but it closes at 3:00 p.m.

I seem to remember the Holiday Inn is also pretty close to the Westin, yes? At least from what I remember of the two times I had to go to Providence for choral festivals...

Comment

I'm tentatively booked at the Hilton which is right across the street from the Dunk. Rate wasn't that bad (of course I used my AARP discount) considering it's right there. I can walk to the games. We have some other options in the works but the Hilton makes more and more sense to me due to the convenience factor.
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                Northeast Regional:
                West Regional: 2015, 2021
                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Reading Mike Rubin's piece about the season got me thinking about memorable moments. Perhaps it is the recency thing, but two plays stand out in my mind. First is Hathaway's goal against Q when he got his way with with the Q defender and the second is Goldberg's sliding block on a Union breakaway. Both spectacular plays. Jake's especially as it was the epitome of Bruno's defense the last half of the season. Anyone else have memorable moments?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                    Reading Mike Rubin's piece about the season got me thinking about memorable moments. Perhaps it is the recency thing, but two plays stand out in my mind. First is Hathaway's goal against Q when he got his way with with the Q defender and the second is Goldberg's sliding block on a Union breakaway. Both spectacular plays. Jake's especially as it was the epitome of Bruno's defense the last half of the season. Anyone else have memorable moments?
                    Massimo Lamacchia's tip-in goal to tie the game against Union late in the third period. That was phenomenal. Obviously the furious rally in Hamden to force a tie with #1 in the country. Borelli's shutout at Lynah, as well as his 44-save shutout against Yale. The 4-goal second period against Harvard was also incredibly fun. I've rarely seen a Brown team dominate play so much as we did in that period (shots were 23-8).

It was a fantastic season. I'll have a blog post up later with some photos from AC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                      ... Goldberg's sliding block on a Union breakaway.
                      That was my biggest WOW moment last weekend. Goldberg raced end-to-end with an almost unbelievable burst of speed, then robbed the Q skater of a goal with that fierce diving slide. Almost couldn't believe my eyes. That was great hockey and showed the kind of hustle we need to keep winning.

- Darth

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                        ...then robbed the Q skater
                        Of course I meant Union.

Comment

Very much appreciated. That Westin you speak of is now an Omni and that's where I'm leaning towards staying. I think I can get it for around $125 + tax with my AAA membership. Priceline also has some intriguing deals with the "Express Bidding" section, but I want to make sure I end up within a few blocks of the rink so I decided it's worth it to spend a few extra dollars to guarantee that. I think I'll pass on the Biltmore because it's haunted, right??

I'm probably getting in early afternoon on Saturday so I'll definitely check out Brown and the surrounding area if I have the time. I actually have a cousin who goes to school there. I just want to make sure I make it to Ri Ra by 7:00 when the Union pre-game starts. Maybe I'll check out Bar Louie, but I think that's where Quinnipiac is doing their pre-game.

Thanks again. (And thanks for your support this weekend! We'll need it!)

Edit: I just booked my hotel at the Providence Biltmore through Priceline's Express Deal...only $73 + tax. It's right in between the arena and the Union pre-game spot.
                          Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Very much appreciated. That Westin you speak of is now an Omni and that's where I'm leaning towards staying. I think I can get it for around $125 + tax with my AAA membership. Priceline also has some intriguing deals with the "Express Bidding" section, but I want to make sure I end up within a few blocks of the rink so I decided it's worth it to spend a few extra dollars to guarantee that. I think I'll pass on the Biltmore because it's haunted, right??

I'm probably getting in early afternoon on Saturday so I'll definitely check out Brown and the surrounding area if I have the time. I actually have a cousin who goes to school there. I just want to make sure I make it to Ri Ra by 7:00 when the Union pre-game starts. Maybe I'll check out Bar Louie, but I think that's where Quinnipiac is doing their pre-game.

Thanks again. (And thanks for your support this weekend! We'll need it!)

Edit: I just booked my hotel at the Providence Biltmore through Priceline's Express Deal...only $73 + tax. It's right in between the arena and the Union pre-game spot.
                            Great deal! I've always wanted to take the glass elevator at the Biltmore. Hopefully I'm near the Union section at the game. Should be a fun weekend of hockey.

Comment

Great deal! I've always wanted to take the glass elevator at the Biltmore. Hopefully I'm near the Union section at the game. Should be a fun weekend of hockey.
                              Union has sections 104, 105, and 106. I think I'll be in 106.

Comment

Union has sections 104, 105, and 106. I think I'll be in 106.
                                What do you know? I believe that's where my seats are as well!

Comment

Working...
                                X