Humor or stupor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humor or stupor?

Some posters repeatedly belittle the ability and coaching of "their team's" opponents. Their attacks on opposing teams simultaneously belittle the efforts and accomplishments of their own favorite team's players and coaches.
    When confronted with the apparent self-mutilation in these posts their authors usually claim, "It was just a joke." Perhaps so, but it must be the only joke they know, for they repeat it to the exclusion of any other attempts at humor. Is this trash talk the product of feeble thinking, feeble humor, or both?

Re: Humor or stupor?

I had a really good tuna sandwich for lunch today
    #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      Is this trash talk the product of feeble thinking, feeble humor, or both?
      You seem to be the expert in both of these areas, what is your expert opinion?
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
        I love tuna sandwich unless it's made with mayo, gotta have the miracle whip and either onions or celery for some crunch (toasted bread of course). I had an egg salad sandwich and half of a grilled chicken salad for lunch with an orange Crush soda which was the cat's arse!
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Did you catch it yourself?

Comment

I was out of tuna, so I had some refried beans instead. I hope that doesn't belittle the ability and coaching of tuna.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

I ate some nachos.

Comment

It depends. For example jokes about gophers are always funny no matter how infantile or repetitive they may be.

You also have the situation here of this board having become a community with a relatively long history. (As internet communities go, or for that matter given the mobility of current society, long for any group of people who continuously socialize together goes.) Some repetitive things I see are humorous to the establishment simply because they have been around so long. They're funny if you're "in", if you will. If you are "out" it will make no sense and seem childish, of course. On the whole I'd say that is a very small issue in comparison to the types of afronts you are specifically referring to. After much study I have found those things can best be explained by a simple axiom I have developed over my time here on the boards and in my many years of dealing with college hockey fans in general. I don't know if it will be helpful to the frequenters of these boards but I am more than happy to share. It goes something like this: Gofer fans are jerks.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

No tuna in my lunch today.

*****https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8370/8572941016_6c5c3bb5c5_z.jpg******
                  Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                    I was out of tuna, so I had some refried beans instead. I hope that doesn't belittle the ability and coaching of tuna.
                    Well since you didn't include an emoticon it's kind of racist.

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    It depends. For example jokes about gophers are always funny no matter how infantile or repetitive they may be.

You also have the situation here of this board having become a community with a relatively long history. (As internet communities go, or for that matter given the mobility of current society, long for any group of people who continuously socialize together goes.) Some repetitive things I see are humorous to the establishment simply because they have been around so long. They're funny if you're "in", if you will. If you are "out" it will make no sense and seem childish, of course. On the whole I'd say that is a very small issue in comparison to the types of afronts you are specifically referring to. After much study I have found those things can best be explained by a simple axiom I have developed over my time here on the boards and in my many years of dealing with college hockey fans in general. I don't know if it will be helpful to the frequenters of these boards but I am more than happy to share. It goes something like this: Gofer fans are jerks.
                    Stay on topic, we are discussing lunch!
                    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Do you think it is redundant if you say "tuna fish" sandwich? I mean obviously it's a fish, right? There is no need to specify that
                      #OneKnight

Comment

Do you think it is redundant if you say "tuna fish" sandwich? I mean obviously it's a fish, right? There is no need to specify that
                        A tuna sammich always has fish in it.
                        "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Isn't it also a city in North Africa?

Comment

I once heard it could be chicken or dolphin or both so I like to say "fish" to make sure people know I'm not out there eating dolphin/chicken sandwiches. What did you have for lunch?

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                              I once heard it could be chicken or dolphin or both so I like to say "fish" to make sure people know I'm not out there eating dolphin/chicken sandwiches. What did you have for lunch?
                              Dolphin free
                              #OneKnight

Comment

Working...
                              X