The Holy Grail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holy Grail

Don't know whether this belongs in this side of Cafe, but it is addressed to division I college hockey fans, so here goes.

I got to thinking about Fame the other day. Not just any old kind of Fame, like being a movie star, professional athlete, or POTUS: I'm talking about the big enchilada, the top of the heap, the zenith--Lord Stanley's Cup. How many of you division I college hockey fans have had a personal experience with hockey's Holy Grail by:

1) Seeing it in person;

2) Seeing it from less than 10 feet away;

3) Touching it; or

4) Drinkingabeerfromitinwhichcasethereissurelyaplacei nheavenforyou.

If you had a spouse, member of your family, or close friend have an experience with it, that counts, but please Gopher fans don't say you saw it in John Mariucci's workshop when he was making it.

A prize. For something this important there should be a prize. OK.

1st Prize: 10 bucks.

2nd Prize: One week expense paid vacation for you and a guest at an accomodation of your choice in North Dakota along with your tour guide, Dirty.
    Last edited by burd; 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM.

Re: The Holy Grail

What if I get 2nd place?
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I live in the Raleigh area, so when the Hurricanes made the Finals in 2002 I got to stand in line for half an hour at a Sears so my wife and I could have our picture taken with it. While that was cool, you can't spend much time with it as you have to keep the line moving. I would rather have spent the half hour reading the Cup.
      Michael Napier - UAH '97
      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        What if I get 2nd place?
        DAMMIT! It was a perfect plan except for that. How about you get Minnesota with Scooby as your guide?

Comment

I think the cup was at my school at least twice, but probably all three times in 97/98/02. Took a picture right next to it in 2002, but don't recall if touching was allowed. I should try to find that...

Don't know exactly how it ended up there, while he wasn't with the Wings at the time, I'd still imagine it had something to do with this guy's kid being a grade below me.

Comment

1. Saw it in person
            2. Saw it from less than 10 feet away
            3. Touched it
            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
            https://***********/QHockeyBlog
            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Brooks Orpik brought it to Conte Forum after winning it with the Penguins and collected donations for the Boys and Girls Club. I had a chance to see it and get my picture taken with it with Brooks and my son who was 1.5 years old around that time in July 2009. Didn't touch it. But it was a really special experience and very humbling to see Orpik spend his day with the Cup for a few hours with total strangers and to share that with everyone while raising some money for charity.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                1. Saw it in person
                3. Touched it
                that, and have multiple pictures with it. For special people, we sent Christmas cards of me, my wife, and the cup in between us, with our arms around it. It was cool.

Should I post a copy of the christmas card? Oh, even better for college hockey, we are in our school uniforms WITH the cup.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  that, and have multiple pictures with it. For special people, we sent Christmas cards of me, my wife, and the cup in between us, with our arms around it. It was cool.

Should I post a copy of the christmas card? Oh, even better for college hockey, we are in our school uniforms WITH the cup.
                  pics or it didn't happen

Comment

1. Saw it in person
                    3. Touched it
                    Same here.

Norm MacIver won it as a person in the Blackhawks organization a few years ago and he brought it to the Heritage Center in Duluth. Stood in line for an hour (got interviewed on TV about Brett Favre ironically) and then was able to touch it. Knew I would never win it so I could touch it.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

*****http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/243665_177001069098772_1285787845_o.jpg****** Me with the Cup.

Comment

1. Saw it in person
                        3. Touched it
                        Same here. Lord Stanley gets around.

Comment

I've seen "the Cup" behind glass at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. Whether it was the real Presentation Cup or just a replica I'm not sure.
                          #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                            I've seen "the Cup" behind glass at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. Whether it was the real Presentation Cup or just a replica I'm not sure.
                            Whoa. Replica? This just got a little more complicated.

Comment

1. Saw it in person
                              3. Touched it
                              You're going to find that a lot of people have done this, myself included. I saw it at the NHC after Hedican and Cullen won it with the Canes.

This will be a busy thread if everybody who had the same experience makes a post. May I suggest that we limited stories to only those who've lifted it, drank from it, ate from it, or something similar?
                              scsuhockey.com
                              CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Working...
                              X