Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on!

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
    Zelzer is no longer listed. Must have been a clerical error.
    Thanks

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on!

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
      The Tech 2013-14 Roster is on the MTU webpage.
      Looks like either the coaches, or the players by their own choice, once again phased out the high numbers from the roster. Copley is now the low (high) man on the totem pole with 31.
      35 --> Grad (Genoe)
      34 --> 17 Sweeney
      33 --> 13 Anderson
      32 --> 21 Vallis

Other changes:
      7 --> 16 Khaira
      22 --> 14 Gould

Nobody rostered with 1, 2, or 4. Although #1 was worn by MTU / NHL star Tony Esposito, MTU has no officially retired numbers. Jersey #1 has been issued a few times in recent history with no player lasting more two years with that number in the last decade. However the #1 certainly hasn't been worn by a "#1" goalie in a loooog time. POP QUIZ - Who was the last player to wear #1 for four consecutive seasons?

Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        POP QUIZ - Who was the last player to wear #1 for four consecutive seasons?
        Todd Weninger?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Todd Weninger?
          Close, but incorrect. The younger of the two Weninger brothers from Calgary, Alberta, Todd followed his brother David to MTU to mind the nets. David played four seasons wearing #35 (1995-99), however Todd departed one year later after only three seasons (1997-2000) of wearing #1. HINT: Todd took over the #1 from the last player to wear #1 for four seasons.

Ryan J

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            Close, but incorrect. The younger of the two Weninger brothers from Calgary, Alberta, Todd followed his brother David to MTU to mind the nets. David played four seasons wearing #35 (1995-99), however Todd departed one year later after only three seasons (1997-2000) of wearing #1. HINT: Todd took over the #1 from the last player to wear #1 for four seasons.

Ryan J
            Jamie Ram?
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Luciano Caravaggio

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                Jamie Ram?
                No sorry, Ram, who was a Hobey Baker finalist and an All-American in net for MTU, wore #31 all four years at MTU. He was however one of the first MTU net minders to wear a stylized goal mask. Ram also wore the first set of "Piano Dog" jerseys. No part of this set of jerseys has been seen since 1994 so I suspect the players might have them. If they had gone public in some way, at least one would have surfaced by now.

In spite of all his talent, Ram's official on-ice NHL career with the New York Rangers lasted a total 27 minutes in one game, saving all 9 shots he faced. The duo of Mike Richter and Glenn Healy on the Rangers roster, left no room for a talented rookie and he was soon off the roster and found his way West and was acquired first by the Sharks organization and eventually the Mighty Ducks. Ram was likely moved to the Ducks because the Sharks already had a seasoned young goalie you might know... Steve Shields. After playing for Team Canada one season, Ram played in Europe and Russia for four more seasons before retiring from the professional ranks.

As was team tradition, Ram was given the blue Rangers jersey he wore in his only game by the team management. His white jersey which he wore only during warm-ups and on the bench at MSG during a couple other games was sold publicly through a jersey dealer and was the first NHL used jersey I acquired for my collection back in 1998. It remains in my collection today.

Also check out the stats - Ram played in SEVENTY FIVE games during his final two seasons! Some years Tech didn't even play 35 games, much less would they have all been played by ONE net minder. In spite of all this ice time, another goalie did get in about a dozen games during Ram's senior season. This goalie wore #1, and he would don it for the next three seasons as well...
                Ryan J

Comment

Luciano Caravaggio
                  We have our winner - nice work. Unfortunately he also played during the 35mm film era so I don't have any scanned images handy (or even a jersey to share).
                  Ryan J

Comment

Alumni game this week.

Any siigns of Esposito?

Comment

Just wondering if the recruits projected impact
                      For this season is in this order or do the fans see it differently.

1. Heinonen
                      Joining top 6 Fwds or centering third line
                      Cannot wait to see what he can do.

2. Hanna
                      Will play regularly and see power play time

3. Baltus
                      Will earn regular spot possibly centering fourth line moving
                      Rix to RW. Offensive talent who will upgrade scoring in bottom 6 Fwds

4. Vallis
                      Will add scoring touch to ice time he can get slotted this year. Could be forward traveling with team on the road and get plenty of ice this year

5. Sturos
                      Energy guy and penalty killer likely to see some time
                      On 4th line RW spot.

6. Leibinger
                      Will see spot duty on the blue line replacing third pair LD and prove his overall solid play

7. Neville
                      Will see spot duty this season on 4th line.
                      By next year will not be able to remove him from lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                        Just wondering if the recruits projected impact
                        For this season is in this order or do the fans see it differently.
                        I have Hanna as the strongest new recruit this year, followed by Baltus, Heinonen and Sturos.
                        I don't see Leibinger cracking the top six unless Fillion slumps, but I'm sure he'll see some tryout ice time.
                        Of the six D slots, only one is really open and I see that going to Hanna.
                        It's going to be tough for Neville and Vallis to get ice time unless they really bring their A-game.
                        They'll have to displace a lot of high talent players to get a regular posting on a line.
                        Of the 12 F slots, only two are really in play and five players will be competing for them.
                        I liked Hietala's performance last year and I think he'll be in the running along with Sturos, Neville and Vallis.
                        It'll be interesting to see if Jacob Johnstone and Malcolm Gould will hold a regular slot.

Comment

Here's Stephen Anderson's article on the Tech Hockey College Prep Camp.

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

It seemed like a good turnout, but they had wanted to create 4 teams of players. Sounds like it will be a yearly thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                            Here's Stephen Anderson's article on the Tech Hockey College Prep Camp.
                            Anderson posted the rosters via Twitter. Most of the players were local, but Peyton Frantti, who was a freshman on Culver Military Academy's third team last season, also attended. I know Culver turns out some talent, but I don't know whether Frantti's assignment is any indication that he's worth watching. There were no freshmen on the first team and only four on the second team. (Peyton apparently did play a handful of games with the second team.) He's is a '97 birthday from River Hills, Wisconsin (suburban Milwaukee); 6'0", 143 lbs. His brother Connor was a senior on the first team last year, will likely play for the Muskegon Lumberjacks this year and has committed to Northern Michigan. For what it's worth, Peyton's tweets demonstrate affinity for the U.P.

Comment

Anderson posted the rosters via Twitter. Most of the players were local, but Peyton Frantti, who was a freshman on Culver Military Academy's third team last season, also attended. I know Culver turns out some talent, but I don't know whether Frantti's assignment is any indication that he's worth watching. There were no freshmen on the first team and only four on the second team. (Peyton apparently did play a handful of games with the second team.) He's is a '97 birthday from River Hills, Wisconsin (suburban Milwaukee); 6'0", 143 lbs. His brother Connor was a senior on the first team last year, will likely play for the Muskegon Lumberjacks this year and has committed to Northern Michigan. For what it's worth, Peyton's tweets demonstrate affinity for the U.P.
                              And then you throw in Blake Hamar (Servite HS - Anaheim, CA) and David Raisanen (Dassel-Cokato HS - Cokato, MN)
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Family connections in the U.P.... Michigan Tech and Mel did recruit Connor. He ultimately chose Northern Michigan in a tight race over Tech, Lake Superior and Notre Dame. If Peyton grows and develops like his brother, I think he will be on Tech's radar in the future. In looking at the camp rosters, Todd Kiilunen will be a future prospect as well.
                                Last edited by eye4talent; 07-31-2013, 08:41 AM.
                                "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Working...
                                X