Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on!

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
    I was in metro detroit this past weekend, the only way I'm moving down there is if I'm getting paid 200k for what i currently do and I know thats not going to happen so I dont have to worry about moving to metro detroit
    Yeah.....I'll go move back to the farm and work for my dad before I move to Detroilet.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on!

If I needed a job, I personally wouldn't begrudge any city that provided said job, but maybe that's just me. So consider yourselves lucky that you are in a position to make blanket statements about an entire region from your current perch.

So, Tech hockey...yep, gonna be a good year.

Comment

• Originally posted by melmac View Post
        Okay... I was told there would be no math, but I'm pretty sure October 5th is 100 days away.

At least that's what the due date calculator thingies keep telling me.
        I was told I would never have to do math again. so I rely on others to do it for me. the press release said "in a little over 90 days". I just figured 90 days with the hoorah that goes on the week before.

how is the little one doing? those little kicks you may be feeling are him/her practicing stick handling.
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          If I needed a job, I personally wouldn't begrudge any city that provided said job, but maybe that's just me. So consider yourselves lucky that you are in a position to make blanket statements about an entire region from your current perch.
          Maybe I should move up from Alabama...

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Even Saginaw?
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              Even Saginaw?
              I wouldn't have to live in Saggy, just like I don't have to live in Detroit.

A majority of the Detroit 'burbs are fine - in fact, many are quite wealthy, both old money and new. And the downtown area is slowly reviving, even if Dan Gilbert & Quicken Loans end up owning most of it.

Comment

D pairings this season look like this to start

1st pair (offense)
                Sweeney Hyland

2nd pair (shutdown w/Sova offensive upside)
                Stebner Sova

3rd pair (depth)
                Hanna Fillion

Leibinger Davis rotating in on third pair

Or is Hanna that good to play on the offensive pairing

Hanna Sweeney
                Stebner Sova
                Fillion Hyland

???

Comment

Article on Mitch Reinke is finally up: http://wp.me/p1BNCG-1nq
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                    D pairings this season look like this to start

1st pair (offense)
                    Sweeney Hyland

2nd pair (shutdown w/Sova offensive upside)
                    Stebner Sova

3rd pair (depth)
                    Hanna Fillion

Leibinger Davis rotating in on third pair

Or is Hanna that good to play on the offensive pairing

Hanna Sweeney
                    Stebner Sova
                    Fillion Hyland

???
                    I think Mel is more likely to pair a shutdown guy with an offensive defenseman. And from what we've heard, Hanna will be more than "depth", especially on the powerplay with Seigo graduated.

Comment

Just a few comments on Detroit,
                      I've lived a lot of places because I was in the military. I like Detroit better than most. Certainly there is plenty of bad, but really the city is turning the corner and a lot of young people are moving in and renovating places in the city. There is a lot of blight, but the era of the city council and the mayor plundering the citizens is over.
                      I like the tax climate, real estate tax is much less than in minnesota for instance. And as opposed to the east coast, the tax climate is far cheaper with similar services and for the most part, good public schools.. At the same time you get major league amenities. The Detroit institute of Art has about the number 3 or 4 collection in the US. We have good sports teams, plenty of good places to eat, Gold cup hydroplanes if you like that stuff, and overall, it's not that bad.

The climate is still the north, but having lived in the south, I prefer 4 seasons.. In fact in general I really dislike the south and its not just the climate. Plus we have more golf courses per capita than any other state and more boating than almost all other states. so, make fun of it if you like, but I respectfully disagree, Michigan is a good place to live.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Tech has a lot of decisions to make in the early season.

Can this team win the WCHA with this set of forward lines?

1st
                        Pietila Kero Petan

2nd
                        D. Johnstone Khaira Heinonen

3rd
                        Furne Baltus J. Johnstone

4th
                        Eick Rix Sturos

With Vallis, Neville, and Gould rotating in on the third line or 4th line RW.
                        Trying to find ice time are Holmberg, Hietila, and Anderson.

Comment

I doubt Gould rotates. I'm looking for him to be more consistent as a sophomore and approxmiately double his output.

Also time for Furne to step it up for his senior year. He should have at least 30 pts.

Comment

I doubt Gould rotates. I'm looking for him to be more consistent as a sophomore and approxmiately double his output.

Also time for Furne to step it up for his senior year. He should have at least 30 pts.
                            I agree about Gould . . . I think he may surprise some people this year.

Comment

I'm slightly concerned about the D, but otherwise this team is set for a groundbreaking year. The only squad in the new WCHA with arguably more talent is Mankato, but as they say, championships aren't won on paper. The experience Tech will gain from their OOC schedule should give them a leg up going down the stretch.

BTW, we're in the late 5th round and neither Birks nor Jackson has been taken yet.

EDIT: Pittsburgh just drafted Birks, 164th overall.

EDIT 2: Jake Jackson goes 201st overall to San Jose.
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 06-30-2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

So Michigan Tech adds two more to the list of drafted players. Dane Birks to Pittsburgh in the 6th round and Jake Jackson to San Jose in the 7th round. Surprised Birks lasted that long but I expected those two to get drafted. Should be interesting to see if they can keep it up. Now 3 years in a row with a player/recruit drafted.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X