Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on!

In short, you want every team on your schedule to win every game they play, except when they play you. This pretty much assures they will be a team under consideration and you will have the comparison in your favor by having beat them. You also get the benefit that if teams you beat are winning that should flip more comparisons in your favor as well.
    To more directly answer your question, just because ND is in HE and we beat them, doesn't give your team any specific benefit just because HE is normally an above average conference.
    Ryan J
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 05-27-2013, 08:14 PM.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on!

Here's a Pioneer Press article about Jake Jackson, mostly about his decision to stay for his senior year, allowing him to play hockey and baseball with his classmates.

There's recruiting notes and some Michigan Tech mentions.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...ts-hockey-hold

Comment

Who of the forwards will light the lamp their first year in Houghton and challenge for top 6 minutes.

Baltus, Heinonen, Neville, Sturos,

Is their ice time available for the forward recruits due to talent upgrade?

Comment

We only lost 3 forwards & 3 defensemen, and we have quite a big group coming in. It will be hard for any of the new forwards to crack the lineup, but I think Baltus, Heinonen and Sturos stand the best chance, with Neville and Vallis probably close behind. In the D corp, I think Shane Hanna will crack the top six immediately, with Ericsson and Leibinger battling against Davis and Hyland. In general, this year's recruit class is pretty good, but I don't think we have any forwards in the same class as Petan & Khaira or Pietila & Johnstone.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
            We only lost 3 forwards & 3 defensemen, and we have quite a big group coming in. It will be hard for any of the new forwards to crack the lineup, but I think Baltus, Heinonen and Sturos stand the best chance, with Neville and Vallis probably close behind. In the D corp, I think Shane Hanna will crack the top six immediately, with Ericsson and Leibinger battling against Davis and Hyland. In general, this year's recruit class is pretty good, but I don't think we have any forwards in the same class as Petan & Khaira or Pietila & Johnstone.
            I don't agree on Hyland. at the end of the year he was one of the top three if you ask me. I think it could be one of the older guys that is looking for more time.
            As far as the pwr, assuming ND is as good as they have been, I would think we would win all the comparisons that they win which would be huge, but I'm no expert. It doesn't do much good to beat teams who lose all their other games agreed. And I wonder how a split effects us. I guess what I'm getting at is that the coach set us up to play a tough non con schedule. I think this is a good deal, but I was hoping to get at the pro's and cons of that.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

It's a solid class. UpNorth is right, there are no forwards on B. Pietila/Kharia/Petan's levels, but with all due respect to this past season's seniors, next year's freshman forwards definitely have higher ceilings than the graduating forwards.

Hanna is the best incoming player, likely a future Top 2 d-man. Also coming in after two years in the pipeline will be Chris Leibinger, who also has Top 4 potential in the long run. Hanna-Leibinger-Hyland will battle for the 5th/6th spots on D, and Hanna will get PP time along with Hyland, Fillion, and Sweeney as the staff tries to figure out who's replacing Seigo at the point on the top unit.

I'd say the incoming forwards all have roughly equal odds of getting ice time. In the long run, Heinonen has the most potential of the group, but Baltus may have the edge early on. Neville's best assets - grit & a championship work ethic - might land him a fair amount of 3rd/4th line time this year.

Comment

All have some idea of the team make-up, and ice time will work it's way out based on their work during the off season.

Some claimed new scoreboard is showing up but we can't watch it get installed on an SDC webcam. That is if it is happening. Already had some rink updates last year, any others going on this year?

Now what about staff and coaches? Have one coach we know wants to move up soon. Anything else?

Comment

Michigan Tech released the full schedule today: http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...13-14/schedule

Its official that Notre Dame games will be Friday/Sunday around Notre Dame vs USC football.

MTU will have it's first 5 regular season games on the road (and 7 of first 8) with the first home game coming Saturday, October 26 vs NMU.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    Yeah, I picked up nine of the UMD jerseys. (How sad is it that I was able to obtain more UMD jerseys than MTU jerseys this season.) There were two major UMD collections I knew of, but after this week one of them no longer exists as it has been splintered a couple dozen different ways. UMD stuff is tough to get so although I didn't intend to get that many, I can always use them for traders. I was fully expecting that the typical all-night bidding would cause me to lose a few jerseys, but I guess the college bidders went to bed early. For those of you not familiar auction site we are discussing, the auction "ends" at 9pm, but has extended bidding for 10 minutes from the time of the last bid. This means every item on their site continues as a live auction until there are no bids on ANY item for a full 10 minutes. For this auction it took 8 HOURS after the "end" time before this happened.

Ryan J
                    Who is the other major collector? I'm jealous of the gold one you landed.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Scoreboard Cam is now up: http://www.mtu.edu/webcams/ice-arena/motion.html
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        YES I knew pleas would be answered. Now pleas for a tournament bid.

Comment

the old scoreboard is going to Calumet to be installed in the Coliseum. which is also getting a new ice plant. its the 100th anniversary. rumors that a team of retired Red Wings may play up there this winter.
                          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Who is the other major collector? I'm jealous of the gold one you landed.
                            A guy named Tim S. who lives on the North side of the Twin Cities. He has several RACKS of UND / North Stars game jerseys. He use to have his UMD collection on Webshots but I can't access it anymore since Webshots got taken over by another company.

Ryan J
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                              the old scoreboard is going to Calumet to be installed in the Coliseum. which is also getting a new ice plant. its the 100th anniversary. rumors that a team of retired Red Wings may play up there this winter.
                              *****http://board.uscho.com/images/icons/icon14.png******

Comment

Sigh:
                                BREAKING: #mtuhky volunteer goalie coach Steve Shields is leaving Michigan Tech. The search for a new volunteer goalie coach has begun.

Comment

Working...
                                X