This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    Retaining the best local talent has always been a key piece of the puzzle for UAA's success. Neither Talafous nor Shyiak was able to do so, in fact the local hockey community was mostly negative to each of them. John Hill had some success with retaining a larger portion of the local crop of players. And it isn't an insignificant thing with recent names such as over the last 4 years ...

Evan Trupp, William Rapuzzi, Eli Zuck, Adam Murray, Steve Summerhays, Tanner Sorenson, .... every one of those guys which Shyiak didn't get would have added to the talent-base at UAA. And if he'd gotten all of them? UAA certainly could have been an NCAA regular.

This is why a local guy is talked about. The fact that Dennis Sorenson or Corey Millen has no college hockey coaching experience doesn't mean squat. The Tampa Bay Lightning just hired Jon Cooper didn't they? And yes, it's an insular, provincial place ... any Alaskan posting in this thread understands that; they've all heard the very common local saying "We don't give a ***** how they do things outside." That is an important local ethic in a place that is 3000 miles away from any other Division 1 hockey program. It is a pervasive attitude. And it is likely the only one that if adhered to in the next hire that can have a real chance at keeping the best local talent at home. Alternatively, you'd need a "name" that ANY kid would want to play for to make that happen. Another Shyiak or Talafous just isn't going to crack the community. It wouldn't be their fault either. It would be the insular, provincial and closed-minded local community's fault. But that's the way it is.
    No college experience doesn't mean squat? Really? Name the last guy with no college experience to succeed at the D-1 level. As for Cooper, he didn't go from Green Bay right to the Lightning. He spent a few years in the AHL in between. One must also note that Cooper has a GM, assistant GM and a vast network of scouts to identify talent and to do the drafting. And once a player is drafted, that team owns his rights. Summerhays? Please give me the recruiting pitch that would convince a kid to choose Alaska-Anchorage over Notre Dame.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Obviously every recruiting situation is unique. My list of Anchorage kids that went elsewhere was an example of the sorts of local players that have often been talked about as important to keep. Those players were just over the last few years. If I wanted I could create a LONG LONG list of Alaskan players that went to school in places other than Alaska. What part of keeping local players at home being a very specific issue for UAA due to it's geography don't you understand?

You come in here and say nobody might ever be able to recruit to UAA then you deride the suggestion that a local alumni of the program be given an opportunity. You're only in this thread to be a d!ck. You have no interest in UAA hockey now that your friend Shyiak is gone. Do you see me in NMU threads? Do you want me to come to NMU threads? Perhaps some other NMU fans might enjoy it if I turned up there?

Feel free to respond to this post with what I'll assume will be the usual claptrap directed at me and then be gone from UAA threads where you have no genuine interest. Save yourself the heartburn of interacting with me regularly. Really. We don't give a **** how they do it outside.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        No college experience doesn't mean squat? Really? Name the last guy with no college experience to succeed at the D-1 level.
        Andy Murray?
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Andy Murray?
          Nice! Very nice.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Obviously every recruiting situation is unique. My list of Anchorage kids that went elsewhere was an example of the sorts of local players that have often been talked about as important to keep. Those players were just over the last few years. If I wanted I could create a LONG LONG list of Alaskan players that went to school in places other than Alaska. What part of keeping local players at home being a very specific issue for UAA due to it's geography don't you understand?

You come in here and say nobody might ever be able to recruit to UAA then you deride the suggestion that a local alumni of the program be given an opportunity. You're only in this thread to be a d!ck. You have no interest in UAA hockey now that your friend Shyiak is gone. Do you see me in NMU threads? Do you want me to come to NMU threads? Perhaps some other NMU fans might enjoy it if I turned up there?

Feel free to respond to this post with what I'll assume will be the usual claptrap directed at me and then be gone from UAA threads where you have no genuine interest. Save yourself the heartburn of interacting with me regularly. Really. We don't give a **** how they do it outside.
            I didn't deride the suggestion because they were local. What I questioned was their qualifications beyond being local. We hear comments at NMU about not having enough local athletes in our programs. i'm very familiar with the local pride and the unique local character angle. We have plenty in Upper Michigan. Being a dick? What because I disagree with you? As far as recruiting to Alaska, please name the Alaska college hockey coach with a winning record at an Alaska school since UAF and UAA joined the CCHA and WCHA respectively. Not a one in the last 20 years. My "buddy Shyiak?" Do I like Dave personally, absolutely. Terrific guy. But if you hadn't noticed, in more than one post in this thread, I have indicated that I understand the decision based upon his won-loss record. Nor do I have any negative ideas about Cobb or UAA for their decision. But there are far more factors than who the coach is that contribute to the difficult times UAA has had over 20 years and four coaches.

As for being an outsider with no "genuine interest," I beg to differ. I am interested in many college hockey programs, especially those in the new WCHA. I have followed UAA since their last NCAA season. And since you don't want an outsider expressing opinion, why are you commenting in the DU threads?
            Last edited by davyd83; 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM.

Comment

davyd83...your opinion and insight is welcomed by other UAA fans. Sometimes us Alaskan's need help from outsiders to think rationally....Palin is a great example.

--Dre

Comment

I didn't deride the suggestion because they were local. What I questioned was their qualifications beyond being local. We hear comments at NMU about not having enough local athletes in our programs. i'm very familiar with the local pride and the unique local character angle. We have plenty in Upper Michigan. Being a dick? What because I disagree with you? As far as recruiting to Alaska, please name the Alaska college hockey coach with a winning record at an Alaska school since UAF and UAA joined the CCHA and WCHA respectively. Not a one in the last 20 years. My "buddy Shyiak?" Do I like Dave personally, absolutely. Terrific guy. But if you hadn't noticed, in more than one post in this thread, I have indicated that I understand the decision based upon his won-loss record. Nor do I have any negative ideas about Cobb or UAA for their decision. But there are far more factors than who the coach is that contribute to the difficult times UAA has had over 20 years and four coaches.

As for being an outsider with no "genuine interest," I beg to differ. I am interested in many college hockey programs, especially those in the new WCHA. I have followed UAA since their last NCAA season. And since you don't want an outsider expressing opinion, why are you commenting in the DU threads?
                I agree with you about the situation and i also take outside opinion even though i may not agree with it.
                Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

• Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                  I agree with you about the situation and i also take outside opinion even though i may not agree with it.
                  One thing I am looking forward to is the trip to Anchorage in January. It will be nice to see more of it than the airport. I've known many people over the years who have played or worked in Anchorage with the SeaWolves and Aces. One of the first I met was Brush Christenson back when NMU and UAA met in the NCAA Tourney. Certainly a great introduction to the UAA program and Anchorage. Friends and relatives have lived there in the years since, and I have heard nothing but good things. Your threads on USCHO have always been both among the most knowledgeable and most passionate. My travels in the college and minor pro hockey business have taken me from Fairbanks to Jacksonville, from El Paso to Norfolk and so many places in between. Looking forward to adding Anchorage to the experience!

Comment

One thing I am looking forward to is the trip to Anchorage in January. It will be nice to see more of it than the airport. I've known many people over the years who have played or worked in Anchorage with the SeaWolves and Aces. One of the first I met was Brush Christenson back when NMU and UAA met in the NCAA Tourney. Certainly a great introduction to the UAA program and Anchorage. Friends and relatives have lived there in the years since, and I have heard nothing but good things. Your threads on USCHO have always been both among the most knowledgeable and most passionate. My travels in the college and minor pro hockey business have taken me from Fairbanks to Jacksonville, from El Paso to Norfolk and so many places in between. Looking forward to adding Anchorage to the experience!
                    Awesome, glad you are coming up. And fyi, Brush still attends every UAA game. You will enjoy your time up here i guarantee it.
                    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post

160lbs of loud mouthed bad arse comin 'atcha! Don't trip over your bong while you're charging at Davy!
                      "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                      Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                      The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                      Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

I'm not a Donald apologist. Some of his stuff I agree with and some I don't.
                        It appears Donald has got under somebody elses' skin.
                        Don't agree with him? Write a rebuttal.
                        The personal attacks with nothing to refute Donalds' position make the writer appear small and unable to defend his own position.
                        Just sayin...........

Comment

Which part of an individual expressing his/her personal views on a fan forum is difficult for people to grasp? Have we really reached the point on the internet where we mirror real-life by faux back-patting each other and wildly group retorting against those who fail to fall in line with the majority opinion? If some of the people in this forum want to stroke each other to give themselves some sense of community online go right ahead; everyone knows who I'm talking about. None of that stupidity is going to affect the things I think and/or how I express them; I'm not here to be someone's friend. Don't like what I have to say? Suck it up the same way that many others do when they see what "you" have to say.

The content here isn't only read by people that respond to any specific set of comments or ideas. It is in fact read by many more people than just those participating. And in every case, those people are fully capable of digesting, evaluating and judging the posts without some other active poster coming in an making some big "to do" about what someone else said.

Continue on with the Facebook-style reassuring and ego-stroking.

Comment

1 vote for best video by a poster, that's funny!
                            Last edited by GOAGG; 04-11-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              ........... Please give me the recruiting pitch that would convince a kid to choose Alaska-Anchorage over Notre Dame.
                              That's easy, one word. Alaska
                              Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Schlacker Rat View Post
                                That's easy, one word. Alaska
                                But it snows 14 months a year in Alaska, everybody goes to class in dogsleds, and student dorms are simply wall tents planted in the ice. Who wants to go there?
                                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                                X