This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

With Tim Whitehead being fired from Maine, I wouldn't be surprised if Blair applied for that job.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

a good article from Jake Ryle from Fox 4/Kimo 13 on the new sports complex

http://thearu.com/2013/04/04/univers...llion-mistake/
      Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
        With Tim Whitehead being fired from Maine, I wouldn't be surprised if Blair applied for that job.
        I imagine he will. Whitehead was a big part of why he left Maine to begin with. If he applies, I hope he gets it - I personally don't think the UAA job was all he thought it would be.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
          I imagine he will. Whitehead was a big part of why he left Maine to begin with. If he applies, I hope he gets it - I personally don't think the UAA job was all he thought it would be.
          With all due respect, a UAA assistant isn't getting a sniff of the Maine job - their 3rd choice is a big name guy, nevermind the first two choices...

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
            With all due respect, a UAA assistant isn't getting a sniff of the Maine job - their 3rd choice is a big name guy, nevermind the first two choices...
            The three targets Maine has identified are Scott Pellerin, Greg Cronin and Jim Montgomery.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
              I could be wrong .... but I think it would take more testicles than John Hill actually has to apply for the job. There's not much chance that Steve Cobb has forgotten how Hill threw the program under the bus to justify his departure to make his wife happy. It would be tough for me as a fan to support him as the head coach. I'd probably just switch over and become a Gopher fan. Note here that I did advocate publicly for Dennis Sorenson at the time they hired Hill. Dennis and John were teammates and Dennis has stayed in the community and given tons of his time and effort coaching youth and high school hockey. He's had a large degree of success (i.e... national championships) doing so. I know some hockey people in Anchorage don't like Dennis because he has a bit of a reputation as being a bit gruff with players. I wouldn't see that as a negative though since he'd be coaching 20+ year olds versus 15 year olds. I would highly prefer him over this Chris Tok or Mike Corbett who have zero connection to Alaska.
              What experience does Swanson have coaching and recruiting at the Division I NCAA level? Name the last high school/ youth hockey coach to jump to D-I head coach with no D-I coaching/ recruiting experience and have success.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                What experience does Swanson have coaching and recruiting at the Division I NCAA level? Name the last high school/ youth hockey coach to jump to D-I head coach with no D-I coaching/ recruiting experience and have success.
                I believe Sorensen was an assistant at UAA for years before he was a high school coach

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                  I believe Sorensen was an assistant at UAA for years before he was a high school coach
                  It is possible, but that would have been quite a while ago. It wouldn't put him in a good position to succeed. Although returning to a spot as an assistant could be possible. The bottom line though, Shyiak has the best win percentage of any coach since UAA joined the WCHA. You've got to change more then the name on the coach's office if you want to have consistent success. As far as the coaching search goes, I'll throw a name in the hat. Former Ohio State coach John Markell. Five NCAA appearances, including one the season before he was let go, at a school where hockey has been an afterthought. He spent a 2 years as a scout for Dallas since. He probably would come at a reasonable price if he's looking to get back in.

Comment

Tok would be a decent choice, IMO. This whole "Anchorage native" thing is the same kind of insular talk that has pervaded Tech's program for years, and played a part in driving solid "outsiders" like Newell Brown and Bob Mancini out of town, while leading to the mistaken hiring of Tim Watters. Hiring alums and locals works sometimes, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. Whether or not Tok would move his family, or even apply for the job, is another story.

Markell is also worth a look, if he's interested, but I would be wary of his ability to recruit to UAA after years at Ohio State.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Tok would be a decent choice, IMO. This whole "Anchorage native" thing is the same kind of insular talk that has pervaded Tech's program for years, and played a part in driving solid "outsiders" like Newell Brown and Bob Mancini out of town, while leading to the mistaken hiring of Tim Watters. Hiring alums and locals works sometimes, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. Whether or not Tok would move his family, or even apply for the job, is another story.

Markell is also worth a look, if he's interested, but I would be wary of his ability to recruit to UAA after years at Ohio State.
                      Based upon the past 20 years, the ability of anyone to recruit to UAA could be questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Based upon the past 20 years, the ability of anyone to recruit to UAA could be questionable.
                        Good point. Hence Donald's (well thought out) insistence that we get someone who has big chops, so to speak. Problem being that such a person would
                        also require big bucks, which we don't have (and he acknowledged this as well).

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with the recruits we have been getting, or have now for that matter. Just a couple years ago UAA swept the Gophs in the playoffs at Mariucci. They just haven't been able to get over the hump or sustain any success. I believe that is on the coach, and we need to find one who isn't getting outcoached, and one who the players want to win for. Special teams are something that needs a lot of work ... as well as getting a coach who can rein in the major penalties.
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Retaining the best local talent has always been a key piece of the puzzle for UAA's success. Neither Talafous nor Shyiak was able to do so, in fact the local hockey community was mostly negative to each of them. John Hill had some success with retaining a larger portion of the local crop of players. And it isn't an insignificant thing with recent names such as over the last 4 years ...

Evan Trupp, William Rapuzzi, Eli Zuck, Adam Murray, Steve Summerhays, Tanner Sorenson, .... every one of those guys which Shyiak didn't get would have added to the talent-base at UAA. And if he'd gotten all of them? UAA certainly could have been an NCAA regular.

This is why a local guy is talked about. The fact that Dennis Sorenson or Corey Millen has no college hockey coaching experience doesn't mean squat. The Tampa Bay Lightning just hired Jon Cooper didn't they? And yes, it's an insular, provincial place ... any Alaskan posting in this thread understands that; they've all heard the very common local saying "We don't give a ***** how they do things outside." That is an important local ethic in a place that is 3000 miles away from any other Division 1 hockey program. It is a pervasive attitude. And it is likely the only one that if adhered to in the next hire that can have a real chance at keeping the best local talent at home. Alternatively, you'd need a "name" that ANY kid would want to play for to make that happen. Another Shyiak or Talafous just isn't going to crack the community. It wouldn't be their fault either. It would be the insular, provincial and closed-minded local community's fault. But that's the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                              He was an assistant at Maine before coming to UAA and is an Associate Head Coach at UAA. I don't think he'll have a real shot at the Maine job but that isn't because he's been an "assistant" at UAA as much as other guys just have a higher "Maine profile".

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                                He was an assistant at Maine before coming to UAA and is an Associate Head Coach at UAA. I don't think he'll have a real shot at the Maine job but that isn't because he's been an "assistant" at UAA as much as other guys just have a higher "Maine profile".
                                I think he should be in the mix(Campbell Blair)...he was one of many that Whitehead pushed out the door,Guy Perron,Grant Standbrook...plus the Assistants he has had...he's more or less made then toe the TW line,and that was a disaster...I don't think he gets hired(CB)...but I think he could do a fine job(imo)...oh and the Maine ties,you are Correct,and has been focused on by the University.

Comment

Working...
                                X