X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
    Yep.. the floor in there was all torn up for a while, but I'm not sure if they're done or not yet?

Funny thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago and I actually thought about you Suze during the conversation I had! I was in a business lobby downtown and our illustrious mayor walks in and sits down a few seats away from me. First time I've met Dan Sullivan, but I figured.. how often does something like this happen? So I walked up to him and here's exactly how the conversation went:

me: So, when is the Sullivan Arena going to be renovated?
    DS: What do you mean? It's being.. we're putting new pipes in now..
    me: We need new glass for starters.
    DS: I think we're putting in new glass this summer.
    me: That's not what I heard. I heard it wasn't in the budget right now.
    DS: No, I'm pretty sure they're....
    me: ....and the center-ice scoreboard is antiquated and needs to be replaced.
    DS: People don't care about esthetics, they care more about the structure.
    me: Well, the place needs a facelift.
    DS: The seats are in great shape.
    me: ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Those ugly yellow seats are tattered and filthy!
    DS: I sit in the red seats.
    me: I'll bet you sit in the blue seats.
    DS: No, I'm in row (blah, blah, blah) in the red seats. (He gave me his row and seat numbers)
    me: When's the last time you looked at the yellow seats up close?
    DS: Like I said, no one cares about esthetics. As long as they work, that's all that matters.
    me: Next time you're in there, walk down to the yellow seats and check them out.
    DS: Next year we're tearing down a section of Mulcahy ballpark to expand the parking area.
    me: I thought that was supposed to be done last year?
    DS: Next year.
    me: So are we at least getting new glass?
    DS: I think so.... I thought we were... I know we're getting new pipes though. And they re-did the locker rooms and the public bathrooms.
    me: Yeah, years ago.

Anyway, I figure I got the guy flustered enough.. so I walked off. I honestly did think about you though when I was asking him about the glass!!
    I heard from the contract administrator for the muni today. According to her, the glass will not be replaced this summer. The plan is to replace the ice refrigeration system in 2014 and depending on that cost, the glass may be replaced then. So it looks like we'll be waiting at least another year!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      I heard from the contract administrator for the muni today. According to her, the glass will not be replaced this summer. The plan is to replace the ice refrigeration system in 2014 and depending on that cost, the glass may be replaced then. So it looks like we'll be waiting at least another year!
      Some of Anchorage's political folks have declared they are running for whatever office they think will further their own self interest.
      I'm not sure how a State person could influence Municipal spending but I'm sure they could if they wanted to.
      Might get some movement (insert your own joke here) on the Sully if enough folks and or groups voiced their desire for the Sully to be brought up to current day standards.
      There was a pretty vocal group of people calling for the ADs' head. Perhaps those same people and or groups could be persuaded to put that same type of effort into getting some help for the Sully.
      Any ideas on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        Some of Anchorage's political folks have declared they are running for whatever office they think will further their own self interest.
        I'm not sure how a State person could influence Municipal spending but I'm sure they could if they wanted to.
        Might get some movement (insert your own joke here) on the Sully if enough folks and or groups voiced their desire for the Sully to be brought up to current day standards.
        There was a pretty vocal group of people calling for the ADs' head. Perhaps those same people and or groups could be persuaded to put that same type of effort into getting some help for the Sully.
        Any ideas on this?
        No, other than contacting said groups and individuals like Reed, and asking for some help.
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Y
          Dan Sullivan: Like I said, no one cares about esthetics. As long as they work, that's all that matters.

Too funny...I wonder if his esthetics stance applies to his business venture i.e ...McGinley's Pub. It's much easier to take this position when your playing with other peoples money!

Here's an idea for a UAA Hockey fund raiser...let's sell some shirts around town:
          "McGinley's Pub...Because Nobody Cares About Esthetics"

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytownak View Post
            Too funny...I wonder if his esthetics stance applies to his business venture i.e ...McGinley's Pub. It's much easier to take this position when your playing with other peoples money!

Here's an idea for a UAA Hockey fund raiser...let's sell some shirts around town:
            "McGinley's Pub...Because Nobody Cares About Esthetics"
            Sell enough of those shirts and we could buy new glass.

Comment

Funny thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago and I actually thought about you Suze during the conversation I had! I was in a business lobby downtown and our illustrious mayor walks in and sits down a few seats away from me. First time I've met Dan Sullivan, but I figured.. how often does something like this happen? So I walked up to him and here's exactly how the conversation went:

DS: People don't care about esthetics, they care more about the structure.
              me: Well, the place needs a facelift.
              DS: The seats are in great shape.
              me: ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Those ugly yellow seats are tattered and filthy!
              DS: I sit in the red seats.
              me: I'll bet you sit in the blue seats.
              DS: No, I'm in row (blah, blah, blah) in the red seats. (He gave me his row and seat numbers)
              me: When's the last time you looked at the yellow seats up close?

Anyway, I figure I got the guy flustered enough.. so I walked off. I honestly did think about you though when I was asking him about the glass!!
              Yellow Seats……….. How about the folding chairs that are in the Arena ? they are the same one’s that were put in 1983 nice foam seats what feel like a 40 year old pancake. Sad sad
              Btw Dan probably still sits in his Dad’s seats and uses Dad’s “Golden Pass” to get in free
              Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 06-28-2013, 02:39 AM.
              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Lot of hockey gets played at Dempsey.
                Wonder how much of the $7,000,000 will get spent there?
                Anyone have an idea of what new glass at Sully would cost?
                What office did he file to run for (the tennis player not the oil company employee)?
                Just wondering.

Comment

What office did he file to run for (the tennis player not the oil company employee)?
                  Just wondering.
                  None of it will be spent on improvements that have anything to do with hockey if Mr. Dan Sullivan gets his way.

The article states - "The money was originally intended to support renovations to aging facilities like the Dempsey-Anderson Arena, Sullivan Arena and the Ben Boeke Ice Arena."

http://www.adn.com/2013/06/29/295850...#storylink=cpy

When it comes to hockey, Dan Sullivan reminds me of Steve Cobb. Sullivan with his tennis, Cobb with his basketball.

No offense to Cobbleheads. But they are two of a kind.

Comment

In answer to your question seawolfan, Sullivan is running for lieutenant governor.
                    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

None of it will be spent on improvements that have anything to do with hockey if Mr. Dan Sullivan gets his way.

The article states - "The money was originally intended to support renovations to aging facilities like the Dempsey-Anderson Arena, Sullivan Arena and the Ben Boeke Ice Arena."

http://www.adn.com/2013/06/29/295850...#storylink=cpy

When it comes to hockey, Dan Sullivan reminds me of Steve Cobb. Sullivan with his tennis, Cobb with his basketball.

No offense to Cobbleheads. But they are two of a kind.
                      You forgot The Guy who let his members out to dry and the Fat guy they don't care either. Not a peep what so ever.
                      Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 06-30-2013, 04:03 PM.
                      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                        In answer to your question seawolfan, Sullivan is running for lieutenant governor.
                        Running for office he may be amenable to tossing a bone to "the hockey community".
                        New glass at the Sully. Some rehabilitation and (God forbid) upgrades to Dempsey and Boeke.

Comment

Running for office he may be amenable to tossing a bone to "the hockey community"
                          He'll be in a primary with Lesil McGuire, right? I've never seen her at a Seawolves game, but she's definitely at a lot of Aces games. Come to think of it.. the only time I've seen Dan Sullivan at a game was when the Aces were playing. Then again, I would've never known he was even there if the announcer didn't mention it.

A few politicians show up at games during elections.. but the only one I can think of that goes to Seawolves games on a regular basis is (former) State Senator Arlis Sturgalewski ...and she's a huge fan. Good for her!

Comment

He'll be in a primary with Lesil McGuire, right? I've never seen her at a Seawolves game, but she's definitely at a lot of Aces games. Come to think of it.. the only time I've seen Dan Sullivan at a game was when the Aces were playing. Then again, I would've never known he was even there if the announcer didn't mention it.

A few politicians show up at games during elections.. but the only one I can think of that goes to Seawolves games on a regular basis is (former) State Senator Arlis Sturgalewski ...and she's a huge fan. Good for her!
                            Politicians that don't go to hockey games still care about gathering votes.
                            Most of them could care less about what an individual thinks or wants.
                            They are only concerned with their own self interests.
                            The company that contributes to their reelection fund is who they care about. They also cow-tow to individuals who may be able to influence other individuals.
                            However if a group or segment of the voting population lets them know of a united concern/want the politician will weigh how many votes will be influenced and act accordingly to serve their own self interest.
                            Enough individuals and or groups contact them with their concerns and the politician will address those concerns.
                            You still wondering why the gov stepped into firing Cobb? If you are there's probably no hope for you.
                            If enough of us write to those running for election/re-election there could possibly be some promises of help for the hockey facilities in this town.

Comment

Originally posted by thesullysucks View Post
                              Politicians that don't go to hockey games still care about gathering votes.
                              Most of them could care less about what an individual thinks or wants.
                              They are only concerned with their own self interests.
                              The company that contributes to their reelection fund is who they care about. They also cow-tow to individuals who may be able to influence other individuals.
                              However if a group or segment of the voting population lets them know of a united concern/want the politician will weigh how many votes will be influenced and act accordingly to serve their own self interest.
                              Enough individuals and or groups contact them with their concerns and the politician will address those concerns.
                              You still wondering why the gov stepped into firing Cobb? If you are there's probably no hope for you.
                              If enough of us write to those running for election/re-election there could possibly be some promises of help for the hockey facilities in this town.
                              You'll have to get those "promises" publicised and kept in the news for those "promises" to become realities.
                              These are politicians you're dealing with.

Comment

Just wondering.
                                Ask _airbanks fans. They have gorgeous, clear glass.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X