X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
    Arena is half done, no Ice will be added. Sorry
    I am aware that ice can't be added NOW, but why didn't the lobbyists get involved before, when there was so much controversy about it being built with no ice. Everyone makes it sound like Ashley has so much power ... why didn't he use it back then. That's what I don't understand. Clearly he could have exerted his influence.
    Last edited by Suze; 06-23-2013, 04:47 AM.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      I am aware that ice can't be added NOW, but why didn't the lobbyists get involved before, when there was so much controversy about it being built with no ice. Everyone makes it sound like Ashley has so much power ... why didn't he use it back then. That's what I don't understand. Clearly he could have exerted his influence.
      There was no upfront money cost to having Cobb fired. Gov Oil could grant that favor taking no money from the oil companies and he keeps an influential lobbyist happy. The only ice Gov Oil cares about is on the North Slope or in his cocktail. And the fat guy? If the ice aint under his kids skates he could care less either. Remember? his kid skates for some other team, not UAA so why rile his clients who don't want any spending at UAA unless it's for a program which directly benefits them. Engineering comes to mind.
      Making ice has put up or shutup, real money costs associated with it. It's easy to grant favors when you don't have to get your wallet out. Quite another thing when you have to shell out cash.
      The costs of firing Cobb will come down the road. The institution has been hurt. But who cares? Cause having him fired somehow helps the hockey program. Or soothes a fat lobbyists bruised ego.
      Last edited by Seawolf Fan; 06-23-2013, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Suze, the idea, from day one, was that there would always be a separate Ice Arena on campus from the Basketball arena. In early drawings, there was a desire to have both these arenas together across East High School. When that didn't happen, Dr. Cobb and his team was able to successfully put the new basketball arena where it is located now (and that was the greatest need) to putting the Ice Arena in a separate location. Nothing has changed. The only thing now that has changed is that Cobb was fired and now the effort to get an arena on campus (as per the new Masterplan) might be dead. So we might as well continue to be comfortable with the Sully.

Comment

No game ice on campus is better than an arena where the floor switches between a basketball floor and an ice rink. Such things are fine for giant commercial/public arenas in big cities where experienced and well paid crews get er done. In Anchorage it would likely mean going from one of THE BEST sheets of ice in ALL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY to average or less than average quality. Eff ever putting ice in that basketball arena. It was a stupid idea when alumni pushed for it two years ago. It's still a stupid idea.

UAA got what it could get after the rink on bragaw/n. lites got blown to oblivion. They made a choice to upgrade facilities for 7 teams. It's a bummer for hockey but the net positive is that they'll have pretty much the entire WFSC to themselves. That will be a significant opportunity to take over spaces previously filled by the D2 teams and turn those spaces into training facilities for the hockey team. It's not the optimal outcome for hockey but the benefit shouldn't be overlooked. It isn't a lot maybe but it isn't nothing either.

Comment

Myopic, overly self-indulged and self-interested hacks are hacks. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
              No game ice on campus is better than an arena where the floor switches between a basketball floor and an ice rink. Such things are fine for giant commercial/public arenas in big cities where experienced and well paid crews get er done. In Anchorage it would likely mean going from one of THE BEST sheets of ice in ALL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY to average or less than average quality. Eff ever putting ice in that basketball arena. It was a stupid idea when alumni pushed for it two years ago. It's still a stupid idea.

UAA got what it could get after the rink on bragaw/n. lites got blown to oblivion. They made a choice to upgrade facilities for 7 teams. It's a bummer for hockey but the net positive is that they'll have pretty much the entire WFSC to themselves. That will be a significant opportunity to take over spaces previously filled by the D2 teams and turn those spaces into training facilities for the hockey team. It's not the optimal outcome for hockey but the benefit shouldn't be overlooked. It isn't a lot maybe but it isn't nothing either.
              There is going to be 5,000 sq ft of workout area in new arena and the wellfargo will go back to what it was built for .........Student rec. "wellness center".
              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                There is going to be 5,000 sq ft of workout area in new arena and the wellfargo will go back to what it was built for .........Student rec. "wellness center".
                So are you saying they aren't going to build the new wellness center? Because that is the only hope of getting a separate venue for hockey.
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Were you at the table with Shyiak (the preseason picnic) when he said he didn't want to be a part of the new arena and that he wanted the WF completely renovated just for hockey? He was really PO'd about the arena not including hockey and didn't want to have anything to do with it.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Were you at the table with Shyiak (the preseason picnic) when he said he didn't want to be a part of the new arena and that he wanted the WF completely renovated just for hockey? He was really PO'd about the arena not including hockey and didn't want to have anything to do with it.
                    I wasn't at that table but Daves not at the table now.
                    We've got a new guy and I have no idea how he feels about any of it.
                    Don't think I'll ask him about it either.
                    He's probably got a full plate trying to get his feet on the ground and the immediate needs of getting to know the team, recruiting etc.
                    Etc. probably includes family matters, transportation, basic stuff that takes time to get lined up.
                    His plate is probably overfull right now without throwing the political BS on top of it.
                    We don't know who the AD will be so kinda hard to know how she/he will feel about it.
                    Think I'll give it a rest for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                      I wasn't at that table but Daves not at the table now.
                      We've got a new guy and I have no idea how he feels about any of it.
                      Don't think I'll ask him about it either.
                      He's probably got a full plate trying to get his feet on the ground and the immediate needs of getting to know the team, recruiting etc.
                      Etc. probably includes family matters, transportation, basic stuff that takes time to get lined up.
                      His plate is probably overfull right now without throwing the political BS on top of it.
                      We don't know who the AD will be so kinda hard to know how she/he will feel about it.
                      Think I'll give it a rest for a minute.
                      Point taken. I am just curious if anything was in the works for renovating the WF? You seem to be "in the know", you haven't heard anything?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Point taken. I am just curious if anything was in the works for renovating the WF? You seem to be "in the know", you haven't heard anything?
                        The Wells Fargo will be renovated as soon as the Alaska Airline Center is done and the recreation can move to new arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                          The Wells Fargo will be renovated as soon as the Alaska Airline Center is done and the recreation can move to new arena.
                          Thanks.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

It would be nice if they could work something out that would be affordable, to use the Sully for a few practices per week so they could practice on home ice. If money is in the budget, the WFSC enhancements would be great. Is that being worked?

Comment

I am just curious if anything was in the works for renovating the WF?

This probably won't answer that question, but UAA put up a "new construction blog" last month to discuss ongoing and upcoming construction projects, road closures, and anything else you wanted to know about "construction projects @ UAA" but didn't know who to ask...

http://uaaconstruction.blogspot.com

I'm kind of curious about the what they'll do with the area that the gymnasium is in right now once it moves out?

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
                                I'm kind of curious about the what they'll do with the area that the gymnasium is in right now once it moves out?
                                Or maybe they'll just leave that area as it is?

Wells Fargo Center layout: http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/recreation...plex/index.cfm

Comment

Working...
                                X