This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Sounds like a good hire for UAA. I hope things work out well for the program.
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Ballpark figures would have his ECHL income around $100,000 plus vehicle & housing.
      Where did u find this? I looked all over for this info and generally it's not disclosed, but the sites that did have salaries listed say $3000 a month plus housing.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        Where did u find this? I looked all over for this info and generally it's not disclosed, but the sites that did have salaries listed say $3000 a month plus housing.
        I worked in the league for several years. My best man coached in the ECHL. Now I am not saying all coaches are in that salary range, but for a guy with Matt's experience and record, that would be a good ballpark figure. It may even be a bit on the conservative side. $3,000 a month plus housing? There are quite a few players making that, over or under the table.
        Last edited by davyd83; 06-19-2013, 01:04 PM.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          I worked in the league for several years. My best man coached in the ECHL. Now I am not saying all coaches are in that salary range, but for a guy with Matt's experience and record, that would be a good ballpark figure. It may even be a bit on the conservative side. $3,000 a month plus housing? There are quite a few players making that, over or under the table.
          That's what I thought, but I double checked the info at this website and it listed coaches and assistant coaches. It was for 2007, but salaries can't have changed that much in 5 years. Maybe it was a typo.
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I can't say that I am disappointed by the hire. He's young and motivated and hopefully has a good pulse on the players. Good luck Coach!
            GO SEAWOLVES!

Comment

I also like the hire and the more I read about Coach Matt the better I like the hire. This link gives some additional information on his young family: http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d.../-1/A_SPORTS04
              Upper Deck Fan

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                That's what I thought, but I double checked the info at this website and it listed coaches and assistant coaches. It was for 2007, but salaries can't have changed that much in 5 years. Maybe it was a typo.
                Gotta be a typo. The assistant was my roomie at one spot and made about that year round.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I bet it was significantly less than he's getting at UAA.
                  Pretty sure you're right Suze. Chatted with someone with our local ECHL organization. (Why not. He's a neighbor who's dog won't stay out of my garden! )

Davyd in MI had his own source, but the Aces guy I spoke with got a chuckle when I asked if the salaries of an ECHL head coach and (in the case I gave him, an Aces coach) are the same.

"Try half" is what I was told.

I have no clue how the ECHL works and if coaches vary THAT much in salary? I wouldn't think so though. Especially here -- not with these owners. They treat their coaches, office staff, players... all employees.. unbelievably. They'd never go under whatever the minimum is. They wouldn't cheat & go over a cap either, but no way the Aces owners one pay one penny less than anyone else is making. I've always wondered why every player that comes up here loves it so much, and 'm guessing it's because the owners know how to treat 'em?

So I dunno! Confused But from what I was told. No way is it even close to be the same. "Around half" is much more realistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
                    Pretty sure you're right Suze. Chatted with someone with our local ECHL organization. (Why not. He's a neighbor who's dog won't stay out of my garden! )

Davyd in MI had his own source, but the Aces guy I spoke with got a chuckle when I asked if the salaries of an ECHL head coach and (in the case I gave him, an Aces coach) are the same.

"Try half" is what I was told.

I have no clue how the ECHL works and if coaches vary THAT much in salary? I wouldn't think so though. Especially here -- not with these owners. They treat their coaches, office staff, players... all employees.. unbelievably. They'd never go under whatever the minimum is. They wouldn't cheat & go over a cap either, but no way the Aces owners one pay one penny less than anyone else is making. I've always wondered why every player that comes up here loves it so much, and 'm guessing it's because the owners know how to treat 'em?

So I dunno! Confused But from what I was told. No way is it even close to be the same. "Around half" is much more realistic.
                    There is a great variance depending on the franchise, market, experience, etc. I'm basing it upon the coaches I've known and worked with. The lowest paid of which was around $60k his first year as a head coach. You could be right on with what someone may be making there.

Comment

The UAF police have finished their investigation of the Haddad/Shyiak incident:

The UAF police department reached a different conclusion than UAA's former athletic director after investigating a 2011 incident in which UAA's former hockey coach hit a player.

Dave Shyiak "possibly" committed a misdemeanor assault when he used a hockey stick to slash a player across the thighs during practice, according to a written report by the UAF police.

No charge will be forwarded for prosecution because the victim, former player Nick Haddad, doesn't want to pursue it, UAF investigator Steve Goetz said in the report.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/06/19/294600...#storylink=cpy

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Not that it makes a difference but I am under the impression Thomas has a degree from RIT? Correct?
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          Not that it makes a difference but I am under the impression Thomas has a degree from RIT? Correct?
                          I know he played there so I am assuming that he does.
                          Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Thomas has a degree in criminal justice/pre law from rit
                            Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                              Thomas has a degree in criminal justice/pre law from rit
                              That should help if he has to deal with Dumb and Dumber.
                              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I still wonder why Blair wasn't kept on staff?
                                After Coach Shyiak was let go, they removed the hockey coaches section on the Seawolves website. You could click on it.. but it was just a blank page.

Now that it's back up and they've updated it to add Matt Thomas as head coach, they also have Blair Campbell on there. Probably a typo by whoever updated and restored it.. but for right now anyway, Campbell is on there.

http://www.goseawolves.com/SportSele...73&SPSID=58452

Comment

Working...
                                X