X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
    OK, that is a good hire. I am totally on board with this hire. Glad to see something finally positive happen.
    Congrats to Matt Thomas, a Great day to be a Seawolf.
    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 06-18-2013, 03:46 PM.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Called.It.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        Called.It.
        Yep, you did.. but didn't you tie it in with the Alaska Aces somehow?

In any event, Congratulations Coach Thomas!!!

Comment

Well, I found out that even if we want ice at the Alaska Airlines arena, it will not happen. Too far along in construction to make happen unless UAA spends lots of money. Also, two things were supposed to happen this summer: new glass at the Sullivan arena, and more parking spaces by asphalting two baseball fields. Does anyone know if either is happening up there?

Comment

Good luck, I don't think he's in my top 3 of the finalists but what do I know?
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
              Well, I found out that even if we want ice at the Alaska Airlines arena, it will not happen. Too far along in construction to make happen unless UAA spends lots of money. Also, two things were supposed to happen this summer: new glass at the Sullivan arena, and more parking spaces by asphalting two baseball fields. Does anyone know if either is happening up there?
              Not sure about the glass, but I haven't seen any thing in preparing to asphalting any of Kosinski fields. You'd think it would've started already.

Go wolves
              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                I spoke with the Contract Administrator for the Muni about new glass because I have been harping on this for a while now. She said it's not on the schedule of repairs for 2013. They are replacing the HVAC system and other "structural repairs" within the facility. I do know that Cobb was telling people it would happen this summer, but when I asked Deb Fitzgerald about this she said that was not true.

It's great to finanally have a new coach! Welcome coach Thomas!
                Originally Posted by aparch
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Well we have a new coach. It'll be interesting to see how things go from here.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    Well we have a new coach. It'll be interesting to see how things go from here.
                    It will be key for Thomas to hire an experienced college assistant.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      No it won't. It will be key for him to hire someone that gives the program credibility to local recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        That's what I have been thinking too. Thomas has been out of the college realm for some time now. I still wonder why Blair wasn't kept on staff?
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                          I spoke with the Contract Administrator for the Muni about new glass because I have been harping on this for a while now. She said it's not on the schedule of repairs for 2013. They are replacing the HVAC system and other "structural repairs" within the facility. I do know that Cobb was telling people it would happen this summer, but when I asked Deb Fitzgerald about this she said that was not true.
                          Yep.. the floor in there was all torn up for a while, but I'm not sure if they're done or not yet?

*****http://i291.***********.com/albums/ll300/bluemontana/0bda986f-c10c-4e47-8eff-2c42d66ebae3_zps491a062e.jpg******

Funny thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago and I actually thought about you Suze during the conversation I had! I was in a business lobby downtown and our illustrious mayor walks in and sits down a few seats away from me. First time I've met Dan Sullivan, but I figured.. how often does something like this happen? So I walked up to him and here's exactly how the conversation went:

me: So, when is the Sullivan Arena going to be renovated?
                          DS: What do you mean? It's being.. we're putting new pipes in now..
                          me: We need new glass for starters.
                          DS: I think we're putting in new glass this summer.
                          me: That's not what I heard. I heard it wasn't in the budget right now.
                          DS: No, I'm pretty sure they're....
                          me: ....and the center-ice scoreboard is antiquated and needs to be replaced.
                          DS: People don't care about esthetics, they care more about the structure.
                          me: Well, the place needs a facelift.
                          DS: The seats are in great shape.
                          me: ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Those ugly yellow seats are tattered and filthy!
                          DS: I sit in the red seats.
                          me: I'll bet you sit in the blue seats.
                          DS: No, I'm in row (blah, blah, blah) in the red seats. (He gave me his row and seat numbers)
                          me: When's the last time you looked at the yellow seats up close?
                          DS: Like I said, no one cares about esthetics. As long as they work, that's all that matters.
                          me: Next time you're in there, walk down to the yellow seats and check them out.
                          DS: Next year we're tearing down a section of Mulcahy ballpark to expand the parking area.
                          me: I thought that was supposed to be done last year?
                          DS: Next year.
                          me: So are we at least getting new glass?
                          DS: I think so.... I thought we were... I know we're getting new pipes though. And they re-did the locker rooms and the public bathrooms.
                          me: Yeah, years ago.

Anyway, I figure I got the guy flustered enough.. so I walked off. I honestly did think about you though when I was asking him about the glass!!

Comment

• Originally posted by altazo View Post
                            He's got a better gig at Adrian. Probably makes similar money too...
                            If he does, that's a great D3 salary. Most in Minnesota/Wisconsin make in the $65,000-75,000 range.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
                              Yep.. the floor in there was all torn up for a while, but I'm not sure if they're done or not yet?

*****http://i291.***********.com/albums/ll300/bluemontana/0bda986f-c10c-4e47-8eff-2c42d66ebae3_zps491a062e.jpg******

Funny thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago and I actually thought about you Suze during the conversation I had! I was in a business lobby downtown and our illustrious mayor walks in and sits down a few seats away from me. First time I've met Dan Sullivan, but I figured.. how often does something like this happen? So I walked up to him and here's exactly how the conversation went:

me: So, when is the Sullivan Arena going to be renovated?
                              DS: What do you mean? It's being.. we're putting new pipes in now..
                              me: We need new glass for starters.
                              DS: I think we're putting in new glass this summer.
                              me: That's not what I heard. I heard it wasn't in the budget right now.
                              DS: No, I'm pretty sure they're....
                              me: ....and the center-ice scoreboard is antiquated and needs to be replaced.
                              DS: People don't care about esthetics, they care more about the structure.
                              me: Well, the place needs a facelift.
                              DS: The seats are in great shape.
                              me: ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Those ugly yellow seats are tattered and filthy!
                              DS: I sit in the red seats.
                              me: I'll bet you sit in the blue seats.
                              DS: No, I'm in row (blah, blah, blah) in the red seats. (He gave me his row and seat numbers)
                              me: When's the last time you looked at the yellow seats up close?
                              DS: Like I said, no one cares about esthetics. As long as they work, that's all that matters.
                              me: Next time you're in there, walk down to the yellow seats and check them out.
                              DS: Next year we're tearing down a section of Mulcahy ballpark to expand the parking area.
                              me: I thought that was supposed to be done last year?
                              DS: Next year.
                              me: So are we at least getting new glass?
                              DS: I think so.... I thought we were... I know we're getting new pipes though. And they re-did the locker rooms and the public bathrooms.
                              me: Yeah, years ago.

Anyway, I figure I got the guy flustered enough.. so I walked off. I honestly did think about you though when I was asking him about the glass!!
                              LOL, he sounds clueless. I did my best working with my contact in his office, but it was like beating my head against the wall. The bathrooms are a mess, the sidewalks need repair, the announcers booth ceiling needs to be fixed, and did they ever fix the leaky roof? It needs a major overhaul. The fact that he thinks nobody cares about esthetics is unreal.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                                No it won't. It will be key for him to hire someone that gives the program credibility to local recruits.
                                Psssst....I'll let you in on a little secret. He gets to hire two assistants! He must hire someone that has experience recruiting the USHL and Western Canada. Someone with local ties as well would be a big help. But passing on a coach who is a good coach and can recruit for a face could be negative. That guy has to be able to recruit outside Alaska. If a coach is from outside comes in, he needs to get out in the community and get known. What was Davis Payne's connection before he joined the Aces? He had none. But he got into the community and became quite highly regarded by the time he left.
                                Last edited by davyd83; 06-18-2013, 07:15 PM.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X