This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Politics! We've got BILLIONs to give no strings attached to the oil companies. We can build engineering facilities and programs at UA_ and UAA because the oil companies want the engineers they produce.
    The oil companies, their subsidiaries and companies that profit from doing business with them are the ones who make the bulk of the contributions to the politicians who control the purse strings of all those state BILLIONs.
    Where do you suppose ice rinks rank in the politicians big scheme of getting re-elected?
    Exactly, that's why we've got the Carlson and Sully and the oil companies have the BILLIONs no strings attached.
    I forgot the practice ice at Wells Fargo.
    Last edited by Seawolf Fan; 06-17-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      HA! That's really true, but there were better applicants to choose from if you ask me, and other UAA fans.
      Certainly possible. I actually don't know enough about the Division I assistants and Hartzell to have an opinion of them, so my comments aren't Fogarty-specific. That said, whenever openings arise such as here or the previous one at Tech, it seems many fans (and administrations, quite frankly) automatically discount Division III guys for reasons that are based in nothing. There are some out there that I have zero doubt would succeed in Division I. A few in particular would excel tremendously and I would hire them in an instant with little fear of failure. As a Wisconsin (sort of) guy, there are a few out there that if hired, I'd confidently bet my life on the fact they could bring more success to Madison than Eaves has.

Only point really is that just because a guy is from Division III doesn't mean he shouldn't be taken seriously. There are some (maybe not a lot, but some) guys that could coach circles around an abundance of DI guys. The next school that figures that out and picks the right one...could very well end up with the next Gwoz.
      Last edited by XYZ; 06-18-2013, 12:33 AM.
      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
        Certainly possible. I actually don't know enough about the Division I assistants and Hartzell to have an opinion of them, so my comments aren't Fogarty-specific. That said, whenever openings arise such as here or the previous one at Tech, it seems many fans (and administrations, quite frankly) automatically discount Division III guys for reasons that are based in nothing. There are some out there that I have zero doubt would succeed in Division I. A few in particular would excel tremendously and I would hire them in an instant with little fear of failure. As a Wisconsin (sort of) guy, there are a few out there that if hired, I'd confidently bet my life on the fact they could bring more success to Madison than Eaves has.

Only point really is that just because a guy is from Division III doesn't mean he shouldn't be taken seriously. There are some (maybe not a lot, but some) guys that could coach circles around an abundance of DI guys. The next school that figures that out and picks the right one...could very well end up with the next Gwoz.
        That may all be true, but UAA got really, REALLY burned the last time they hired a DIII coach. They may be a bit gun shy this time around because of that.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
          Politics! We've got BILLIONs to give no strings attached to the oil companies. We can build engineering facilities and programs at UA_ and UAA because the oil companies want the engineers they produce.
          The oil companies, their subsidiaries and companies that profit from doing business with them are the ones who make the bulk of the contributions to the politicians who control the purse strings of all those state BILLIONs.
          Where do you suppose ice rinks rank in the politicians big scheme of getting re-elected?
          Exactly, that's why we've got the Carlson and Sully and the oil companies have the BILLIONs no strings attached.
          I forgot the practice ice at Wells Fargo.
          You forgot the Patty Center ice in Downtown College, Alaska. the Dumpers are Playing Mercyhurst Oct. 25rh & 26th in Downtown Collage,Alaska if your in _airbanks drive over.
          Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 06-18-2013, 03:13 AM.
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            Maybe one day the powers at UAA will come to understand that at this level you get what you pay for ... But it is not this day.

Unfortunate but very true. This coaching change was a viable opportunity to make a statement and find a "name" that would bring instant credibility and with that the Tier 1 recruits who are the difference makers in Division 1 hockey. The State of Alaska is full on no BS flush with money and it would have been no sweat off anyone's balls to spend 300K for a coach.

But noooooooooo ...

But this is what you get when you put conservative former generals turned conservative ineffectual bureaucrats in charge of stuff. It is the height of anti-creative insipidly boring thinking.

It is the Pat Gambles of this world which have killed everything good and will one day push it into an abyss of darkness and misery never before experienced by humankind.
            If you want the coach to be well-paid, then get the booster group to supplement the salary. 98% of the taxpayers in any state don't give a darn about a college hockey program. Why stick them with the bill. Put your money where your mouth is.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
              Word is that Fogarty withdrew from consideration late last week.
              He's got a better gig at Adrian. Probably makes similar money too...

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                He's got a better gig at Adrian. Probably makes similar money too...
                I know Adrian supporters are very happy with his decision.
                Bulldog fans have had more to celebrate in six years than UAA nation have had in twenty.

As an Adrian supporter I was worried we were going to lose him.
                The challenges of the UAA position had many similarities to those that Fogarty took on when he started the Adrian program.
                The one big exception being... the huge and passionate fan base.

I sincerely hope UAA fans get the coach they want, and that the administration supports him, and enables him to deliver a winning program.

Good luck Seawolves !!

Go Bulldogs !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                  If you want the coach to be well-paid, then get the booster group to supplement the salary. 98% of the taxpayers in any state don't give a darn about a college hockey program. Why stick them with the bill. Put your money where your mouth is.
                  What you fail to grasp is that EXACTLY ZERO of the money the state has came out of ANY citizens pocket. There are no taxpayers up there.
                  Last edited by uaafanblog; 06-18-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                    What you fail to grasp is that EXACTLY ZERO of the money the state has came out of ANY citizens pocket. There are no taxpayers up there.
                    Every tax dollar comes out of the citizens' pockets, whether you have a state income tax or don't. The corporations are taxpayers. Money they pay in taxes is money they don't give to their employees. "Government money" doesn't come from the government - it comes from the people, either directly or indirectly. Now that we've covered Politics 101, the point remains, When did it become the job of government to give you a highly paid coach? Is that in the Alaska State Constitution? If you want your coach to be paid a lot of money, do what countless booster groups around the country do, and get out your own wallet and make it happen.

Comment

Several sources have Tweeted that UAA will name a coach as early as today. Good luck!
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Several sources have Tweeted that UAA will name a coach as early as today. Good luck!
                        It's official now. Matt Thomas is new UAA coach
                        Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

• Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                          It's official now. Matt Thomas is new UAA coach
                          KTUU has an article posted. Congratulations on the hire.
                          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            KTUU has an article posted. Congratulations on the hire.
                            Thanks
                            Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

OK, that is a good hire. I am totally on board with this hire. Glad to see something finally positive happen.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                                If you want your coach to be paid a lot of money, do what countless booster groups around the country do, and get out your own wallet and make it happen.
                                UAA pays the coaches measly salary. But to take care of the “Talent Fee add-on ” is up to the Alums, time to write that check. Darryl Thompson spend all that money your assn. saved by not supporting your members. Girls High School Hockey program which you let die with even a whimper to the Anchorage School Board. Which will kill the Girls High School experience state wide . Ashley Reed lobby all your rich buddy’s or call the governor and raise the Coaching staff compensation at UAA to be the premier in the country.
                                Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 06-18-2013, 03:04 PM.
                                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                                X