X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    Interesting. I thought Cobb was fired by Pat Gambell, but I guess he was fired by Case.
    I presume ol' patsy will make another knee jerk “Command Decision” and fire anybody in the system for questioning his shining resolution by speaking out on his lapdog administration skills.
    http://www.adn.com/2013/06/13/293879...ity-shows.html
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Tonight's fan/booster meet and greet was larger than others but that isn't saying much because the people who have been showing up are the hard core hockey fans-that believe in the concept of the student athlete and the program. I went to four of these this time (missed Tuesday and Wednesday because I was out of town for work). I was out of state for Corbett's first visit but had heard good things. I liked Corbett a lot tonight. He was realistic that this year is going to be basically working with what is already there, that he wants a "play to win" rather than a "play to not lose" attitude, but that he can work with what we have and change it to a winning program. He brought up an interesting item that he was here when he played for Denver (during the Brush years) and that he remembers the Sully rocking and the horn blowing. That is what he wants to bring back. So it isn't the arena that has been the reason for the lack of attendance.

Each of the potential coaches came in and were solid but at this time, with what has happened recently with the program, we need someone to rebuild and restore and while there were others I think could do it, Corbett came out as my front runner of the ones that I saw. I do have to say that I really like Matt Thomas and if he had some more recent NCAA experience, he would have popped up really close to the top of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by kamariek View Post
        Tonight's fan/booster meet and greet was larger than others but that isn't saying much because the people who have been showing up are the hard core hockey fans-that believe in the concept of the student athlete and the program. I went to four of these this time (missed Tuesday and Wednesday because I was out of town for work). I was out of state for Corbett's first visit but had heard good things. I liked Corbett a lot tonight. He was realistic that this year is going to be basically working with what is already there, that he wants a "play to win" rather than a "play to not lose" attitude, but that he can work with what we have and change it to a winning program. He brought up an interesting item that he was here when he played for Denver (during the Brush years) and that he remembers the Sully rocking and the horn blowing. That is what he wants to bring back. So it isn't the arena that has been the reason for the lack of attendance.

Each of the potential coaches came in and were solid but at this time, with what has happened recently with the program, we need someone to rebuild and restore and while there were others I think could do it, Corbett came out as my front runner of the ones that I saw. I do have to say that I really like Matt Thomas and if he had some more recent NCAA experience, he would have popped up really close to the top of my list.
        Did he say "So it isn't the arena that has been the reason for the lack of attendance", or are those your words? Or were you paraphrasing? Because if Corbett said this I must say I'm not impressed. When he played for DU during the Brush years the Sully was one of the better arenas. That is no longer the case. Of course the arena has something to do with the teams lack of success. If you play in the worst arena in the league, you are not going to get the best players. If you don't get at least SOME of the best players you aren't going to have sustained success. If you lose year in and year out attendance will suffer. So yes, the arena does indeed play into the attendance issue.

On the other hand, if Squarebanks can win in that bleacher filled dump, then I guess UAA should be able to win in the Sully.
        Last edited by Suze; 06-15-2013, 12:51 AM.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Paraphrasing. I went to the Sully during those years and it wasn't pretty then and it isn't pretty now. Let's be up front here, we aren't getting an ice arena on campus any time soon. When Elmore gets punched out to Northern Lights, an ice arena will probably be looked at again but even this road is getting a lot of flack from the people who don't want to ruin the parkland. Remember that where they wanted to put the ice arena was opposite East High at the corner of what would have been Elmore and Northern Lights and there was a lot of flack about that-enough to shoot down what was being aimed for.

I like hockey, I like it a lot with college hockey being my favorite. At this point, I am being optimistic that the program is going to continue and going to be a winning program. And I don't think a winning program depends on the arena, but an arena depends on a winning program. With everything that has happened within the past two months, I want to focus on having the program continue and becoming winners.

Comment

Originally posted by kamariek View Post
            Paraphrasing. I went to the Sully during those years and it wasn't pretty then and it isn't pretty now. Let's be up front here, we aren't getting an ice arena on campus any time soon. When Elmore gets punched out to Northern Lights, an ice arena will probably be looked at again but even this road is getting a lot of flack from the people who don't want to ruin the parkland. Remember that where they wanted to put the ice arena was opposite East High at the corner of what would have been Elmore and Northern Lights and there was a lot of flack about that-enough to shoot down what was being aimed for.

I like hockey, I like it a lot with college hockey being my favorite. At this point, I am being optimistic that the program is going to continue and going to be a winning program. And I don't think a winning program depends on the arena, but an arena depends on a winning program. With everything that has happened within the past two months, I want to focus on having the program continue and becoming winners.
            You're right, a LOT of things have to happen before they even think about building a separate ice arena. Personally I don't think it will ever happen. I've heard that the new engineering building has to be built first, so it's a long ways off, if ever.
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

You're right, a LOT of things have to happen before they even think about building a separate ice arena. Personally I don't think it will ever happen. I've heard that the new engineering building has to be built first, so it's a long ways off, if ever.
              You need to "come to town" more often........Engineering building started but......you are right with things unfolding it might never happen. btw First game this year will be played on campus, just enough room for the students and a splatter of supporters.
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                You need to "come to town" more often........Engineering building started but......you are right with things unfolding it might never happen. btw First game this year will be played on campus, just enough room for the students and a splatter of supporters.
                I also think enhanced curricula and quality degree programs will help bring in better players. What is four years in college worth if you don't get a skill you can use later in life or use as a stepping stone to your goals--be they hockey at a higher level or an advanced degree. Guys like engineering so the enhanced programs may make them look twice.

Comment

People don't stay away from the Sullivan for UAA Hockey because the Sully isn't some architectural masterpiece full of amenities. FFS ... Not having an on-campus arena for the program is a bummer. It keeps the program and the resident students from connecting. Townies don't go because the program isn't winning.

Anchorage is AS BIG a bandwagon sports fan town AS ANY city in the USA. It's a freaking bandwagon sports country people ... come on.

People don't pay to see UAA Hockey because the risk/reward ratio is poor. They want a win for their 15 bucks. They cannot appreciate the game and the effort of the student-athlete for what it is. These are the effing morons that pushed Cobb out because in their petty bandwagon minds he was equal to Gary Bettman. It's the same as the effing morons calling for Bruce McLeod's head as if he was the person running the WCHA (what I like to call "reactionary twats") ... they have squat for critical thinking abilities. He wasn't. The AD's and in some cases University Presidents were responsible for whatever issues the WCHA had. McLeod (much like Bettman) is there to coordinate between the decision makers and at times moderate between them for sake of the league.

I'd personally like to see a ton more push back from valued community contributors. I keep seeing this NONSENSE in the paper about how the glorious alumni (some of whom I know and like but are obviously reactionary twats) raised 100,000 bucks over the last 10 years. Nearly all of that money came from the annual golf tournament. It's time for Mike Peluso to show up and knock some alumni heads together. It's time to look at what the heck these effing moron bandwagon reactionary twats have wrought and correct it. Apologize to Cobb and give him his job back if he'll take it.

Doyle Woody has done the second most damage single-handedly in decreasing attendance after not winning. Shut the ADN out. Bar them.

D-1 hockey players by and large DO NOT pick schools based on the available programs. Sure, there are more than a few cases of good/great students making that their primary choice. But the majority (and it's not a small majority) of players are in school to further their hockey careers and the secondary benefit of having any degree makes it a win/win for them ... no matter the school.

None of the potential next UAA coaches will be game changers for the things that need to be fixed. Those are for the most part all institutional problems. If they learn anything from all this stupid effing crappola of the last couple of months then they'll increase the hockey budget by at least 50 percent ... throwing money at these problems will be the first step to fixing the institutional issues.

The main point here is that the effing morons that are running things right now (the bandwagon twerps) don't know crap about spit.

Comment

You mean the exhibition game?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

You mean the exhibition game?
                      yep

Comment

yep
                        Actually the atmosphere should be great, nice and loud.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

So Suze you shout a "LOT of things have to happen", what are they? Don't leave us in suspense.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            People don't stay away from the Sullivan for UAA Hockey because the Sully isn't some architectural masterpiece full of amenities. FFS ... Not having an on-campus arena for the program is a bummer. It keeps the program and the resident students from connecting. Townies don't go because the program isn't winning.

Anchorage is AS BIG a bandwagon sports fan town AS ANY city in the USA. It's a freaking bandwagon sports country people ... come on.

People don't pay to see UAA Hockey because the risk/reward ratio is poor. They want a win for their 15 bucks. They cannot appreciate the game and the effort of the student-athlete for what it is. These are the effing morons that pushed Cobb out because in their petty bandwagon minds he was equal to Gary Bettman. It's the same as the effing morons calling for Bruce McLeod's head as if he was the person running the WCHA (what I like to call "reactionary twats") ... they have squat for critical thinking abilities. He wasn't. The AD's and in some cases University Presidents were responsible for whatever issues the WCHA had. McLeod (much like Bettman) is there to coordinate between the decision makers and at times moderate between them for sake of the league.

I'd personally like to see a ton more push back from valued community contributors. I keep seeing this NONSENSE in the paper about how the glorious alumni (some of whom I know and like but are obviously reactionary twats) raised 100,000 bucks over the last 10 years. Nearly all of that money came from the annual golf tournament. It's time for Mike Peluso to show up and knock some alumni heads together. It's time to look at what the heck these effing moron bandwagon reactionary twats have wrought and correct it. Apologize to Cobb and give him his job back if he'll take it.

Doyle Woody has done the second most damage single-handedly in decreasing attendance after not winning. Shut the ADN out. Bar them.

D-1 hockey players by and large DO NOT pick schools based on the available programs. Sure, there are more than a few cases of good/great students making that their primary choice. But the majority (and it's not a small majority) of players are in school to further their hockey careers and the secondary benefit of having any degree makes it a win/win for them ... no matter the school.

None of the potential next UAA coaches will be game changers for the things that need to be fixed. Those are for the most part all institutional problems. If they learn anything from all this stupid effing crappola of the last couple of months then they'll increase the hockey budget by at least 50 percent ... throwing money at these problems will be the first step to fixing the institutional issues.

The main point here is that the effing morons that are running things right now (the bandwagon twerps) don't know crap about spit.
                            I had a problem with your cussing on your blog. Thought it lessened your effectiveness. We can all say F---. Didn't always agree with your point of view.
                            But you do know a left wing lock when you see it. And you do understand the UAA hierachy, among other things.
                            I couldn't agree more with the above quote had I been capable of writing it myself.
                            Go gettem!

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                              So Suze you shout a "LOT of things have to happen", what are they? Don't leave us in suspense.
                              Roads have to be approved by the DOT, then punched through. There needs to be access to the Umed District from N. Lights and Bragaw. Unless something has changed in the past few months, there is no funding for the Student Rec & Wellness Center and this is where an ice arena would go. The last I heard is that the 2014 election might have an education bond that the Rec Center could be a part of.

Look how many years it took UAA to get the AK Airlines Arena built. There is no money approved for a new facility, so use your imagination.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by terloc View Post
                                I also think enhanced curricula and quality degree programs will help bring in better players. What is four years in college worth if you don't get a skill you can use later in life or use as a stepping stone to your goals--be they hockey at a higher level or an advanced degree. Guys like engineering so the enhanced programs may make them look twice.
                                If you're talking about hockey recruits coming to be engineers, I'm going to dispute that. UAH is a high-end engineering school, and very few of our players — and this goes back all 16 years I've been affiliated with the school — are engineers. It's on the order of 2-3%, which roughly means one guy a season. (Right no, it's Mat Hagen, who actually left Finance for Civil Engineering.) When we were Division II, this wasn't the case, as players who weren't good enough for D-I but were very smart and were D-II caliber athletes would come to UAH for engineering, but even then, it was never anything close to a majority. I'd say that 80%+ of our athletes are business majors over the last 16 years.

They can't all be Joe Juneau.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X