PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

uaafanblog
07-09-2013, 09:17 PM
There is no reason that this years team shouldn't get to .500 or better. There is a relatively veteran returning lineup and plenty of guys that can score given the right gameplan. Matt Bailey is capable of putting up big numbers with the right linemates. The new atmosphere itself has got to be good for a coupla wins.

We cannot begin to judge any success or failures as due to Thomas but he seems like he'll be a positive at this point.

4four4
07-10-2013, 12:31 PM
There is no reason that this years team shouldn't get to .500 or better. There is a relatively veteran returning lineup and plenty of guys that can score given the right gameplan. Matt Bailey is capable of putting up big numbers with the right linemates. The new atmosphere itself has got to be good for a coupla wins.

We cannot begin to judge any success or failures as due to Thomas but he seems like he'll be a positive at this point.

The WCHA will be a really competitive league from here on out in my opinion even more than years past.

Pink Pony
07-10-2013, 04:06 PM
The WCHA will be a really competitive league from here on out in my opinion even more than years past.

Yes you are right

camilo
07-10-2013, 07:10 PM

yea, teams can make huge turnarounds with a change of coach. I can give lots of examples, but two that come to mind are this year's Mankato Mavs team and one you're familiar with, the Alaska Nanooks. New coach, new brain, new style, new attitude, success. Makes a huge difference with early 20's kids and hockey at college level is a lot about desire, motivation, etc. Mental game and all that.

Have all that and a talent pool and you're contending for the national title. Have that and some hard working "journeymen" kids, and you break .500 and get home ice, maybe a trip to the NCAA and a chance for an upset or two.

uaafanblog
07-10-2013, 09:29 PM
It is always guess work with incoming freshman but I am hoping that a freshman forward or two can turn in better than average rookie years and/or even excel. Hudson Friesen got some good scouting reports before he committed so I'm hoping for him to make a bit of noise. Coupla other rooks have real solid resumes as well and could contribute.

I really expect Blake Tatchell to have an excellent soph season, he's got a set of skills very suited to the college game (think ... Kevin Clark). Scott Allen and Brett Cameron have not quite lived up to their goal scoring potential. And I really think Matt Bailey will look like a man amongst boys this year if the coach can get him off the wall and into the slot.

AlaskaRox
07-10-2013, 11:25 PM
For some reason I was thinking they were already underway in the search for the new AD, but looking at the UAA job site, the position just opened today.. July 10th.. or yesterday if you're on the east coast.. :cool:

https://www.uakjobs.com/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1373515589321

seawolfpunk
07-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Anyone read Brett Camerons bio? Looks like he may have 2 more seasons instead of one. I'm guessing we will find out when the roster is finalized

ninelives
07-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Anyone read Brett Camerons bio? Looks like he may have 2 more seasons instead of one. I'm guessing we will find out when the roster is finalized

I talked to him last season and he said they were trying to redshirt him for the season because of his injury. I looked at his bio from the seawolf athletics page and it listed his Junior year as being red shirted....gives him another year of eligibility I believe

seawolfpunk
07-12-2013, 02:10 PM
I talked to him last season and he said they were trying to redshirt him for the season because of his injury. I looked at his bio from the seawolf athletics page and it listed his Junior year as being red shirted....gives him another year of eligibility I believe

yeah i had heard that rumor and am glad it is true. i do agree with DD that he hasn't been the goal scorer that we all thought he would be coming out of juniors, maybe a new system helps that out. He & Bailey played really well together there 1st year together and I'd like to see them back together.

my one plea to coach thomas is to try and recruit 2 AK goalies to play for us in the years to come, and they are Eric Scheirhorn (a long shot in my opinion) and Nick Kulmanovsky from fairbanks (can't see him going to uaf unless one of there goalies leave).

But first get a assistant coach.

GO Wolves GO.

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer.

seawolfpunk
07-12-2013, 02:55 PM
One more thing. Looks like there will be an interview with coach Thomas on ktby on Sunday night at 930 with John Thompson.

AlaskaRox
07-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Looks like there will be an interview with coach Thomas on ktby on Sunday night at 930 with John Thompson.

Thanks for the head's up SWP! Don't think I've ever listened to KTBY, but I'll figure it out.. :p

AlaskaRox
07-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Looks like they'll also be public input on July 24th regarding the hiring of a new AD ~ :)

http://www.adn.com/2013/07/12/2972780/head-hunters-alumni-boosters-will.html

4four4
07-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Looks like they'll also be public input on July 24th regarding the hiring of a new AD ~ :)

http://www.adn.com/2013/07/12/2972780/head-hunters-alumni-boosters-will.html

If possible they should hire some one with a little experience dealing with a hockey program.

Suze
07-12-2013, 09:24 PM
If possible they should hire some one with a little experience dealing with a hockey program.

Ya think? I'm confident they will hire an excellent AD.

kamariek
07-13-2013, 07:37 PM
http://www.uscho.com/2013/06/27/thomas-starting-anew-with-alaska-anchorage-coaching-position/

I hadn't gone to USCHO's main page in a while so I didn't see the above article when it came out on 6/27. Checked to see if anyone else posted it here and it didn't appear that anyone did. It is a good, positive article about Thomas.

Alaska Hockey
07-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Bobbi Olson will be all over that I'm sure.;)

seawolfpunk
07-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Bobbi Olson will be all over that I'm sure.;)

I thought she cut ties with the program.

ninelives
07-15-2013, 01:41 PM
One more thing. Looks like there will be an interview with coach Thomas on ktby on Sunday night at 930 with John Thompson.

Anyone watch the interview last night, i wasn't able to catch it and was wondering how the interview went, what was discussed, etc.....

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
07-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Story on new UAA assistant Josh Ciocco
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2013/7/15/4526920/alaska-anchorage-hockey-coach-matt-thomas-josh-ciocco-assistant-wcha-ncaa-uaa-seawolves

AlaskaRox
07-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Story on new UAA assistant Josh Ciocco

Wow, thank you for sharing that CHRR! Nothing locally has even been released about the hire... you beat them all to it! ~ :)