X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    When you go 145-20-6 you can take as many smart penalties as you want.
    Some of those penalties we've taken aren't the smartest, though. I made no bones about that as we went along.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      That will be taken care of once Howard Schultz donates $50 million to the WCHA and puts a Starbucks in every arena...
      Yes I am in process of contacting Mr Schultz and Starbucks.NCHC has big rinks and tv contract, but the WCHA is going to have Starbucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
        When you go 145-20-6 you can take as many smart penalties as you want.
        Am I to glean that you were impressed with him then?
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
          I am pretty certain that Fogarty was not interested in the MTU job.
          I've got to know him since he arrived at Adrian. He started the youth hockey program for the youth (and our son) here and has his players helping out on weekends. He has won here every year and his program has sparked not only the other teams but the city.
          Come to think of it - I hope Alaska doesn't touch him too.
          \\

Good Division three coaches don't get enough credit. Gwoz was a Division three coach at one time.

Really what is the difference between a Division three head coach and USHL head coach?

Comment

"... I don't know how to trap so I can't teach it. I'm all go." - Fogarty

Fogarty doesn’t teach/coach the trap. But the Seawolves can’t rely solely on clutch & grab. He is of no use to UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
              "... I don't know how to trap so I can't teach it. I'm all go." - Fogarty

Fogarty doesn’t teach/coach the trap. But the Seawolves can’t rely solely on clutch & grab. He is of no use to UAA.
              Go away.
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                \\

Good Division three coaches don't get enough credit. Gwoz was a Division three coach at one time.

Really what is the difference between a Division three head coach and USHL head coach?
                The paycheck.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The latest ADN article is posted, and once again it is NOT written by Doyle Woody. Maybe our emails didn't fall on deaf ears after all. Well, one can hope!

http://www.adn.com/2013/06/12/293754...-25-years.html

Snippet:

Though Hartzell is still getting to know UAA's program, he said bad news travels, and he is aware of some aspects he would change. Without going into specifics, Hartzell said the key to recruiting good players is making current players happy.

"There's pieces of the program that have to improve, because the players know it," Hartzell said. "The greatest recruiter is a great program."

Coaching junior hockey, Hartzell has been on the other end of the college recruiting conversation, helping kids decide where to play. One of the first things he told his players to do was call anyone they knew who played for a prospective program and see what kind of reviews the program generated.

"They are your greatest recruiters, not the coach," Hartzell said. "Don't ever let anyone tell you the coach is a recruiter. Your players and your alumni are your greatest recruiters, and the problem has to be solved there before it can be solved anyplace else."

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                    Go away.
                    Suze watch out ………………..He Knows Ashley Reed
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

\\

So if there is any movment he might get a job?
                      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I agree with Hartzell that happy players are great recruiters.
                        I strenuously disagree with his team taking a slew of penalties.
                        Penalties killed more Seawolf games than I care to remember.
                        "Gritty" in Hartzell's mind equates to taking more penalties than the other team?
                        This guy is hired and we sit through innumerable 5 on 4's.
                        Our team gets the "dirty" banner hung on them.
                        He's not my guy.

Comment

\\

USHL coaches are directly involved in the D-I player development and recruitment process. Only three of Fogarty's players played at a level considered a stepping stone to NCAA D-I hockey. Three more played in the NAHL, where the better players usually move up to the USHL before being D-I players. The connection to key recruiting areas is strong with USHL coaches.

Now with Fogarty, he does have D-I assistant experience, so that would help his transition.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            USHL coaches are directly involved in the D-I player development and recruitment process. Only three of Fogarty's players played at a level considered a stepping stone to NCAA D-I hockey. Three more played in the NAHL, where the better players usually move up to the USHL before being D-I players. The connection to key recruiting areas is strong with USHL coaches.

Now with Fogarty, he does have D-I assistant experience, so that would help his transition.
                            This is simply not true. Every player on Adrian's NCAA roster was productive in a junior league that places players on D1 rosters. The same can be said for St. Norbert, Oswego, Norwich, Plattsburgh, etc.

The gap between the top D3 teams and lower tier D1 teams is not as large as some would like to believe. Buff State (an average D3 team) beat Penn State, as did Neumann. Norwich lost by one goal to Dartmouth (and I believe outshot them.) Adrian won at Alabama Huntsville.

The worst thing possible for UAA recruiting would have been to play a team like SNC, Norwich, UWEC, or Adrian last season because I don't think their results would have been particularly impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                              This is simply not true. Every player on Adrian's NCAA roster was productive in a junior league that places players on D1 rosters. The same can be said for St. Norbert, Oswego, Norwich, Plattsburgh, etc.

The gap between the top D3 teams and lower tier D1 teams is not as large as some would like to believe. Buff State (an average D3 team) beat Penn State, as did Neumann. Norwich lost by one goal to Dartmouth (and I believe outshot them.) Adrian won at Alabama Huntsville.

The worst thing possible for UAA recruiting would have been to play a team like SNC, Norwich, UWEC, or Adrian last season because I don't think their results would have been particularly impressive.
                              Yes they do place players on D-1 rosters, but they are not the prime recruiting spots for top notch D-I talent. Are there good D-3 teams? Absolutely, and Adrian is one of them. Is there the occasional upset? Sure there is. Those also happen in football and basketball as well. Would Adrian or St Norbert win a few games playing a whole season against D-I competition? Sure. But you'd likely be able to count those victories on one hand at the end of the year.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                                I agree with Hartzell that happy players are great recruiters.
                                I strenuously disagree with his team taking a slew of penalties.
                                Penalties killed more Seawolf games than I care to remember.
                                "Gritty" in Hartzell's mind equates to taking more penalties than the other team?
                                This guy is hired and we sit through innumerable 5 on 4's.
                                Our team gets the "dirty" banner hung on them.
                                He's not my guy.
                                What am I missing here? It's not Hartzell's teams that take a lot of penalties, it's Fogarty's team that were averaging seven a game last season, and who referred to his team as being "abrasive".

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X