X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Jesus of Suburbia View Post
    I think Alaska Anchorage has a hard time convincing players to go to Alaska. There is a lot of travel and not a lot day light in the winter.
    I disagree. That is a horrible excuse not to come to a school, espcially since uaf seems to be doing well.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
      I disagree. That is a horrible excuse not to come to a school, espcially since uaf seems to be doing well.
      The way I look let say Nebraska Omaha, Minnesota State, & Northern Michigan offer a player a spot. The travel might be consider and plus UAA always seems to be one of the lowest ranked teams in the WCHA. I think the new WCHA might help UAA improve in the rankings which will attract more players. Fairbanks has been doing well recently which might help them attract better players.

Comment

With that important step completed now we'll get to see just how committed the University and specifically Steve Cobb are; to once and for all finally take the next step to begin building a winning program.

I've said it before and here it comes again. Hiring another coach in the Shyiak-mold isn't going to change anything. To find a coach that can bring in the necessary talent is going to cost some money. I keep saying around $300K ... with every dollar you spend less than that you're going to get a lesser coach. That sort of money should attract a "name" that potential recruits can recognize and want to come play for. Personally, I think they should do everything possible to bring someone in from outside the existing college hockey fraternity. Please, no "up and coming" or "promising" assistants from other programs for $120K or $150K. The problems UAA has are not fixable by someone like that. If they were then Shyiak probably would have had more success.

The program is foundering. The only way it gets righted is by winning. The only way it starts winning is by getting more talent. The only way it gets more talent is to have a coach that talented kids cannot pass up an opportunity to play for. This will likely not be accomplished by launching a national search. It might be a good idea for Cobb to bring in a consultant to help him with this process. There are former NHL coaches who's resume's could be nicely enhanced by a 3 or 4 year (highly successful) stint at an NCAA school. This is I feel the best way forward.

The next coach should be someone short-term (a "transition" coach) ... 3 year contract; someone that can immediately turn the team around. Do not try to hire a coach who will be there for the next 20 years. That guy should be hired after someone comes in and turns the program around in the next 3-4 years. A fast turnaround isn't going to happen with some highly prized current D1 assistant who has great systems and is a good recruiter. An immediate turnaround is only going to happen with a big name who can immediately attract some elite recruits. It could happen if you poached an active big name coach from another D1 school but that's an unlikely scenario. In any case, it starts with the $$$. Pony it up Cobb. If you don't, then you'll only propagate the status quo.
        Last edited by uaafanblog; 03-29-2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
          Link?

ETA: Never mind, my fellow brony got it.
          A brony always knows "Link or SierraTangoFoxtrotUniform!"
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            With that important step completed now we'll get to see just how committed the University and specifically Steve Cobb are; to once and for all finally take the next step to begin building a winning program.

I've said it before and here it comes again. Hiring another coach in the Shyiak-mold isn't going to change anything. To find a coach that can bring in the necessary talent is going to cost some money. I keep saying around $300K ... with every dollar you spend less than that you're going to get a lesser coach. That sort of money should attract a "name" that potential recruits can recognize and want to come play for. Personally, I think they should do everything possible to bring someone in from outside the existing college hockey fraternity. Please, no "up and coming" or "promising" assistants from other programs for $120K or $150K. The problems UAA has are not fixable by someone like that. If they were then Shyiak probably would have had more success.

The program is foundering. The only way it gets righted is by winning. The only way it starts winning is by getting more talent. The only way it gets more talent is to have a coach that talented kids cannot pass up an opportunity to play for. This will likely not be accomplished by launching a national search. It might be a good idea for Cobb to bring in an a consultant to help him with this process. There are former NHL coaches who's resume's could be nicely enhanced by a 3 or 4 year (highly successful) stint at an NCAA school. This is I feel the best way forward.

The next coach should be someone short-term (a "transition" coach) ... 3 year contract; someone that can immediately turn the team around. Do not try to hire a coach who will be there for the next 20 years. That guy should be hired after someone comes in and turns the program around in the next 3-4 years. A fast turnaround isn't going to happen with some highly prized current D1 assistant who has great systems and is a good recruiter. An immediate turnaround is only going to happen with a big name who can immediately attract some elite recruits. It could happen if you poached an active big name coach from another D1 school but that's an unlikely scenario. In any case, it starts with the $$$. Pony it up Cobb. If you don't, then you'll only propagate the status quo.
            I see you're still in CrazyLand. UAF won't get $300k for a coach yet you somehow UAA will? Former NHL coaches?

*****http://pinkie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw8911-seriously.png******
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I know that if I was a college recruit I'd want to go to UAA and play for a coach who likely won't be around for my senior year.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I sure hope Cobb get's a two sentence press release when he gets his *** canned!

--Dre

Don't forget to vote for the next coach or send your suggestions:
                http://hockeytownak.blogspot.com/2013/03/loading.html

Cobb will certainly need some help!
                Last edited by drcobbmustgonow; 03-30-2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Sorry D...Herb Brooks couldn't get top recruits to UAA. I can see it now..."and over here we have our weight room, umm...coach, isn't this a squash court? " We will never get top recruits, the best we can do is smart recruits. Get an up and coming coach and put the extra money, you'd like to throw at a former NHL coach, towards scouting for diamonds in the ruff.

Comment

Originally posted by drcobbmustgonow View Post
                    Sorry D...Herb Brooks couldn't get top recruits to UAA. I can see it now..."and over here we have our weight room, umm...coach, isn't this a squash court? " We will never get top recruits, the best we can do is smart recruits. Get an up and coming coach and put the extra money, you'd like to throw at a former NHL coach, towards scouting for diamonds in the ruff.
                    It's my understanding that the new sports complex will be used as training for ALL the athletes. So even though it does not have ice, it has the other facilities that were sorely needed. That should help draw recruits.
                    Originally Posted by aparch
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

zaSuze this is this first semi-positive thing I've ever heard you post......Hope you keep it up and improve on it...Us Seawolves need and deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by drcobbmustgonow View Post
                        I suppose most people assume that the great thing about the world is that everybody is entitled to their opinion.

If you really don't think that any coach can bring the recruits UAA needs to build a winning program then I'm really unsure as to how you think any change in management personnel (coach or admin) will make a difference in the program. Are we just supposed to accept that UAA will never be competitive because of where it is? The "finding a dimond in the rough" philosophy has been tried; Brush had limited success, Talafous less so, John Hill had a wee bit of luck with that and Shyiak has only had moderate success doing so.

Exactly how does some "up and comer" make this process happen? The truth about recruiting is that the most elite players want to go to a program that has had success or to play for a coach that has the reputation to put them in the show. This is why Minnesota and Wisconsin and Denver and even CC outrecruit UAA. Those schools have either a tradition of success or a coach players feel can enhance their future careers. An "up and comer" can't give any of that to a recruit. I am not one to just accept that those schools (and plenty of others not mentioned) are going to get the known elite players and hope that the coach of the team I cheer for can find the missed players that are diamonds in the rough. That's a helluva burden on some coach anyway ... "you go and find the players that proven coaches have missed and build me a successful team". Such a challenge is a fools errand.

As it is the players that come to UAA are guys that by and large didn't get approached by more successful programs. Once in a while those guys are going to turn out to be studs but that is more the exception than the rule. Maybe you guys just hope to have the success that UAF has had. For me, that's not enough. There is an opportunity afoot to make a substantial change to the program. Finding a "name" and paying him the necessary wage is the best way forward. Beyond doing that there is one option that makes sense. Find someone who can keep the elite local players that go elsewhere at home. If you look around the NCAA and see Alaskan players contributing to success and imagine that those kids could be at UAA instead of Denver, CC, Notre Dame or wherever then you've got something.

I think a local hire could accomplish that and do it for substantially less than the 300K that I keep mentioning. But that's still a big task. Kids that grow up in Alaska can easily be understood to have a desire to play college hockey outside the state. UAA isn't some incredibly attractive educational institution. What would you rather have hanging on your wall? Graduated from Notre Dame or UAA?

This is why I'm advocating for something outside the box. I'll support a local guy ... hire Corey Millen and I'm all good. Hire Dennis Sorenson and I won't be disappointed. Hire Derek Lalonde and I promise you'll get the status quo; a competitive season once in a while with lots of non-NCAA years. This program should be focused on getting into the NCAAs every year. Anything less is unacceptable. Nothing against "up and comers" but they cannot make the difference at UAA. Find Mike Keenan's number (or someone similar) and give him a serious sales pitch. Who knows what might happen with someone like that?

Be bold.

Comment

Good luck to UAA on their national search for their next coach. It is a fun, though occasionally agonizing process.

Shyiak will undoubtedly land somewhere as an assistant once again; it sounds like the next coach will also battle the same lack of institutional support.

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                            I disagree. That is a horrible excuse not to come to a school, especially since uaf seems to be doing well.
                            UAF seems to be doing well? They haven't had a coach that was over .500 in his term at the school since Don Lucia left 20 years ago. Horrible excuse or not, travel is a factor among players who have options for lesser travel.

As far as the coaching change, it's obvious the problems run far deeper than the name on the coach's office door. Shyiak actually had a better record than anyone else since Brush hung it up. Were these guys all poor hockey coaches?
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              UAF seems to be doing well? They haven't had a coach that was over .500 in his term at the school since Don Lucia left 20 years ago. Horrible excuse or not, travel is a factor among players who have options for lesser travel.

As far as the coaching change, it's obvious the problems run far deeper than the name on the coach's office door. Shyiak actually had a better record than anyone else since Brush hung it up. Were these guys all poor hockey coaches?
                              http://www.uscho.com/stats/coach/mid...llas-ferguson/

Ferguson, is pretty **** close. If he has the same record next season, his record will be .500.
                              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post

I was referring to the lack of daylight excuse the guy made, not the travel. As far as uaf is concerned, they may not be a powerhouse but they have made the NCAA in the last 5 years and fergusons record is damm close to .500 winning percentage.
                                Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Working...
                                X