X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Alaskana View Post
    Sigh. I think we ALL want nothing more than for the UAA Seawolves Hockey team to meet their maximal potential. What is obvious is that there is a HUGE
    disconnect in how that is to be achieved. As for myself, over the years I have entertained various camps of thought but for the most part I have privately hoped for a coaching change, and with recent events, now an AD change. Regarding the latter point, yes I acknowledge that changing our AD won't have an immediate or monumental effect in that the UA system is set up in such as way as to render the powers of the AD somewhat impotent, but still I am of the utmost conviction that ultimately an AD change must be made if UAA hockey is to reach its full potential.

To me our current AD has made countless blunders that deserve our criticism and scrutiny. Obviously those that feel Cobb are doing a passable job are going to defend him, but just the same those of us that don't are going to CALL HIM OUT! So no, we aren't going to 'go away' or 'accept things as they are'. We're going to be a vocal lot until things change. Yeah, I'm not going to deny that may be some years to come. But please, don't tell us to 'sit down and shut up'. And now with TWO votes of no confidence from respectable Alaska hockey associations, one can not ignore what is going on with public sentiment in the state of Alaska! Bury your head in the sand if you will, but the jury is out on Cobb, and it's NOT GOOD!

*Sorry for the caps and emotional sentiments, I'm just extremely passionate about this matter and while normally I'm pretty passive, this has riled me up something good. I do respect and appreciate all of you fellow Seawolf fans' opinions*. This will be my last post on this subject for quite some time. United we stand, divided we fall!*
    As for the finalist for the head coaching job; it doesn't matter to me who they hire. I fully expect all of them to say "the right" things in public and during their private interviews. Whoever gets the job is going to have to get results if they expect me (and i hope many others) to back them for more than the length of their first contract. So I don't really have an opinion on any of them. I laid out who I thought should get the job.

As for my seeming defense of Cobb ... I've heard the same arguments about him for at least 5 years. Here's the thing. Problems in our world almost never have simple answers. And they are almost never due to a single factor. We humans though want easy answers. It's much easier to point a finger of blame than to examine often complex problems. Pointing the finger allows us to get back to watching the TV and making dinner. Complexity gives us a headache. So whenever I sense that, I try to spend more time than the average bear looking for the real causes. And like I said, I've spent years and years pondering the "Cobb issue". So that's where that comes from. Could Cobb have done some things differently? Yep. But when you objectively measure the man's performance over the breadth of is responsibilities you have to give him a B+. And if you took hockey completely out of the grading he'd be pretty **** close to an A+. And yes ... I know we hockey fans don't care about the other sports. Too bad their existence adds a level of complexity to the situation ... right? Let's hope the "no-confidence" votes help in some manner but I don't see where they'll accomplish much.

Lastly, winning would fix all this noise. All of it.

Here's what I project the top 12 forwards to look like next year ... Bailey, Tatchell, Allen, Kwas, Cameron, Friesen, Stenerson, Trupp, Hubbs, Rassell, Dusyk, Roy ... I think that can give the Seawolves a couple of pretty strong lines that will match up well depending on how you utilize the veterans. My suggestion for lines would be ...

Bailey-Tatchell-Cameron
    Allen-Friesen-Kwas
    Roy-Stenerson-Trupp
    Hubbs-Rassell-Dusyk

That puts everyone in their natural position except Zach Rassell who I'm putting at center. I don't see Bobby Murphy or Andrew Pettitt being regular starters. Maybe one of the other freshman (Duwe, Oberzarnek) can compete for ice-time but based on their past playing experience I have lots of doubts.

The defense should be solid. They might not have performed to a high level last year but there's some solid talent back there. Docken and Sproule are solid as can be. Chris Williams has loads of potential in all zones (he really really impressed me) and Sevalrud, Leask and Coldwell all have scoring potential in spades. Matthews looked fine in his limited time and I think there's potential there but I haven't seen enough of him yet but with only 7 D men on the roster he'll get lots of chances this season.

Gunderson and Kamal should have their best seasons and with a new coach Matyas has a fresh chance to earn a starting role. Who knows, maybe he can beat them both out of the job and be the "go to" guy?

I don't see that lineup as being a last place team in the new league. There's 13 returning skaters that project to be starters. Not a low number by any means. Let's start off hoping for .500?
    Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-24-2013, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskana View Post
      Sigh. I think we ALL want nothing more than for the UAA Seawolves Hockey team to meet their maximal potential. What is obvious is that there is a HUGE
      disconnect in how that is to be achieved. As for myself, over the years I have entertained various camps of thought but for the most part I have privately hoped for a coaching change, and with recent events, now an AD change. Regarding the latter point, yes I acknowledge that changing our AD won't have an immediate or monumental effect in that the UA system is set up in such as way as to render the powers of the AD somewhat impotent, but still I am of the utmost conviction that ultimately an AD change must be made if UAA hockey is to reach its full potential.

To me our current AD has made countless blunders that deserve our criticism and scrutiny. Obviously those that feel Cobb are doing a passable job are going to defend him, but just the same those of us that don't are going to CALL HIM OUT! So no, we aren't going to 'go away' or 'accept things as they are'. We're going to be a vocal lot until things change. Yeah, I'm not going to deny that may be some years to come. But please, don't tell us to 'sit down and shut up'. And now with TWO votes of no confidence from respectable Alaska hockey associations, one can not ignore what is going on with public sentiment in the state of Alaska! Bury your head in the sand if you will, but the jury is out on Cobb, and it's NOT GOOD!

*Sorry for the caps and emotional sentiments, I'm just extremely passionate about this matter and while normally I'm pretty passive, this has riled me up something good. I do respect and appreciate all of you fellow Seawolf fans' opinions*. This will be my last post on this subject for quite some time. United we stand, divided we fall!*
      My thoughts exactly! I completely agree with your sentiments as well

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        2 votes of no confidence. I'm pretty sure Dr. Cobb has got the message. In addition to getting it first hand (I'm assuming both organizations sent a copy to him) I'm pretty sure Spindle and Case have let him know.
        You'll either see him bending over backwards to include and accomodate both organizations or you'll see his head roll.
        That being said, how does anyone think a negative rant on this board is going to get him fired? It isn't.
        Cobb "getting the message" doesn't mean much since he's "gotten the message" from the Alumni and other hockey groups before. That hasn't done much good obviously. It would be great to see some bending over backwards for this program, but I'll believe it when I see it

I admire your passion for this program and it's great to have another strong supporter of UAA hockey on here but keep in mind that we each have our own thoughts and there are simply going to be some decisive issues among fans about how the program is run...

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
          Cobb "getting the message" doesn't mean much since he's "gotten the message" from the Alumni and other hockey groups before. That hasn't done much good obviously. It would be great to see some bending over backwards for this program, but I'll believe it when I see it

I admire your passion for this program and it's great to have another strong supporter of UAA hockey on here but keep in mind that we each have our own thoughts and there are simply going to be some decisive issues among fans about how the program is run...
          Even if Cobb were to retain his job, I believe the fracture between he and the hockey community is too great to mend. As for other "blunders", there are plenty, and I have mentioned several here on the USCHO. Let's not forget about the free airfare fiasco concerning the Shoot Out ... something nobody has ever answered for. It was a complete and utter failure - did you see all the empty seats? What a waste of money! Casey Reynolds was talking about this on his radio show yesterday, basically calling Cobb a liar since he said he didn't know anything about it's inception ... yet said if anyone had questions about the process to contact him. It was a boondoggle plain and simple.

How about our stupid mascot? The mascot was changed with NO input from the student body ... read the article in the Northern Light about it.

http://www.thenorthernlight.org/2008...dstudentinput/

The new design for the Seawolf mascot, Spirit, was unveiled at the 2008 Kendall Hockey Classic with mixed feelings. The cuddly, furry and kid-friendly wolf was gone and replaced with a muscular, green and white creature that now resembles the actual 2-D Seawolf logo.

The decision to change the mascot’s design was not implemented by UAA students but was enacted by the UAA athletic department. Athletic Director Steve Cobb said that they had been thinking of changing the logo for a long time.

The new mascot design received no student input. Instead, the athletic department made a decision to contract an outside artist to design how the generic 2-D logo would look with angles, volume, and depth. All across campus, student reactions to the mascot have been different but according to the athletic department, the design was not for the sole purpose of trying to look good, there was a specific reason to its makeover.

Although the new Seawolf mascot is been better from a marketing perspective, the under 20,000 students that it represents had no say in its change. UAA has a creative and diverse student population, many of whom would be interested in helping change the design. Ultimately, the athletic department should have considered the opinion and input of students before making such a drastic change.
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Something else that doesn't sit right with me is all the double talk about a facility on campus for hockey. I was told by the Nerlands (who were very instrumental in getting the current arena built), that they were working on getting plans going for a student recreation and wellness center that would have a hockey facility for UAA. This was in February of 2012. The Northern Light posted an article titled "UAA Football Hopes Fall Short", (October 2012) and here's a quote from that article:

Cobb also mentioned the desperate need for a student-only recreation center.

“We are the largest school in the nation that has not built a recreational center for their students. It’s embarrassing for me,” said Cobb.

While UAA’s new recreation center will not be entirely for students only, students will have notable priority to the building over the community.

“Right now, it’s in the backdoor stages,” Cobb said.

Cobb shared that plans for the recreation center are only in the preliminary draft stages.

While the details of the building are all tentative, Cobb did disclose that the building should contain a pool, basketball court and track.

The recreation center should also showcase a weight room, a rock-climbing wall and an ice rink that will double as a turf field.
            Here's the link: http://www.thenorthernlight.org/2012...es-fall-short/

Does that make sense to you? An ice rink that doubles as a turf field? Does that sound like an arena the hockey team would be playing in????
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Not positive however I think Morris & Kowal had a year left on their contract and Cobb was too cheap to buy them out. Shyiak didn't want either of them and handled it poorly. It was one of the few times Shyiak, in my opinion, lacked class. Blair wanted out of Maine and Shyiak hired him as soon as he could. The second UAA assistant (basicly grunt work under shyiak) has been a revolving door.
              I might be wrong but I think all assistant coaches are on a year by year contract university wide.
              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

This is not a loaded challenge.
                Put Cobbs "countless blunders" up here.
                The only ones I've heard is he didn't put ice in the building and he's pushed the hockey elite away by not putting them on the search committee.
                Not making light of either of those things because they are not insignificant.
                But my count is 2.
                If there are "countless blunders" they haven't been posted here or I have missed them.
                If heads are buryed in the sand it is the folks that refuse to acknowledge the reality that this thread is not going to get Cobb fired.
                That reality is this thread is not going to get Cobb fired. Now pull your head out of the sand and if you are so set on having him fired go do it. But you're not not going to accomplish that here.
                You have a better chance of accomplishing your goal through an association than beating that dead horse here.
                So did you attend the Corbett meet and greet?? and are you going to come to the next 3??
                I'm looking forward to your observations on the meet and greets.
                I understand the displeasure the Alums and the Alaska State Hockey Association has but I think they need to keep their fire going but redirect it to who writes the checks. First go to the Alaska University Regents as a courtesy and when they get the “You don’t need it as we need to keep UA_ going as it props up _airbanks” song and dance then storm the Anchorage legislative offices and demand a meeting with them. That’s where it all starts …..Top of the ladder, as long as their feet are not held in the fire nothing is going to get done with either an Ice Arena or upgrades to the campus to improve the “campus life of UAA”.
                Case in point why does UA_ have over 1900 dorms for 5,500 students and UAA has only 930 dorms for 15,500 students?
                Why doesn’t UAA have a Student Recreation Center? _airbanks has one for their 5,500 students.
                Also see you tonight and next week as we hear the rest of the candidates.
                Only 10 alums on Monday night … like all organizations 5-10 % run the whole thing.
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                  I understand the displeasure the Alums and the Alaska State Hockey Association has but I think they need to keep their fire going but redirect it to who writes the checks. First go to the Alaska University Regents as a courtesy and when they get the “You don’t need it as we need to keep UA_ going as it props up _airbanks” song and dance then storm the Anchorage legislative offices and demand a meeting with them. That’s where it all starts …..Top of the ladder, as long as their feet are not held in the fire nothing is going to get done with either an Ice Arena or upgrades to the campus to improve the “campus life of UAA”.
                  Case in point why does UA_ have over 1900 dorms for 5,500 students and UAA has only 930 dorms for 15,500 students?
                  Why doesn’t UAA have a Student Recreation Center? _airbanks has one for their 5,500 students.
                  Also see you tonight and next week as we hear the rest of the candidates.
                  Only 10 alums on Monday night … like all organizations 5-10 % run the whole thing.
                  Were the players at the meeting with Corbett? I saw Haider, Todd Christiansen and Patrick.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                    Were the players at the meeting with Corbett? I saw Haider, Todd Christiansen and Patrick.
                    He said he met with them earlier in the day.

Comment

Something else that doesn't sit right with me is all the double talk about a facility on campus for hockey. I was told by the Nerlands (who were very instrumental in getting the current arena built), that they were working on getting plans going for a student recreation and wellness center that would have a hockey facility for UAA. This was in February of 2012. The Northern Light posted an article titled "UAA Football Hopes Fall Short", (October 2012) and here's a quote from that article:

Here's the link: http://www.thenorthernlight.org/2012...es-fall-short/

Does that make sense to you? An ice rink that doubles as a turf field? Does that sound like an arena the hockey team would be playing in????
                      Football...never going to happen.
                      As for a turf field there was talk of turfing over the Wellsfargo rink when the new arena was built.

Comment

Anyone attending the Whitten meet & greet tomorrow? I wish we weren't so far away!
                        Now that you are a "Valley Girl" you can take the big pink "Valley Mover" bus to town.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                          Now that you are a "Valley Girl" you can take the big pink "Valley Mover" bus to town.
                          At least I don't live in strip mall Wasilla!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

OK, does anyone know that if they made a Change order today to add ice to new arena if in theory can happen? Or are we past point of no return?

Suze, I hope you are not mad at me for any reason. Going to email you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                              OK, does anyone know that if they made a Change order today to add ice to new arena if in theory can happen? Or are we past point of no return?
                              I doubt it as "change order's" are a contractor's dream money wise and that would be a redesigning nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                                Nope, I'm not mad at you. Why would I be? I hope I didn't give you that impression. We have always agreed to disagree, haven't we?
                                Last edited by Suze; 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X