X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    I spoke with alumni who played juniors for him and they say he's "the guy"
    I saw a blip of the event on tv and it looked pretty crowded. Corbett seemed like he was sincere about turning our program around.. Guess all four of them will say something similar to that effect.

Thanks for stopping in! You'll be doing it three more times, right?

Comment

Whoever is hired should have Dennis Sorenson in mind for the assistant opening. I have no idea if Dennis would be interested but his ties to the local hockey community for recruiting top kids would be a step forward. If he isn't the alumni that Corbett is hinting about I'd be surprised but I think there are others that would bring the same cachet to the position. Corey Millen of course comes to mind ... he obviously is a Minnesota Alum but has craploads of years tied to the Anchorage hockey scene and who knows with his Minnesota resume' could find a kid or two from there as well. Keith Morris wouldn't be a bad choice either ... there are several other names that I could throw out which would also be helpful recruiting local kids.

Comment

As an aside to all this discussion .... Michael Stenerson led the Surrey Eagles to the league playoff championship with 8 goals and 12 assists in 17 games. Those totals were #1 in the league. Former Seawolf Sam Mellor had 4 goals and 9 assists in 15 playoff games for runner-up Penticton. Uncommitted Surrey Eagles forward Brady Shaw scored 32 goals with 29 assists in 42 games this past season. I know the Seawolves probably don't need another forward for next year but this Brady kid is 20 and somebody in D1 should get on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          As an aside to all this discussion .... Michael Stenerson led the Surrey Eagles to the league playoff championship with 8 goals and 12 assists in 17 games. Those totals were #1 in the league. Former Seawolf Sam Mellor had 4 goals and 9 assists in 15 playoff games for runner-up Penticton. Uncommitted Surrey Eagles forward Brady Shaw scored 32 goals with 29 assists in 42 games this past season. I know the Seawolves probably don't need another forward for next year but this Brady kid is 20 and somebody in D1 should get on him.
          Brady Shaw decommitted from Bentley last week. I'm sure many big time D1's are on him...

Comment

No...but he is part of the problem and is the only one with the title Athletic Director. He has made enough blunders to be shown the door. The 12th ranking is great! It's really great to see such strong Track and Field teams in Alaska. It's just a natural fit. A golf team should next...cheap individual sport that has equal men and women playing. Should solve his Title IX issues.

Cobb was given a blank check to come up with a facility meet all the needs of the university, he chose to leave ice out of the new arena. 80 mil proposal went o 109mill and didn't meet the needs of the university. --Dre

Comment

Originally posted by drcobbmustgonow View Post
              No...but he is part of the problem and is the only one with the title Athletic Director. He has made enough blunders to be shown the door. The 12th ranking is great! It's really great to see such strong Track and Field teams in Alaska. It's just a natural fit. A golf team should next...cheap individual sport that has equal men and women playing. Should solve his Title IX issues.

Cobb was given a blank check to come up with a facility meet all the needs of the university, he chose to leave ice out of the new arena. 80 mil proposal went o 109mill and didn't meet the needs of the university. --Dre
              The focus of this site is college hockey. My focus is UAA Hockey. Believe it or not there are sports other than hockey competing for a finite number of dollars. Are there Title IX issues? I'm not sure however I'm guessing the ladies Division 1 Gymnastics program is to balance the mens hockey program. Not a loaded question, what would you suggest Dr. Cobb do to solve "HIS" Title IX issues? I don't see all the blunders you see Dr. Cobb making. Everyone was happy with the Talafous hire.Then he turned out to be a jerk with a boring brand of hockey. However at the time of his hire the hockey community was glad to get him. People were overjoyed with the Hill hire. Let's cut to the chase on Hill. He left because his wife HATED Alaska. He said as he departed that Alaska was impossible to recruit to. And the Minnesota job paid as much or more. Shyiak was the logical choice at the time. He tried to mold the players to his system and it didn't work.
              Most of Dr. Cobbs problems are OUR problems. Simply put not enough money to compete at the highest level of college hockey.
              Our facilities suck. Need more money. Our coaches (plural) salaries are too low to attract elite prospects. Need more money. Title IX problems. Need more money.
              We should be more competitive in the new league because the need for money will not be as great as it was to compete with the Minnesotas, North Dakotas, Wisconsins, Denvers, etc.
              I liked what Corbett said last night about the facilities are what they are. Deal with it. Everybody wants "more" including him.
              Lets get off the fire Dr. Cobb bandwagon (it aint gonna happen) wasting our energies and get on our legislature to fund our university at the level it deserves.

Comment

The focus of this site is college hockey. My focus is UAA Hockey. Believe it or not there are sports other than hockey competing for a finite number of dollars. Are there Title IX issues? I'm not sure however I'm guessing the ladies Division 1 Gymnastics program is to balance the mens hockey program. Not a loaded question, what would you suggest Dr. Cobb do to solve "HIS" Title IX issues? I don't see all the blunders you see Dr. Cobb making. Everyone was happy with the Talafous hire.Then he turned out to be a jerk with a boring brand of hockey. However at the time of his hire the hockey community was glad to get him. People were overjoyed with the Hill hire. Let's cut to the chase on Hill. He left because his wife HATED Alaska. He said as he departed that Alaska was impossible to recruit to. And the Minnesota job paid as much or more. Shyiak was the logical choice at the time. He tried to mold the players to his system and it didn't work.
                Most of Dr. Cobbs problems are OUR problems. Simply put not enough money to compete at the highest level of college hockey.
                Our facilities suck. Need more money. Our coaches (plural) salaries are too low to attract elite prospects. Need more money. Title IX problems. Need more money.
                We should be more competitive in the new league because the need for money will not be as great as it was to compete with the Minnesotas, North Dakotas, Wisconsins, Denvers, etc.
                I liked what Corbett said last night about the facilities are what they are. Deal with it. Everybody wants "more" including him.
                Lets get off the fire Dr. Cobb bandwagon (it aint gonna happen) wasting our energies and get on our legislature to fund our university at the level it deserves.
                Well, I think like you said it comes down to money!

Comment

This pretty well sums it up. Need to get on your Legislature's case and tell them because to them …no news is good news. They respond to the masses. If everybody contacted them by phone or email or writing a letter or postcard it will make them get off the sofa bed in their office and deal with it.
                  As they say............. If not part of the solution you are part of the problem.
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I'll just say this one more time another way. Do the Cobb-haters really think that someone 3 rungs down from the real leadership at UAA is "given a blank check"? No. He isn't. Cobb's title is "Director of Athletics" ... He is one of NINE department heads working for Bill Spindle who is one of SIX Vice-Channcellor's working for the President. Does that help you understand the level of real power that Cobb doesn't have? There is no doubt he has a big say in what happens in his department and that his views are heard up the chain. But when push comes to shove the guy TAKES marching orders and marches. He categorically does not decide how 109 million dollars is spent. No single person at UAA does. Everything there is a cluster-**** mish-mash of probably a dozen people coming to a consensus on a big decision that impacts the university and community in the long term while University Presidents come and go seemingly every 4 years.

Here's why Cobb AINT GOIN NOWHERE ... He does what everyone above him TELLS him to do and NEVER puts the responsibility on THEM. At any point during this whole "no ice in the new facility" argument came up he certainly could have said "My hands are tied. This project was defined university-wide and not by the Athletic Department." But did/does he say that? No. Why? Because he's a good employee. Don't even concern yourself with UAA's D2 rise in Director's Cup standings and Cobb would still be "their boy". If I wrote a letter to Tom Case it would simply say, "Move the office of Athletic Director out from under the Deparment of Administration to the Vice-Chancellor level. Give your AD some autonomy and responsibility. Flatten your organization chart and empower your employees."

So yeah, forget about Cobb getting fired. That's so far from happening as to be a full on pipe dream.
                    Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Corbett said all the right things: fast, freewheeling game, no "system" just responsibilities, did I mention more speed?, guys need to want to wear the sweater, the facilities are what they are - deal with it, players and coaches involved in the community, don't step on any alumni financial toes, want high intensity, get the players involved with the students, no prima donnas, small steps, keep moving forward, did I mention more speed?, etc. etc. not a real polished speaker, however said all the right things and was convincing saying most of them.
                      I liked the guy and was suitably impressed with him and what he said. The other applicants are going to have to go some to measure up.
                      He's right, the facilities "are what they are" - for now. I hope that doesn't mean he'll be satisfied with the Sully over the long term. I know that Shyiak was very ticked that the new arena didn't include hockey (because I spoke with him about that at the preseason picnic) ... he didn't even want his players to use the new facility for workouts, conditioning, etc. Instead he wanted the Wells Fargo to be completely renovated for hockey alone. That never set well with me.

I just watched the recap of the meet & greet on channel 2, and Corbett mentioned he will take advantage of the new sports arena - which the hockey team will use for conditioning - as a positive recruiting tool, and that is how I have always viewed it as well. I was so glad to hear that!
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

yeah...your correct Cobb is "the guy" and I should probably back off. I don't know what I was thinking, he's done a great job and I should probably let his supervisors know he's just a pleasure to do business with. His passion for "hockey" in hockey a state is hard to beat.

We can agree on one thing..I like Corbett also and hope he get's the gig. I'll continue to buy season tickets for my family of five because I have a "passion" for college hockey. There are a lot of people in this town that do...hence the vote of "no confidence" by ASHA.

It's Cobb's job to advocate and bring the needs of a program to the surface i.e. Board of Regents. The Board tells the legislature what is needed for funding. Going directly to the legislature will get you nowhere. Apparently there needs to more advocating going on in the trenches, which I (and many others) think is Cobb's responsibility. Sorry if you disagree and I'm really sorry D if you think it's a pipe dream...but sometimes dreams become reality and I'm not going to sit back in silence as he continues to "support" the program like he has for the last 12 years.

There's a lot of "talk" about plans to strengthen the program...but absolutely nothing documented to hold anyone accountable. How convenient!

--Dre

Comment

yeah...your correct Cobb is "the guy" and I should probably back off. I don't know what I was thinking, he's done a great job and I should probably let his supervisors know he's just a pleasure to do business with. His passion for "hockey" in hockey a state is hard to beat.

We can agree on one thing..I like Corbett also and hope he get's the gig. I'll continue to buy season tickets for my family of five because I have a "passion" for college hockey. There are a lot of people in this town that do...hence the vote of "no confidence" by ASHA.

It's Cobb's job to advocate and bring the needs of a program to the surface i.e. Board of Regents. The Board tells the legislature what is needed for funding. Going directly to the legislature will get you nowhere. Apparently there needs to more advocating going on in the trenches, which I (and many others) think is Cobb's responsibility. Sorry if you disagree and I'm really sorry D if you think it's a pipe dream...but sometimes dreams become reality and I'm not going to sit back in silence as he continues to "support" the program like he has for the last 12 years.

There's a lot of "talk" about plans to strengthen the program...but absolutely nothing documented to hold anyone accountable. How convenient!

--Dre
                          Listening to your same rant over and over and over and over is not getting old, it is old. Please come up with something new.

Comment

Corbett had obviously done his homework. Knew the issues and presented himself well. It will be interesting to hear what the other 3 candidates have to say.

Comment

Listening to your same rant over and over and over and over is not getting old, it is old. Please come up with something new.
                              ...and your status quo rant is a breath of fresh air! I'll come up with something new as soon as UAA does.

hugs and kisses,

--Dre

Comment

...and your status quo rant is a breath of fresh air! I'll come up with something new as soon as UAA does.

hugs and kisses,

--Dre
                                Said like a person who has lost the argument. Your negative rant is outdated. And you've lost whether you realize it or not. Dr Cobb is here today and he'll be here tomorrow and he'll be here next year. If you can't handle the fact then maybe you should consider moving on to something that doesn't involve Dr Cobb. Wake up and move on to something positive. Or are you capable of coming up with something other than your same old losing rant?

Comment

Working...
                                X