X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Interesting the D1 assistants are up first. Says a lot about your AD's interest, IMHO.
    It could also have to do with scheduling issues for those involved and those involved in the selection process.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see who shows up for the alumni and also for the great unwashed.
      And will their interest be sustained through all four candidates.

Comment

Does anyone here know when Dr. Cobb's employment contract is up for renewal? Or does the UAA Athletic
        Director position not work on a contract basis and is more like a tenure situation? I am just wondering as
        there are are plenty of calls for his ouster (including the recent vote of no confidence by the Alaska State Hockey Association), but when is the soonest we could possibly see him being shown the door?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaskana View Post
          Does anyone here know when Dr. Cobb's employment contract is up for renewal? Or does the UAA Athletic
          Director position not work on a contract basis and is more like a tenure situation? I am just wondering as
          there are are plenty of calls for his ouster (including the recent vote of no confidence by the Alaska State Hockey Association), but when is the soonest we could possibly see him being shown the door?
          I believe it's more of a tenure situation. When will he be gone, your guess is as good as anyone else's.
          Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
            I believe it's more of a tenure situation. When will he be gone, your guess is as good as anyone else's.
            Ah, thanks for the info! Since it seems to be a tenure case, I'm guessing only extraordinary circumstances would lead to his ouster. I don't know if the vote of no confidence would be considered 'extraordinary', but I'm hoping the head honchos at UAA are paying attention to the negative public outcry regarding Cobb. It seems they've been reluctant to listen to the general public about Cobb, but they may care about the opinions of their peers in the Alaska state government.
            Last edited by Alaskana; 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I highly doubt his position is "tenured". It's like any other non-teaching job. It's a state job. I have never seen anything to indicate he has a "contract" per se. He is a state employee subject to the same sort of termination as any regular employee.

Anyway, firing Cobb will do nothing really (other than appease the public with a scape goat ... which at this point is understandable). This is an institutional problem. In short, Cobb reports to Bill Spindle who is the Director of Administration. The Athletic Departments budget goes through Spindle. Spindle reports to Case. Unless and until the AD position has real authority in budgeting you'll see nothing different. You have educational adminstrators overseeing athletics. They (defensibly) see the job of a university as educating students. They (foolishly imo) don't see athletics as contributing to that ethos in a significant way.

Cobb isn't the reason there isn't a hockey rink on campus. The State of Alaska is.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                I highly doubt his position is "tenured". It's like any other non-teaching job. It's a state job. I have never seen anything to indicate he has a "contract" per se. He is a state employee subject to the same sort of termination as any regular employee.
                Thanks for the additional info, Donald. I do agree that ultimately UAA's 'athletic problem' is more a result of the way the UA system is structured and until that framework is re-engineed even a change in AD may not result in substantive results in the W column for the hockey team.

Having said that I still think Cobb has been stunningly indifferent or incompetent in his handling of many areas of the hockey program and that he should be held responsible for it. A new hockey focused AD would bring vision and appreciation for UAA's flagship sport that has been absent from the club for years.
                Last edited by Alaskana; 04-22-2013, 02:57 PM.

Comment

All, I have personally received contact from Dr. Cobb that a new hockey facility will be built on campus and fairly soon. It is currently on the new UAA Masterplan. There is some megapolitics involved here. But, I have been assured several times that there will be a hockey arena. Also, there will be mens/womens soccer and all our sports teams will be evaluated to go Division I in all sports when facilities are built. This is NOT hear-say, but straight from Dr. Cobb. I have known him for years.

Comment

For those of you who know me, I do not post rumors or lies. It is truly what I have been told.

Comment

Wolfman,
                      The UAA Masterplan is a touchy-feely "vision" which extends through 2018 and hasn't been updated since 2009. It is largely inaccessible on the UAA website (you get "no permission to view") when you click the various links. While there is language in the accessible portions that "could" indicate plans to build a hockey rink. There is no specific language that I can find which implicitly or explicitly includes a hockey rink on campus. I'm not saying that such intent isn't part of the plan. I cannot see all of it. And if there really was specific intent .. don't you think that they would announce it. Yes, they cannot announce an arena because such a thing isn't funded by the legislature.

Here is the section called "Capital Project Priorities" -- Note that doesn't mention a single actual priority ...
                      A companion to the UAA Campus Master Plan is the
                      UAA Capital Improvements Plan (CIP). Its purpose
                      is to identify specific options for implementation of
                      the master plan one project at a time. The Capital
                      Improvements Plan is a separate document because as
                      each project is accomplished, the range of options for
                      other projects – for possible building sites, for example
                      – is diminished, thus limiting the useful life of the
                      document. By contrast, the UAA Campus Master Plan
                      is a strategic document in which enduring principles of
                      campus organization and improvement are presented.
                      The purpose of the Capital Improvements Plan is to
                      present to the University’s decision makers the range
                      of options open to them in locating each new planned
                      facility. For any proposed new facility, available sites
                      on campus are limited by the supply of developable
                      land, by the ability to access and service the site
                      properly, by functional adjacency needs of the new
                      facility, and often by the need to relocate displaced
                      facilities, such as footpaths, utilities or parking.
                      The CIP is arranged by potential development sites,
                      some of which could satisfy the needs of several
                      different facilities, while others might be suited only to
                      a certain type of development, such as student housing.
                      The characteristics of each site are described, and a
                      conclusion is drawn as to which of the priority projects
                      identified in the master plan could be accommodated
                      on that particular site, and what ancillary
                      responsibilities must be funded as part of the project
                      for each site. Thus the basis for total construction cost,
                      as opposed to isolated facility construction costs, can be
                      generated when a decision on siting is imminent.
                      Characteristics of each site that are described include
                      applicable Municipality of Anchorage development
                      regulations, site dimensions, soil conditions,
                      availability of utilities and services, natural features
                      of the site – such as topography, trees and other
                      plant communities, views, solar access, and potential
                      points of connection to other parts of the campus. An
                      important decision related to specific site conditions
                      is whether parking is to be developed at that site, and
                      if so, what form it should take and where it should be
                      located to minimize interference with higher priority
                      attributes such as winter daylight, views, and safe
                      pedestrian access. Another important consideration is
                      the ability of the site to accommodate future expansion
                      of the facility, and if so, what cost premium, if any, is
                      attached to expandability. It might, for example, be
                      decided that when the need for expansion arises, then
                      an adjacent, older structure will be removed to make
                      space for it. The premium on expandability in this case
                      would be the deferred cost of relocating the functions
                      accommodated by the older building, and the costs
                      associated with demolition and site preparation.
                      Much of the strategic direction provided by the UAA
                      Campus Master Plan can be implemented through
                      application of the guiding principles, and design
                      guidelines. The Capital Improvement Plan provides
                      the tools for project specific implementation that is
                      consistent with the recommendations of the master
                      plan. It packages that information concisely so that
                      University decision-makers can have ready access to it,
                      and are thus enabled to make well-informed decisions
                      about the allocation of investment in campus facilities.

Yes, it's an absurd political cluster-**** that in a state with a $45 billion surplus/savings acount/endowment to get anything into a "Capital Budget". So while Dr. Cobb may see commitment and desire from those involved in actually bringing this "Masterplan" to fruition that frankly isn't enough. They are too scared to come out in public and try to advance the projects they desire and or need for this University.

So instead, they write flowery plans that nobody has to actually back-up and work behind the scenes with the regents and legislators to get whatever they can. It's a chicken-**** way to administer a public institution. But it's understandable when the voting citizenry is thoroughly brainwashed with this so-called "conservative economic" view which frankly permeates the population. You and I may support a hockey rink ... but I promise you the vast majority of voting Alaskans don't. So regardless of any "masterplan" ... I wouldn't count on anything.

The real issue here is that right-wing "conservatives" have hijacked the state's potential resources to hold in abeyance until they can corruptly wrangle them into the pockets of corporations. 40 years of pounding away their propaganda into the heads of Alaskans has worked; the blind citizenry is in full support. There is $45,000,000,000 sitting in an account that will never come out. It is a tool for the power elite in the state to broker for their own benefit and will NEVER be invested in Alaska nor be used for any infrastructure or capital needs.
                      Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Donald, Donald, Donald. You just don't get it. Many of the people on this thread aren't interested in these facts. In their minds Cobb and Shyiak were and are the problems. If we could just get rid of Cobb and get Hill back everything will be fine. The guy we replace Cobb with will jettison any and all sports not hockey related. That will magically conjure up the money for an on campus hockey rink. Then with Hill running the program we will return to the wonderful glory days we had when he was here before. You know the reason he left before was because his assistants weren't on 12 month contracts. He's very selfless that way. Yup, just fire Cobb and hire Hill and everything will be right in Seawolve land. It'll be a great day to be a Seawolve!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                          all our sports teams will be evaluated to go Division I in all sports when facilities are built.
                          careful what you wish for.
                          the far easier way to build a strong DI hockey program is to stay at DII/DIII in everything but hockey. unless you're a B1G, trying to fund DI programs across-the-board is a fast track to competitive mediocrity and endless budget conflict.
                          Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

We're unable to adequately fund the 2 D1 programs we have now. How in the world does anyone think we could fund several more?
                            The politicians could, if they wanted to, flood both UAA and UA_ with money for not just athletics but anything else needed to make both schools first rate if not first class. We had to beg and grovel for the money to get a decent engineering school going. And the only reason it was funded is because the oil companies want the engineers. Instead of funding schools at any level the politicians choose to give multi billion dollar gifts to the folks that fund their re-election. Or in 3 cases what their employers want. Think there might be the hint of a conflict of interest there? As our governor reminds us daily, we're going to have to tighten our belts in these tough economic times.
                            But Dr. Cobb is the problem? Give me a break.
                            We're getting what we voted for. Hockey program and all.

Comment

All,

I am just telling you what I HEARD DIRECTLY. Everything else is up for analysis and speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                                All, I have personally received contact from Dr. Cobb that a new hockey facility will be built on campus and fairly soon. It is currently on the new UAA Masterplan. There is some megapolitics involved here. But, I have been assured several times that there will be a hockey arena. Also, there will be mens/womens soccer and all our sports teams will be evaluated to go Division I in all sports when facilities are built. This is NOT hear-say, but straight from Dr. Cobb. I have known him for years.
                                With all due respect, Cobb has been saying that a new hockey facility will be built on campus for YEARS. He's just tickling your ears.
                                Originally Posted by aparch
                                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X