This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

EVERYONE should be emailing people at UAA (and beyond) and throw out their displeasure in this whole process and the continued reduced interest in the hockey program. The powers that need be need to know that people still care about this program and are only going to know by hearing from people.

Dr. Cobb: srcobb@uaa.alaska.edu

Bill Spindle (Vice-Chancellor, Admin Services): anwhs@uaa.alaska.edu / bill@uaa.alaska.edu

Tom Case (UAA Chancellor): chancellor@uaa.alaska.edu

Pat Gamble (UA President): pkgamble@alaska.edu

Any AND All Regents.....Gamble and the regents have such a record of caring about people's opinions but press is press.

Find everyone's contacts here! http://people.alaska.edu/

And contact your legislators. The University still has to request funding and they should know that people care about this program.

Comment

At this point there is little to be done to rectify the situation. You have a state agency with hiring guidelines that include posting an announcement for a specified period. That period is over and while we might not like the results of the committee who chose the finalists ... they did follow some process that was likely well-defined and defensible. It would be up to individuals who didn't make the "final cut" to appeal independently that they were unfairly not considered.

The University cannot at this point bow to public pressure and reopen the position as that would be unfair to the 4 candidates who did make it through the committee process. They would have every good reason to contest such a move and any one of us in their position would feel slighted and treated unfairly.

The only legitimate action at this point would be to go through the process but not hire any of them. At that point they could reopen the position and accept applications again. But that isn't going to happen because even if they look foolish now in the local public's eye they would compound that by losing whatever amount of integrity that still have to the entire NCAA hockey community.

I think we're stuck with this regardless of how many emails anybody sends to anyone. And the truth is as I've already said ... any one of these four guys will do a comparable job to Shyiak. Yeah ... that's not anything to cheer about but that's where it stands as I see it. I personally don't care (anymore) who they hire. Whoever it is better be prepared to find a way to win and do so in a relatively short timeframe.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        At this point there is little to be done to rectify the situation. You have a state agency with hiring guidelines that include posting an announcement for a specified period. That period is over and while we might not like the results of the committee who chose the finalists ... they did follow some process that was likely well-defined and defensible. It would be up to individuals who didn't make the "final cut" to appeal independently that they were unfairly not considered.

The University cannot at this point bow to public pressure and reopen the position as that would be unfair to the 4 candidates who did make it through the committee process. They would have every good reason to contest such a move and any one of us in their position would feel slighted and treated unfairly.

The only legitimate action at this point would be to go through the process but not hire any of them. At that point they could reopen the position and accept applications again. But that isn't going to happen because even if they look foolish now in the local public's eye they would compound that by losing whatever amount of integrity that still have to the entire NCAA hockey community.
        I think we're stuck with this regardless of how many emails anybody sends to anyone. And the truth is as I've already said ... any one of these four guys will do a comparable job to Shyiak. Yeah ... that's not anything to cheer about but that's where it stands as I see it. I personally don't care (anymore) who they hire. Whoever it is better be prepared to find a way to win and do so in a relatively short timeframe.
        I'm well aware that it won't change what has happened. But what I am advocating for is just continued appearance by the hockey community to the powers to demonstrate that there's still people that care about this program. The more people that make contact the harder it is to turn a blind eye. Just like I think the more people that show up for the coaches interviews the better. If only a couple show up than evidently everybody cares as much as Cobb. So just having bodies at the events should show that people still care

Comment

Oh yeah, he also reminds everyone how busy he is writing about the Aces. You know ... it's a one man show apparently in the ADN sports department. Nobody else could possibly follow-up and cover the issues that are bothering people than Doyle right?
          Granted, I'm absolutely not a Doyle Woody fan, but he's probably not fibbing too terribly about that. Unless you're a CEO, nobody's making money in print. Because of that, in part, newspaper newsrooms across the country are essentially empty.

Why pay another sportswriter $23,000/year when that cash can go directly into the pocket of McClatchy's CEO?
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Anyone read any of the user comments on these articles? Some strong support for Hill in there.

Comment

Personally I could care less what doyle woody thinks. He has done absolutley nothing to promote Seawolve Hockey. Every chance he gets he has bad mouthed and put as negative a spin as possible on the program. Even had to cut short his latest negative post on the program due to having less than an hour to get to covering the aces. I guess the other 23 hours in his day were too full to spend any time on UAA Hockey.
              Some folks are saying the things he put in this latest post needed said. That may be true and airing dirty laundry on the program was right up woody's alley. Think he didn't take great pleasure in putting out yet another negative piece? Think again. It was negative to the program, so of course he was right on it.
              What a total, complete jerk.
              Anyone want to know how I really feel about him?

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                Personally I could care less what doyle woody thinks. He has done absolutley nothing to promote Seawolve Hockey. Every chance he gets he has bad mouthed and put as negative a spin as possible on the program. Even had to cut short his latest negative post on the program due to having less than an hour to get to covering the aces. I guess the other 23 hours in his day were too full to spend any time on UAA Hockey.
                Some folks are saying the things he put in this latest post needed said. That may be true and airing dirty laundry on the program was right up woody's alley. Think he didn't take great pleasure in putting out yet another negative piece? Think again. It was negative to the program, so of course he was right on it.
                What a total, complete jerk.
                Anyone want to know how I really feel about him?
                Take a big breath and tell me how you really feel.
                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                  Take a big breath and tell me how you really feel.
                  Been taking deep breaths for years. The jerk doesn't change.

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                    Scott Warner signs with the stockton Thunder and will make his pro debut tonight against the Aces.
                    Are you a intern working for Doyle Woody?
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Your situation is not very different from Maine's right now, and I'm interested in how it plays-out.

Keep posting what you know, if you have the time.

Comment

The Alaska State Hockey Association has unanimously taken a vote of "no confidence" in Steve Cobb. Here is the ADN Story by Beth Bragg. Here is a link to the Alaska State Hockey Associations Website (no details there or minutes). Here is a link to the last "minutes" they have archived on their site from January 12th, 2013 to give you an indication of the persons attending meetings (i.e... board of directors).

This is a fairly significant public rebuke for Cobb. Of course, it carries no authority but it does have the weight of the state's hockey community behind it.

Below are the first couple of paragraphs from the Bragg story ...

The Alaska State Hockey Association, a group that represents thousands of the state's hockey players, coaches and officials, "resoundingly, quickly and unanimously" approved a vote of no-confidence in UAA athletic director Steve Cobb, its president said Saturday.

In a resolution sent to a range of university and state leaders, the association cited the steady decline of UAA hockey and claimed repeated efforts to reach out to the university's athletic department and hockey coaches have been "systematically met with callous indifference."

The resolution wields no power, but AHSA president Darryl Thompson said it sends a long overdue message at a time when the school is looking for a new coach.

"It's not about the current coaching selection itself," Thompson said. "It's an opportunity to make sure whoever is selected isn't set up for failure by the continued failed leadership of Dr. Steve Cobb.

"... We're trying to send a strong message. What we'd like to accomplish is a change in leadership."

Thompson said there's been talk of such a resolution for a few years, including 2008 when UAA gave coach Dave Shyiak a four-year contract extension in the aftermath of a 7-21-8 season that marked the team's third straight year as the last-place team in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association.
                        There's much more in the article.

Comment

... "no confidence" in Steve Cobb
                          Good for the Alaska Hockey Association!

Comment

I wonder if Corbett will take the job, if it's even offered..? He might be leveraging AF, you never know.

I don't want to see Heenan leave Utica, but he'll beat the bushes for recruits and live in his office for UAA.

That level of fanatical-commitment to any program doesn't necessarily translate into success, but he's done more with less than was ever thought possible way down here in New York.

I think that you folks will like his effort and his results, should he get the nod.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              I don't want to see Heenan leave Utica, but he'll beat the bushes for recruits and live in his office for UAA.

That level of fanatical-commitment to any program doesn't necessarily translate into success, but he's done more with less than was ever thought possible way down here in New York.

I think that you folks will like his effort and his results, should he get the nod.
                              That's good to hear. I wonder if Heenan, or any of these guys for that matter, know what its like to work under Cobb? The article in ADN has to be a bit alarming to any outsider applying for the job today doesn't it?

Comment

The Alaska State Hockey Association has unanimously taken a vote of "no confidence" in Steve Cobb. Here is the ADN Story by Beth Bragg. Here is a link to the Alaska State Hockey Associations Website (no details there or minutes). Here is a link to the last "minutes" they have archived on their site from January 12th, 2013 to give you an indication of the persons attending meetings (i.e... board of directors).

This is a fairly significant public rebuke for Cobb. Of course, it carries no authority but it does have the weight of the state's hockey community behind it.

Below are the first couple of paragraphs from the Bragg story ...

There's much more in the article.
                                Pretty much says it all. I know a long time booster (26 years!) who left the program because Cobb insulted him in an email. I forget the language used, but I think Cobb called him an idiot. Yup, that's how you treat die hard boosters. *rollseyes*
                                Originally Posted by aparch
                                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X