X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
    Problem is that there aren't as many D-1 prospects in Ontario anymore and there is plenty of competition from eastern schools and some of the old CCHAs. Ontario is great for D-III recruits, but the BCHL and even AJHL are better for D-1 level talent. Doesn't look like Heenan has done much in western Canada or the USHL, which is where the most likely recruits for UAA would come from. ..and FWIW, Heenan was not very contrite when he got fired from Union and made some pretty snarky comments on leaving. He didn't seem to get that he had totally dissed the school and his boss with his statements.

On the other hand, Heenan is a very sharp and energetic coach that built a successful team & program from nothing. From what I've heard he is a very good bench coach and program builder. He is also pretty cocky and brash with his comments at times, but maybe that's what UAA needs. When Leaman came to Union he ruffled a few feathers and didn't have many recruiting contacts in western Canada either, but over time he built a winner and built a name for Union in recruiting circles.

Not sure if Heenan is the answer, but best of luck to the Seawolves and hope they find the right person.
    Heenan has landed a couple of talented kids from BC lately, but I don't know if he has any sort of a pipeline there.

He has certainly been "cocky and brash" in the past, too. (He was hired at Union as an assistant a few years back, then un-hired himself by commenting to the Albany paper that he had really been looking for a higher-profile job than Union's.) And, he was once known for shouting vile profanities at his own players in otherwise quiet D-3 rinks... Not cool at all, but he appears to have matured quite a bit since then.

I think he'd be a good hire at any school who has a snowball's chance just by dint of his manic level of commitment, but I'm guessing that Corbett will be offered the job at UAA.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-19-2013, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
      The second UAA assistant (basicly grunt work under shyiak) has been a revolving door.
      For the most part are the grunts. They start at the bottom, get their feet wet and go from there. I bet more than one somewhere in college hockey has shined the boss's shoes.
      Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 04-19-2013, 02:59 AM.
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
        For the most part are the grunts. They start at the bottom, get their feet wet and go from there. I bet more than one somewhere in college hockey has shined the boss's shoes.
        Don Lucia is a good example. He was an assistant coach here for Brush before he got the uaf head coaching job.
        Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Nice find Suze. Oh, and this from the article made me chuckle:

"The two former assistants are not happy as they told Woody Doyle of the Anchorage Daily News."

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            Remember when UAA had to advertise Shyiak's job because he didn't have a green card? Didn't Bretti apply for the job back then? (2006 maybe??)
            I think it was more recent than that. I wanna say '08 or '09. I thought that the reasoning behind it was that the job had to go to an American, unless they could prove that there were no qualified American applicants.

EDIT: It was 2007. But we were both right about the reasoning.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._anchorage.php
            Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 04-19-2013, 02:46 PM.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Scott Warner signs with the stockton Thunder and will make his pro debut tonight against the Aces.
              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by hop-less View Post
                Of the four finalists, I think the logical choice is corbett. Which probably means cobb will give the job to somebody else.
                Just to give you a little background on Corbett.

Recruiting for Air Force has many challenges including finding kids who qualify for the Academy academically, socially [no arrests], physically [strenuous] and mentally [toughness]. So you won't hear Mike make excuses for not landing recruits at UAA. They have to bust their tail to get every player on the Air Force roster.

Mike has many contacts with DU, CC, Air Force, plus the WCHA [NCHC, Big Ten] from his playing days and Atlantic Hockey which could be a huge help in building the nonconference schedule.

I've had many email conversations with Mike over the years and I promise you that any fan that sends a polite email to Mike will get a prompt, detailed answer.

He also has two degrees from DU, so when it comes to selling recruits on the value of a college degree he speaks from experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  I think it was more recent than that. I wanna say '08 or '09. I thought that the reasoning behind it was that the job had to go to an American, unless they could prove that there were no qualified American applicants.

EDIT: It was 2007. But we were both right about the reasoning.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._anchorage.php
                  I found this quote interesting:
                  The ADN has a freedom of information request in for the other names
                  . I wonder if the ADN is interested enough in learning who else applied for the UAA job this time around?
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post

Mike has many contacts with DU, CC, Air Force, plus the WCHA [NCHC, Big Ten] from his playing days and Atlantic Hockey which could be a huge help in building the nonconference schedule.
                    I don’t imagine he will have to inconvenience himself to put DU, CC, or any NCHC team on speed dial for nonconference scheduling.
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Hockey coach receptions set

From the UAA website: http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...CLID=207330360

The University of Alaska Anchorage will host a series of public receptions to introduce the finalists for the Seawolves’ head hockey coach position.

All four events will be held at the Lucy Cuddy Dining Room on the UAA campus, each Monday and Wednesday evening for the next weeks.

The candidates will meet exclusively from 6:30 to 7:00 p.m. with Seawolf Hockey alumni, followed by 7:00 to 7:30 p.m. forums with the general public.

Free parking is available on the west side of campus during the receptions.

UAA Head Hockey Coach reception schedule
                      Monday, April 22 – Michael Corbett
                      Wednesday, April 24 – Damon Whitten
                      Monday, April 29 – Chris Brown
                      Wednesday, May 1 – Gary Heenan
                      That was fast! Hopefully people attend.
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Interesting the D1 assistants are up first. Says a lot about your AD's interest, IMHO.

Comment

So Doyle Woody actually weighed in ... click this

Here's the highlights...

...it seems the Anchorage hockey community is blowing up the in-box of UAA Chancellor Tom Case in regards to the school's search for a new hockey coach. And the authors of those emails, alumni and UAA hockey supporters among them, are not sending sunshine, rainbows and attaboys.

Nor does it help the situation that a number of folks who emailed Case received this reply from his staff: “Thank you for your interest in Seawolf Athletics.’’ Look, we’re sure Case gets a ridiculous amount of email and he and his staff likely can’t answer every one in detail, but seriously, that’s the reply? Might as well respond, “Beat it.’’

The Blog doesn’t have any reason to think committee members aren't working diligently, but that’s hardly a committee with its fingers on the pulse of the hockey community. The coaches on the committee would seem to have a great handle on the challenges and obstacles of coaching and recruiting in Anchorage, which is good, but it is doubtful they have a strong grip on just how disappointed the alumni and community supporters are in the hockey program, or in challenges specific to the hockey program.

UAA could learn something from Maine, which is also looking for a new coach. Maine’s committee includes a former Black Bears player (former Alaska Aces defenseman Peter Metcalf), boosters and supporters, a faculty rep with a hockey background and a Maine professor with a hockey background. That represents a wide range of hockey knowledge.
                          There's lots more words than what I posted here. Not really anything that I've copied/pasted nor anything in the piece is anything that hasn't been discussed here other than some reminders to everyone of just how awful UAA Seawolves Hockey is ... (wouldn't be Doyle if he didn't make sure he got that negative stuff into print every chance he can). Anyway, there it all is. Oh yeah, he also reminds everyone how busy he is writing about the Aces. You know ... it's a one man show apparently in the ADN sports department. Nobody else could possibly follow-up and cover the issues that are bothering people than Doyle right?

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post

Here's the highlights...

There's lots more words than what I posted here. Not really anything that I've copied/pasted nor anything in the piece is anything that hasn't been discussed here other than some reminders to everyone of just how awful UAA Seawolves Hockey is ... (wouldn't be Doyle if he didn't make sure he got that negative stuff into print every chance he can). Anyway, there it all is. Oh yeah, he also reminds everyone how busy he is writing about the Aces. You know ... it's a one man show apparently in the ADN sports department. Nobody else could possibly follow-up and cover the issues that are bothering people than Doyle right?
                            I actually don't have a problem with what he wrote, and that's a first for me. He laid it on the line, and there is no sugar coating the situation with the hockey program. This was long overdue.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              I actually don't have a problem with what he wrote, and that's a first for me. He laid it on the line, and there is no sugar coating the situation with the hockey program. This was long overdue.
                              I agree with you. I just wish he had wrote in the paper and before the finalists were announced.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post

Here's the highlights...

Typical Woody jumping on the bandwagon. Anybody that knows anything about him and his history with the program already knows how much he cares about UAA Hockey versus his precious aces. But I think he finally stated what needed to be said publicly by somebody more than anonymous posters on an online board. While I'm not surprised for Cobb to just blow people off in emails like that (and to some extent not surprised in Bill Spindle, the Vice-Chancellor for Administrative Services a.k.a. Cobb's superior) but I am pretty disappointed in the chancellor if Woody's sources are on track.

Comment

Working...
                                X