This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Of the four finalists, I think the logical choice is corbett. Which probably means cobb will give the job to somebody else.

Comment

Originally posted by hop-less View Post
      Of the four finalists, I think the logical choice is corbett. Which probably means cobb will give the job to somebody else.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Utica had a hell of a team this year.

But for as good of a record as he has, this was his first trip to the NCAA's in 13 years.
        FWIW, Heenan wasn't allowed to recruit in Canada until the year before last. This season, he put together the best record in D-3, by any reasonable measure.

If you look at the rosters of those teams which have made the D-3 FF, they are loaded with 20+ YO's from the OJHL, et al... Just like a lot of D-1 teams.

And Heenan is from Ontario... Might work in Alaska; who knows?
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-18-2013, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hop-less View Post
          *****http://i291.***********.com/albums/ll300/bluemontana/dd1cf3b9-784f-4c19-b1cd-51820a5403dc_zps4768a1ef.jpg******

Cobb here.

Any messages for me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (( *****http://i291.***********.com/albums/ll300/bluemontana/d015.gif****** ))

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            FWIW, Heenan wasn't allowed to recruit in Canada until the year before last. This season, he put together the best record in D-3, by any reasonable measure.

If you look at the rosters of those teams which have made the D-3 FF, they are loaded with 20+ YO's from the OJHL, et al... Just like a lot of D-1 teams.

And Heenan is from Ontario... Might work in Alaska; who knows?
            Problem is that there aren't as many D-1 prospects in Ontario anymore and there is plenty of competition from eastern schools and some of the old CCHAs. Ontario is great for D-III recruits, but the BCHL and even AJHL are better for D-1 level talent. Doesn't look like Heenan has done much in western Canada or the USHL, which is where the most likely recruits for UAA would come from. ..and FWIW, Heenan was not very contrite when he got fired from Union and made some pretty snarky comments on leaving. He didn't seem to get that he had totally dissed the school and his boss with his statements.

On the other hand, Heenan is a very sharp and energetic coach that built a successful team & program from nothing. From what I've heard he is a very good bench coach and program builder. He is also pretty cocky and brash with his comments at times, but maybe that's what UAA needs. When Leaman came to Union he ruffled a few feathers and didn't have many recruiting contacts in western Canada either, but over time he built a winner and built a name for Union in recruiting circles.

Not sure if Heenan is the answer, but best of luck to the Seawolves and hope they find the right person.
            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Ok...the first poll only had 1 of the names correct....Corbett. Funny, the other three candidates weren't even mentioned as a write-in.
              Vote Here on who you prefer based on what you currently know.

--Dre

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                Problem is that there aren't as many D-1 prospects in Ontario anymore and there is plenty of competition from eastern schools and some of the old CCHAs. Ontario is great for D-III recruits, but the BCHL and even AJHL are better for D-1 level talent. Doesn't look like Heenan has done much in western Canada or the USHL, which is where the most likely recruits for UAA would come from. ..and FWIW, Heenan was not very contrite when he got fired from Union and made some pretty snarky comments on leaving. He didn't seem to get that he had totally dissed the school and his boss with his statements.

On the other hand, Heenan is a very sharp and energetic coach that built a successful team & program from nothing. From what I've heard he is a very good bench coach and program builder. He is also pretty cocky and brash with his comments at times, but maybe that's what UAA needs. When Leaman came to Union he ruffled a few feathers and didn't have many recruiting contacts in western Canada either, but over time he built a winner and built a name for Union in recruiting circles.

Not sure if Heenan is the answer, but best of luck to the Seawolves and hope they find the right person.
                To your point Corbett hasn't done any recruiting in canada because Air Force has to recruit Americans. Damon Whitten has but I believe Bill Muckalt does the majority of recruiting in BC while Whitten does more Michigan/Minnesota/USHL/NAHL recruiting. As for everyone being disappointed to not see top D1 assistants or any USHL head coaches make the finalist list. I can guarantee that UAA isn't paying enough to pull away an USHL coach, most of those guys are making at least what UAA wants to pay if not more, that has changed dynamic has changed alot since UAA's last coach search. Top assitants aren't going to leave the comforts of their current position for such a project if they have no ties to the program and probably don't want to work in Alaska. The DU assistants were both retained by the new coach so they're out. What it really comes down to is UAA not stepping up the financial commitment for the coaching staff. Before Michigan Tech hired Mel Pearson, they had the same issues. MTU lost a great assistant in Ian Kallay due to money and his replacement Chris Tok left after only a few years to be a head coach in the NAHL. Both could have stuck around if we had a similar investment that we have now, although I doubt Tok would have simply because he wanted to be the boss. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him try for an open USHL job.

I hate to lose Damon Whitten. I've gotten to know him quite well over the last three years and think he's a great guy. He probably deserves this opportunity and I think he'd do well for UAA. He's a class act and if he could get the right assistants behind him, I think he could do very well for himself at UAA. I think he has the contacts to recruit well out of the BCHL which should be UAA's focus. The new league brings opportunity for increases in success whether just perceived due to the "easier" schedule or not which could rejuvenate the program. I wish him luck in getting the job but selfishly hope he doesn't.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Rehire Shyaik.

Comment

well, whoever the new coach is, at least is going to have one of his own assistants, as according to the adn, Campbell Blair contract was not renewed. Best of luck to Campbell.
                    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                      well, whoever the new coach is, at least is going to have one of his own assistants, as according to the adn, Campbell Blair contract was not renewed. Best of luck to Campbell.
                      Yup, I was surprised by that. When Shyiak was hired it was UAA's policy to keep assistants for one more season, that's why Kowal and Morris stayed on. I feel bad for Campbell, but wish him the best.
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Not positive however I think Morris & Kowal had a year left on their contract and Cobb was too cheap to buy them out. Shyiak didn't want either of them and handled it poorly. It was one of the few times Shyiak, in my opinion, lacked class. Blair wanted out of Maine and Shyiak hired him as soon as he could. The second UAA assistant (basicly grunt work under shyiak) has been a revolving door.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                          Not positive however I think Morris & Kowal had a year left on their contract and Cobb was too cheap to buy them out. Shyiak didn't want either of them and handled it poorly. It was one of the few times Shyiak, in my opinion, lacked class. Blair wanted out of Maine and Shyiak hired him as soon as he could. The second UAA assistant (basicly grunt work under shyiak) has been a revolving door.
                          That may be, but I remember reading it in the ADN about retaining assistant coaches for a year, and I just found the old article that was posted here on the USCHO:

Shyiak just completed his first season as the head coach for the Seawolves and apparently has decided to go in a different direction after adhering to a policy of UAA Athletic Director Steve Cobb’s in that new head coaches retain assistants for at least one year after taking over a program.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2006/05/06/uaa-...#ixzz2QskNXMWM

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Remember when UAA had to advertise Shyiak's job because he didn't have a green card? Didn't Bretti apply for the job back then? (2006 maybe??)

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              That may be, but I remember reading it in the ADN about retaining assistant coaches for a year, and I just found the old article that was posted here on the USCHO:
                              Thanks Suze! You've got a heckofa memory. And to find the thread you're the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                Yup, I was surprised by that. When Shyiak was hired it was UAA's policy to keep assistants for one more season, that's why Kowal and Morris stayed on. I feel bad for Campbell, but wish him the best.
                                It wasn't policy to keep assistants for another year. They still had a year remaining on their contracts, so Shyiak was stuck with them for the next year.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X