This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    A lot of young coaches make moves to get up the ladder. But if there is anything that this pool of finalists should illustrate, the job and what it has to offer hasn't been viewed as very attractive. Where are the out of work experienced head coaches like Osiecki and Markell? Where are the top USHL coaches like LaLonde from Green Bay or Cary Eades? How about top assistants like Brown from BC, Gibbons from St Cloud or Ferschweiler from Western Mich or Brekke from Miami? How about assistants to the recently released Gwozdecky or Osiecki like Lassonde or Rohlik? It's scary for UAA that that was the best of the best they could attract.
    Well, since the last three coaches to come to UAA have struggled and left with their careers in shambles, I don't blame them for not applying.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by bcuafmsu2 View Post
      Heenan taking Utica to the NCAA Division III Frozen Four this year might have been seen by some of the committee as a plus - especially by people who could have been swayed by the words "NCAA" and "Frozen Four". It's a big jump from D-III to D-I, though, in terms of, well, everything.

Things didn't go well with his four days at Union - but as as davyd83 said, maybe Heenan learned a lesson from 2005.
      Clarkson fans can tell you all about it.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        The ADN reads "Following initial phone interviews, finalists will be brought to campus for in-person interviews. During the on-campus interview process, an open forum will be scheduled for the public to meet each candidate". I don't recall that happening when Talafous, Hill or Shyiak were hired.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/04/17/286847...#storylink=cpy

+1 to UAA for letting the UAA & Anchorage community meet the potential coaches. That is a move in the right direction and the kind of thing I'd like to see more of.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          If you want a name from D-3, and I don't know if anyone going to get him out of where he's at, but here's one: Tim Coghin, St. Norbert. What he has done at SNC is simply amazing.
          Tim has done a great job at St Norbert for many many years and he was a terrific player at UWSP under Mark Mazzoleni as well.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskana View Post
            +1 to UAA for letting the UAA & Anchorage community meet the potential coaches. That is a move in the right direction and the kind of thing I'd like to see more of.
            Agreed, especially since the search committee didn't include any boosters or hockey alumni.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

So if he is the head coach at UAA for one year and someone offers him a 15K raise, it would be okay for him to leave? It's the pattern I don't care for. And it isn't up to me anyway, but I am still entitled to my opinion. Right or wrong.

Just look at the assistant coaches that have come through or left the program in the past 8 years. It's not a good track record, and we need more stability than that.
              First you have to identify why they leave. Why did Reg leave? Why did Whitten leave? How about the others.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                First you have to identify why they leave. Why did Reg leave? Why did Whitten leave? How about the others.
                Reg left for a head coaching/GM opportunity in the USHL, although he was let go last year. Whitten took a job at MSU.
                Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Here is the core of the problem for UAA and UAF and their sports programs:

Forty-Five Billion Six Hundred and Seventy-Two Million dollars is the amount of money that Alaska is letting some carpet-bagging elite corporate money manager blowhards play with (and by play with I of course mean invest everywhere and anywhere that isn't named ALASKA). It is money that will forever be sitting in an account and will never be touched for anything; then the economy/banking system collapses again and it's worth nothing. Unless and until Alaskan citizens take control of the Permanent Fund Account they will forever be stuck with a half-arsed state infrastructure and the sorriest excuse for a University system amongst the 50 states.

$45,672,000,000

All in the false name of "conservative economics".

And oh yeah ... it grows by an average rate of $3,000,000,000 dollars a year.
                  Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-17-2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                    The fact is that UAA is just not that attractive of a job for the big name guys. There isn't enough $$$ at UAA or a commitment to growing the program within the administration to lure those guys. It's not pretty to say, but that's the reality.

This. And this would get AD's fired most places but UAA is content with it. DISGUSTING.

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                      Reg left for a head coaching/GM opportunity in the USHL, although he was let go last year. Whitten took a job at MSU.
                      I know exactly why they left. Better opportunity elsewhere, be it in the position or the paycheck. If you want attractive candidates to stay, the position has to warrant it. Sorry, but whether its Alaska Anchorage or Lake Superior or Northern Michigan, there are always next steps and better paychecks ahead. At NMU, John Olver left the assistant's position for a front office spot in the AHL. Rob Facca left for Western Michigan for another assistant position. A lateral move on the flow chart, but a big raise in pay. Were either disloyal to NMU? Not in the least. Better opportunities for them and their families presented themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        I know exactly why they left. Better opportunity elsewhere, be it in the position or the paycheck. If you want attractive candidates to stay, the position has to warrant it. Sorry, but whether its Alaska Anchorage or Lake Superior or Northern Michigan, there are always next steps and better paychecks ahead. At NMU, John Olver left the assistant's position for a front office spot in the AHL. Rob Facca left for Western Michigan for another assistant position. A lateral move on the flow chart, but a big raise in pay. Were either disloyal to NMU? Not in the least. Better opportunities for them and their families presented themselves.
                        Except in the case of Reggie, I believe he took a pay CUT to come to UAA as an assistant. I know why he left because I have spoken to him about it - and it wasn't about money. I didn't expect him to apply and it appears as if he didn't.
                        Last edited by Suze; 04-17-2013, 07:42 PM.
                        Originally Posted by aparch
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Except in the case of Reggie, I believe he took a pay CUT to come to UAA as an assistant. I know why he left because I have spoken to him about it - and it wasn't about money. I didn't expect him to apply and it appears as if he didn't.
                          There were obviously reasons that he no longer felt the position was attractive to him. And I respect your personal conversation with him. But what ever his reason was, that is one thing that needs to be rectified. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Why is anyone surprised about D-III coaches being finalists? We are after all being run like a D-III program.

Comment

Very few jobs in Anchorage or _airbanks pay less than what similar jobs pay outside.
                              Hockey jobs seem to be the exception to this

Comment

• Originally posted by malainse View Post
                                Why is anyone surprised about D-III coaches being finalists? We are after all being run like a D-III program.
                                To be fair Norm Bazin came from D-3 Hamilton to UMass Lowell and only took them from a 5 win the year before arrived to 24 then 27 with a frozen four appearance.
                                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                                https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/