X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
    300K??? wow maybe $150K???
    Yeah 150K is more reasonable, they all seem to think we could get Davis Payne or someone like him (won't happen) 150K seems reasonable to get someone (mainly an alum of the program in my opinion) to get things back on track to being competive in this new league. Take a page out of uaf's book and have an almost all alumni coaching staff.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
      Yeah 150K is more reasonable, they all seem to think we could get Davis Payne or someone like him (won't happen) 150K seems reasonable to get someone (mainly an alum of the program in my opinion) to get things back on track to being competive in this new league. Take a page out of uaf's book and have an almost all alumni coaching staff.
      I'd be curious to see what the stats are for teams with alumni coaching staffs vs non alumni coaching staffs, alas I have a full time job.
      "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
      Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
      The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
      Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
        I'd be curious to see what the stats are for teams with alumni coaching staffs vs non alumni coaching staffs, alas I have a full time job.
        Having an all-alumni coaching staff is a pipe dream for 95% of programs, and certainly - in my opinion - wouldn't be in UAA's best interest. For a program to turn around, you need a great staff with no holes, and a huge part of that is in the recruiting component. The problem that UAA has, is you can get a lot of mid-to-upper level coaches who would take a Head job for 110-150k with relative ease. You're not going to get an upper echelon name guy to take that kind of money, but you can get a young, up and comer, or a guy who's had success in junior, something along those lines. The bigger problem in my opinion is to get a great recruiter as an assistant, you're going to need to have a salary of around 75k to lure anyone worth their salt out of Minnesota, Massachusetts, etc. and relocate to Alaska. You'd be hard pressed to get a stud 2nd assistant to come to Alaska for 40k. What ends up happening is the HC takes the job and hires the "best available" guys to come with him and it falls apart in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
          300K??? wow maybe $150K???
          Well, yeah I agree 300K+ would never happen. Not sure what I was thinking that night.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            Trust that this will the last direct interaction between us.
            So I take it that the Sunday pancake breakfast is off?
            _AIRBANKS: THE "SPENARD" OF ALASKA.

Originally posted by birdman
            No excuses from UAF fans, UAA beat us.

Comment

My prediction is that if cobb doesn't fire shyiak within the next 10 days, he's not going to fire him at all this off-season. Usually teams will part ways with a coach immediately after a season so they have more time to find a solid replacement.

Comment

Agreed. Starting to look like Shyiak stays.

But hey the new (no-ice) arena just found Alaska Airlines as a sponsor. Outside of the Shootout and graduation that building will never have more 1200 people in it. What a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by malainse View Post
                  Agreed. Starting to look like Shyiak stays.

But hey the new (no-ice) arena just found Alaska Airlines as a sponsor. Outside of the Shootout and graduation that building will never have more 1200 people in it. What a waste.
                  And the way the shoot out is going, they may not have that many. Look at the meager attendance they had this year, and that was with the airfare giveaway to lure the ticket sales.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                    Having an all-alumni coaching staff is a pipe dream for 95% of programs, and certainly - in my opinion - wouldn't be in UAA's best interest. For a program to turn around, you need a great staff with no holes, and a huge part of that is in the recruiting component. The problem that UAA has, is you can get a lot of mid-to-upper level coaches who would take a Head job for 110-150k with relative ease. You're not going to get an upper echelon name guy to take that kind of money, but you can get a young, up and comer, or a guy who's had success in junior, something along those lines. The bigger problem in my opinion is to get a great recruiter as an assistant, you're going to need to have a salary of around 75k to lure anyone worth their salt out of Minnesota, Massachusetts, etc. and relocate to Alaska. You'd be hard pressed to get a stud 2nd assistant to come to Alaska for 40k. What ends up happening is the HC takes the job and hires the "best available" guys to come with him and it falls apart in a hurry.
                    We already had an all alumni coaching staff - that team is responsible for the worst record ever ... ZERO league wins. Local is not necessarily the answer, but the right combo of local and outside could work. Blair proved himself at Maine, and I know those fans would take him back in a heartbeat. Maybe he should be considered.
                    Originally Posted by aparch
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Shyiak is gone. You got your wish, UAA.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I hope UAA is good next season in the WCHA next year. I like the program so I would like to see them have a good year.

Comment

Shyiak to not return.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            Shyiak is gone. You got your wish, UAA.
                            Link?

ETA: Never mind, my fellow brony got it.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Should've happened a year ago but contract buyouts aren't really in the cards for our institutions. Good luck in the search, it'll be interesting to see who UAA gets.
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                                everyone's frustrated with the way the program is going. I am seriously hoping some big time changes are made with the start of the Nwcha.
                                I think Alaska Anchorage has a hard time convincing players to go to Alaska. There is a lot of travel and not a lot day light in the winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X