This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Bolted? No he left for a better job. JFC Suze, is everybody who left just an a-hole who bolted? It's ridiculous to think that everybody who comes here must stay for 20 plus years.
    Agreed. I'd bet the #2 assistant at UAA makes ~50k. In this industry, any chance to add to your resume & increase your salary you better take it. That said, he's currently the #2 assistant at Tech so I'm not sure how much his salary has increased now compared to what it was a UAA.

At the end of the day, none of these candidates are looking to come to UAA for the long haul. If they can come in there and have A WINNING season, it will open up big doors. If they come in and have the same track record of their predecessors, then you're right back in this situation in 5-8 years & they leave with some meaningful HC experience...

Comment

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      If I were doing the hiring I'd look at an applicants job history. I like Damon, he's a great guy, but he doesn't have the most stable work history. He stayed at UAA for a mere two years, moved to Michigan State where he stayed two years, then stayed at Tech for 3 years before applying for the UAA job. There is nothing telling me he would stay at UAA for very long, should he get the job.
      A lot of young coaches make moves to get up the ladder. But if there is anything that this pool of finalists should illustrate, the job and what it has to offer hasn't been viewed as very attractive. Where are the out of work experienced head coaches like Osiecki and Markell? Where are the top USHL coaches like LaLonde from Green Bay or Cary Eades? How about top assistants like Brown from BC, Gibbons from St Cloud or Ferschweiler from Western Mich or Brekke from Miami? How about assistants to the recently released Gwozdecky or Osiecki like Lassonde or Rohlik? It's scary for UAA that that was the best of the best they could attract.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        A lot of young coaches make moves to get up the ladder. But if there is anything that this pool of finalists should illustrate, the job and what it has to offer hasn't been viewed as very attractive. Where are the out of work experienced head coaches like Osiecki and Markell? Where are the top USHL coaches like LaLonde from Green Bay or Cary Eades? How about top assistants like Brown from BC, Gibbons from St Cloud or Ferschweiler from Western Mich or Brekke from Miami? How about assistants to the recently released Gwozdecky or Osiecki like Lassonde or Rohlik? It's scary for UAA that that was the best of the best they could attract.
        The fact is that UAA is just not that attractive of a job for the big name guys. There isn't enough $$$ at UAA or a commitment to growing the program within the administration to lure those guys. It's not pretty to say, but that's the reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
          Agreed. I'd bet the #2 assistant at UAA makes ~50k. In this industry, any chance to add to your resume & increase your salary you better take it. That said, he's currently the #2 assistant at Tech so I'm not sure how much his salary has increased now compared to what it was a UAA.

At the end of the day, none of these candidates are looking to come to UAA for the long haul. If they can come in there and have A WINNING season, it will open up big doors. If they come in and have the same track record of their predecessors, then you're right back in this situation in 5-8 years & they leave with some meaningful HC experience...
          Whitten earns about $67k.
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Bolted? No he left for a better job. JFC Suze, is everybody who left just an a-hole who bolted? It's ridiculous to think that everybody who comes here must stay for 20 plus years.
            No, not everybody who comes to Alaska stays 20 years. Not even those who attend UAA. Lots of folks come for the experience or the quick buck and then they're gone. They're not all bad folks but then again some that stay 20 or longer are not all great people either.
            For Suze to use the term "bolted" doesn't make her a bad person either. If you're a wordsmith like your used to be close friend DD you can probably come up with several terms. For me Suze's term bolted causes no heartburn.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
              The fact is that UAA is just not that attractive of a job for the big name guys. There isn't enough $$$ at UAA or a commitment to growing the program within the administration to lure those guys. It's not pretty to say, but that's the reality.
              This says it right there. Until Cobb and Spindle put more of a commitment on the hockey program, no matter who the coach is, they are doomed to fail.
              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Good luck to Mike Corbett in his efforts to get the Anchorage head coaching job. I remember him well from his playing days here in Denver. He has been a long-serving and capable assistant coach on Frank Serratore's staff at Air Force. I think he's ready for the challenge of being a head coach. I hope the Seawolves hire him.
                sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  After TWO years JJ. And then stayed at Michigan for TWO years. Now only at Tech for 3 before looking to leave. Sorry, but that is not my idea of stability.

Did I say that everyone who comes here must stay for 20 plus years? Good grief.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                    Good luck to Mike Corbett in his efforts to get the Anchorage head coaching job. I remember him well from his playing days here in Denver. He has been a long-serving and capable assistant coach on Frank Serratore's staff at Air Force. I think he's ready for the challenge of being a head coach. I hope the Seawolves hire him.
                    At this point I agree. Corbett's the strongest of the 4. If he has success and leaves the program in better shape than when he arrived then good on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                      After TWO years JJ. And then stayed at Michigan for TWO years. Now only at Tech for 3 before looking to leave. Sorry, but that is not my idea of stability.

Did I say that everyone who comes here must stay for 20 plus years? Good grief.
                      If you were on a Job for 2 years making only 50K, then someone offers you a job making 65K would you take it? I know i would.
                      Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                        If you were on a Job for 2 years making only 50K, then someone offers you a job making 65K would you take it? I know i would.
                        So if he is the head coach at UAA for one year and someone offers him a 15K raise, it would be okay for him to leave? It's the pattern I don't care for. And it isn't up to me anyway, but I am still entitled to my opinion. Right or wrong.

Just look at the assistant coaches that have come through or left the program in the past 8 years. It's not a good track record, and we need more stability than that.
                        Last edited by Suze; 04-17-2013, 06:41 PM.
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by bcuafmsu2 View Post
                          Heenan taking Utica to the NCAA Division III Frozen Four this year might have been seen by some of the committee as a plus - especially by people who could have been swayed by the words "NCAA" and "Frozen Four". It's a big jump from D-III to D-I, though, in terms of, well, everything.

Things didn't go well with his four days at Union - but as as davyd83 said, maybe Heenan learned a lesson from 2005.
                          Utica had a hell of a team this year.

But for as good of a record as he has, this was his first trip to the NCAA's in 13 years.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

The ADN reads "Following initial phone interviews, finalists will be brought to campus for in-person interviews. During the on-campus interview process, an open forum will be scheduled for the public to meet each candidate". I don't recall that happening when Talafous, Hill or Shyiak were hired.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/04/17/286847...#storylink=cpy

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

If you want a name from D-3, and I don't know if anyone going to get him out of where he's at, but here's one: Tim Coghin, St. Norbert. What he has done at SNC is simply amazing.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                So if he is the head coach at UAA for one year and someone offers him a 15K raise, it would be okay for him to leave? It's the pattern I don't care for. And it isn't up to me anyway, but I am still entitled to my opinion. Right or wrong.
                                If its to an Assistant job, then no it wouldn't be ok and I doubt he takes it. If its a Head Coach job at somewhere like Michigan State, then yeah.

Coaches move around all the time, it's the nature of the business.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X