X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    It seems like when Talafous was hired, one of the requirements for the job was DI coaching experience. Tally was a DIII coach, and we got a DIII quality coach. I can't believe UAA is accepting, as a finalist, guys with no DI experience. Blair would have better than Brown or Heenan.

If you look at the search committee that Maine appointed to find their new head coach, it makes UAA's committee look pretty pathetic. Same old, same old. Ugh. My bet is on Corbett. Whitten bolted once already.
    He left for more money and a chance to work at his alma mater. Can you blame him? It's interesting how people who want to get rid of one coach will hold it against another for leaving for a better opportunity. Is loyalty a one way street in sports?
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

It seems like when Talafous was hired, one of the requirements for the job was DI coaching experience. Tally was a DIII coach, and we got a DIII quality coach. I can't believe UAA is accepting, as a finalist, guys with no DI experience. Blair would have better than Brown or Heenan.

If you look at the search committee that Maine appointed to find their new head coach, it makes UAA's committee look pretty pathetic. Same old, same old. Ugh. My bet is on Corbett. Whitten bolted once already.
      Talafous had D-I coaching experience as an assistant for 5 years at Minnesota prior to taking the River Falls job.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Heenan is a disaster. He was at Union for a whopping four days back in 2005 before he shot his mouth off and Leaman asked him to leave. Thankfully, he was replaced with Rick Bennett, but it's downright scary to think that Union was that close to never going on this recent run of success.

Union hired Gary Heenan as an assistant hockey coach on Monday, and four days later he resigned to return to his former post as head coach of Utica College. Heenan's resignation came after meeting with Union head coach Nate Leaman on Wednesday and Thursday to discuss comments Heenan made to Utica Observer-Dispatch sports writer Craig Muder for an article published in Tuesday's edition. In that article, Heenan said:

• "The obvious progression is to become the second assistant, but there you do a lot of grunt work and I felt I was beyond that professionally."

• "I envisioned myself going to a much larger school than Union. But with a first assistant's position and going with a coach that's in demand like Nate, that was attractive to me. Nate just coached the under-18 team to a gold medal. I don't think he'll be there all that long."

Leaman read the article online Tuesday evening and was concerned about some of the quotes. He met with Heenan in Schenectady on Wednesday and Heenan also met with Union Director of Athletics Jim McLaughlin. Leaman and Heenan met again on Thursday at which time it was decided that Heenan would resign from his new position and return to be the head coach at Utica, a Division III program. "Comments in the article caused some concern that there may be some disrespect to Union College, the alums of the hockey program that have worn the jersey with a lot of pride, myself, and assistant coach Bill Riga," Leaman said. "It's an honor to be involved with Union College and its hockey program. I am very happy with the direction of the administration and our program. I'm proud of the opportunity to help lead the program, as well as the players and coaches that have come before us in the history of this program." Leaman plans to resume his search for an assistant immediately.
        http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...pdate_0342.htm

Comment

The division 3 guys? Neither of whom is a winner even at that level?
          Whitten's UAA ties? Was he the bottom assistant here for 1 or 2 seasons? Bailed at the 1st opportunity.
          Corbett is the obvious choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
            Whitten's UAA ties? Was he the bottom assistant here for 1 or 2 seasons? Bailed at the 1st opportunity.
            yes whitten was at the bottom, but he did manage to get guys like Sean Wiles & Craig Parkinson to come play here from what i was told.
            Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
              Dave Shyiak is shaking his head today and likely laughing his arse off.
              Sadly I somewhat agree with you.
              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                Heenan is a disaster. He was at Union for a whopping four days back in 2005 before he shot his mouth off and Leaman asked him to leave. Thankfully, he was replaced with Rick Bennett, but it's downright scary to think that Union was that close to never going on this recent run of success.

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...pdate_0342.htm
                And people wonder why coaches and athletes rarely give more than the stock room quotes. Honesty kills. That was also 8 years ago, it's likely he may have learned a lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                  Never been a winner at that level? Are you sure? Because Heenan is 165-119-29 .573 at Utica, 53-23-4 over the past 3 seasons. That looks like a winner to me. Bailed at first opportunity, would you have turned down a raise and a job at Michigan State to stay as the #2 in Anchorage? Gee, what a bum.

Comment

Whitten leaving for a better position isn't something that I would use to entirely disqualify him from the running. At least he left under better circumstances than Hill. I think Hill's burned bridges are much further from being mended than Whitten's.

Maine obviously cares about their program a bit more looking solely at their search committee. Professors, former players, hockey boosters. People that know and care about hockey. Big difference right there

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      He left for more money and a chance to work at his alma mater. Can you blame him? It's interesting how people who want to get rid of one coach will hold it against another for leaving for a better opportunity. Is loyalty a one way street in sports?
                      If I were doing the hiring I'd look at an applicants job history. I like Damon, he's a great guy, but he doesn't have the most stable work history. He stayed at UAA for a mere two years, moved to Michigan State where he stayed two years, then stayed at Tech for 3 years before applying for the UAA job. There is nothing telling me he would stay at UAA for very long, should he get the job.
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83
                        Never been a winner at that level? Are you sure? Because Heenan is 165-119-29 .573 at Utica, 53-23-4 over the past 3 seasons. That looks like a winner to me. Bailed at first opportunity, would you have turned down a raise and a job at Michigan State to stay as the #2 in Anchorage? Gee, what a bum.
                        Not gonna back up on heenan is a loser. Read Dutchfan post and then tell me what a quality person this guy is.
                        However I do appreciate your sarcasim on Damon. Points well taken.

Comment

Heenan taking Utica to the NCAA Division III Frozen Four this year might have been seen by some of the committee as a plus - especially by people who could have been swayed by the words "NCAA" and "Frozen Four". It's a big jump from D-III to D-I, though, in terms of, well, everything.

Things didn't go well with his four days at Union - but as as davyd83 said, maybe Heenan learned a lesson from 2005.

Comment

*****http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37082618.jpg******

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post

Bolted? No he left for a better job. JFC Suze, is everybody who left just an a-hole who bolted? It's ridiculous to think that everybody who comes here must stay for 20 plus years.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
                                Whitten leaving for a better position isn't something that I would use to entirely disqualify him from the running. At least he left under better circumstances than Hill. I think Hill's burned bridges are much further from being mended than Whitten's.

Maine obviously cares about their program a bit more looking solely at their search committee. Professors, former players, hockey boosters. People that know and care about hockey. Big difference right there
                                UAA had a committee like that one time, you know who it got us?

Dean Talafous.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X