PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

drcobbmustgonow
04-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Ok...the first poll only had 1 of the names correct....Corbett. Funny, the other three candidates weren't even mentioned as a write-in.
Vote Here (http://hockeytownak.blogspot.com/2013/04/you-get-what-you-get-and-dont-throw-fit.html) on who you prefer based on what you currently know.

--Dre (http://hockeytownak.blogspot.com)

Shirtless Guy
04-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Problem is that there aren't as many D-1 prospects in Ontario anymore and there is plenty of competition from eastern schools and some of the old CCHAs. Ontario is great for D-III recruits, but the BCHL and even AJHL are better for D-1 level talent. Doesn't look like Heenan has done much in western Canada or the USHL, which is where the most likely recruits for UAA would come from. ..and FWIW, Heenan was not very contrite when he got fired from Union and made some pretty snarky comments on leaving. He didn't seem to get that he had totally dissed the school and his boss with his statements.

On the other hand, Heenan is a very sharp and energetic coach that built a successful team & program from nothing. From what I've heard he is a very good bench coach and program builder. He is also pretty cocky and brash with his comments at times, but maybe that's what UAA needs. When Leaman came to Union he ruffled a few feathers and didn't have many recruiting contacts in western Canada either, but over time he built a winner and built a name for Union in recruiting circles.

Not sure if Heenan is the answer, but best of luck to the Seawolves and hope they find the right person.To your point Corbett hasn't done any recruiting in canada because Air Force has to recruit Americans. Damon Whitten has but I believe Bill Muckalt does the majority of recruiting in BC while Whitten does more Michigan/Minnesota/USHL/NAHL recruiting. As for everyone being disappointed to not see top D1 assistants or any USHL head coaches make the finalist list. I can guarantee that UAA isn't paying enough to pull away an USHL coach, most of those guys are making at least what UAA wants to pay if not more, that has changed dynamic has changed alot since UAA's last coach search. Top assitants aren't going to leave the comforts of their current position for such a project if they have no ties to the program and probably don't want to work in Alaska. The DU assistants were both retained by the new coach so they're out. What it really comes down to is UAA not stepping up the financial commitment for the coaching staff. Before Michigan Tech hired Mel Pearson, they had the same issues. MTU lost a great assistant in Ian Kallay due to money and his replacement Chris Tok left after only a few years to be a head coach in the NAHL. Both could have stuck around if we had a similar investment that we have now, although I doubt Tok would have simply because he wanted to be the boss. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him try for an open USHL job.

I hate to lose Damon Whitten. I've gotten to know him quite well over the last three years and think he's a great guy. He probably deserves this opportunity and I think he'd do well for UAA. He's a class act and if he could get the right assistants behind him, I think he could do very well for himself at UAA. I think he has the contacts to recruit well out of the BCHL which should be UAA's focus. The new league brings opportunity for increases in success whether just perceived due to the "easier" schedule or not which could rejuvenate the program. I wish him luck in getting the job but selfishly hope he doesn't.

uaafanblog
04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Rehire Shyaik.

seawolfpunk
04-18-2013, 03:38 PM
well, whoever the new coach is, at least is going to have one of his own assistants, as according to the adn, Campbell Blair contract was not renewed. Best of luck to Campbell.

Suze
04-18-2013, 06:59 PM
well, whoever the new coach is, at least is going to have one of his own assistants, as according to the adn, Campbell Blair contract was not renewed. Best of luck to Campbell.

Yup, I was surprised by that. When Shyiak was hired it was UAA's policy to keep assistants for one more season, that's why Kowal and Morris stayed on. I feel bad for Campbell, but wish him the best.

Seawolf Fan
04-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Not positive however I think Morris & Kowal had a year left on their contract and Cobb was too cheap to buy them out. Shyiak didn't want either of them and handled it poorly. It was one of the few times Shyiak, in my opinion, lacked class. Blair wanted out of Maine and Shyiak hired him as soon as he could. The second UAA assistant (basicly grunt work under shyiak) has been a revolving door.

Suze
04-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Not positive however I think Morris & Kowal had a year left on their contract and Cobb was too cheap to buy them out. Shyiak didn't want either of them and handled it poorly. It was one of the few times Shyiak, in my opinion, lacked class. Blair wanted out of Maine and Shyiak hired him as soon as he could. The second UAA assistant (basicly grunt work under shyiak) has been a revolving door.

That may be, but I remember reading it in the ADN about retaining assistant coaches for a year, and I just found the old article that was posted here on the USCHO:

Shyiak just completed his first season as the head coach for the Seawolves and apparently has decided to go in a different direction after adhering to a policy of UAA Athletic Director Steve Cobbís in that new head coaches retain assistants for at least one year after taking over a program.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2006/05/06/uaa-assistants-resign-after-contracts-not-renewed/?repeat=w3tc#ixzz2QskNXMWM

Suze
04-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Remember when UAA had to advertise Shyiak's job because he didn't have a green card? Didn't Bretti apply for the job back then? (2006 maybe??)

Seawolf Fan
04-19-2013, 12:24 AM
That may be, but I remember reading it in the ADN about retaining assistant coaches for a year, and I just found the old article that was posted here on the USCHO:
Thanks Suze! You've got a heckofa memory. And to find the thread you're the best.

davyd83
04-19-2013, 12:34 AM
Yup, I was surprised by that. When Shyiak was hired it was UAA's policy to keep assistants for one more season, that's why Kowal and Morris stayed on. I feel bad for Campbell, but wish him the best.

It wasn't policy to keep assistants for another year. They still had a year remaining on their contracts, so Shyiak was stuck with them for the next year.

Fishman'81
04-19-2013, 01:03 AM
Problem is that there aren't as many D-1 prospects in Ontario anymore and there is plenty of competition from eastern schools and some of the old CCHAs. Ontario is great for D-III recruits, but the BCHL and even AJHL are better for D-1 level talent. Doesn't look like Heenan has done much in western Canada or the USHL, which is where the most likely recruits for UAA would come from. ..and FWIW, Heenan was not very contrite when he got fired from Union and made some pretty snarky comments on leaving. He didn't seem to get that he had totally dissed the school and his boss with his statements.

On the other hand, Heenan is a very sharp and energetic coach that built a successful team & program from nothing. From what I've heard he is a very good bench coach and program builder. He is also pretty cocky and brash with his comments at times, but maybe that's what UAA needs. When Leaman came to Union he ruffled a few feathers and didn't have many recruiting contacts in western Canada either, but over time he built a winner and built a name for Union in recruiting circles.

Not sure if Heenan is the answer, but best of luck to the Seawolves and hope they find the right person.

Heenan has landed a couple of talented kids from BC lately, but I don't know if he has any sort of a pipeline there.

He has certainly been "cocky and brash" in the past, too. (He was hired at Union as an assistant a few years back, then un-hired himself by commenting to the Albany paper that he had really been looking for a higher-profile job than Union's.) And, he was once known for shouting vile profanities at his own players in otherwise quiet D-3 rinks... Not cool at all, but he appears to have matured quite a bit since then.

I think he'd be a good hire at any school who has a snowball's chance just by dint of his manic level of commitment, but I'm guessing that Corbett will be offered the job at UAA.

Alaska Hockey
04-19-2013, 02:50 AM
The second UAA assistant (basicly grunt work under shyiak) has been a revolving door.
For the most part are the grunts. They start at the bottom, get their feet wet and go from there. I bet more than one somewhere in college hockey has shined the boss's shoes.

seawolfpunk
04-19-2013, 11:48 AM
For the most part are the grunts. They start at the bottom, get their feet wet and go from there. I bet more than one somewhere in college hockey has shined the boss's shoes.

Don Lucia is a good example. He was an assistant coach here for Brush before he got the uaf head coaching job.

Alaskana
04-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Nice find Suze. Oh, and this from the article made me chuckle:

"The two former assistants are not happy as they told Woody Doyle of the Anchorage Daily News."

Tipsy McStagger
04-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Remember when UAA had to advertise Shyiak's job because he didn't have a green card? Didn't Bretti apply for the job back then? (2006 maybe??)
I think it was more recent than that. I wanna say '08 or '09. I thought that the reasoning behind it was that the job had to go to an American, unless they could prove that there were no qualified American applicants.

EDIT: It was 2007. But we were both right about the reasoning.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2007/01/29_anchorage.php

seawolfpunk
04-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Scott Warner signs with the stockton Thunder and will make his pro debut tonight against the Aces.

dggoddard
04-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Of the four finalists, I think the logical choice is corbett. Which probably means cobb will give the job to somebody else.Just to give you a little background on Corbett.

Recruiting for Air Force has many challenges including finding kids who qualify for the Academy academically, socially [no arrests], physically [strenuous] and mentally [toughness]. So you won't hear Mike make excuses for not landing recruits at UAA. They have to bust their tail to get every player on the Air Force roster.

Mike has many contacts with DU, CC, Air Force, plus the WCHA [NCHC, Big Ten] from his playing days and Atlantic Hockey which could be a huge help in building the nonconference schedule.

I've had many email conversations with Mike over the years and I promise you that any fan that sends a polite email to Mike will get a prompt, detailed answer.

He also has two degrees from DU, so when it comes to selling recruits on the value of a college degree he speaks from experience.

Suze
04-19-2013, 05:45 PM
I think it was more recent than that. I wanna say '08 or '09. I thought that the reasoning behind it was that the job had to go to an American, unless they could prove that there were no qualified American applicants.

EDIT: It was 2007. But we were both right about the reasoning.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2007/01/29_anchorage.php

I found this quote interesting:
The ADN has a freedom of information request in for the other names. I wonder if the ADN is interested enough in learning who else applied for the UAA job this time around?

Alaska Hockey
04-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Mike has many contacts with DU, CC, Air Force, plus the WCHA [NCHC, Big Ten] from his playing days and Atlantic Hockey which could be a huge help in building the nonconference schedule.
I donít imagine he will have to inconvenience himself to put DU, CC, or any NCHC team on speed dial for nonconference scheduling.

Suze
04-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Hockey coach receptions set

From the UAA website: http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13400&ATCLID=207330360

The University of Alaska Anchorage will host a series of public receptions to introduce the finalists for the Seawolves’ head hockey coach position.

All four events will be held at the Lucy Cuddy Dining Room on the UAA campus, each Monday and Wednesday evening for the next weeks.

The candidates will meet exclusively from 6:30 to 7:00 p.m. with Seawolf Hockey alumni, followed by 7:00 to 7:30 p.m. forums with the general public.

Free parking is available on the west side of campus during the receptions.

UAA Head Hockey Coach reception schedule
Monday, April 22 – Michael Corbett
Wednesday, April 24 – Damon Whitten
Monday, April 29 – Chris Brown
Wednesday, May 1 – Gary Heenan

That was fast! Hopefully people attend.